Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like Maccarone is gonna sign for Middles-Bought and there are still rumours about Doni going to the EPL too. Why can't we just keep these players in ITALY. I'm tired of young guns like Dalla Bona, Gattuso, Maresca etc. heading abraod before they even have played in serie A. This is really dissapointing, first for serie A and secondly for himself, cause playing abroad means no chance in the national team for him.

·
Registered
13,354 Posts
This is an interesting thread and one that deserves a big question mark, but also another look.
Yes, some young guns go abroad, but they usually try to come back quickly and some return better. Look at Panucci. Even Vieri came back from the Spanish League w/ a more fearsome approach. It doesn't mean they are gone forever and sometimes they return for the better, realizing how much they loved and missed Italia! ;)

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well both Panucci and Vieri were good in spain and came back and were good in Serie A too, however the Spanish league is more simular to the Italian then the EPL. Sure Maresca and Gattuso came back and succeded but they were "nobody's" in Italy before they left. But When we have a great prospect in Italian soccer like Maccarone who could make an impact in one of our top teams why should he go to England?. It's a wasted talent as i see it.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I find it incredible:eek:

Everyone showed interest in him (Juve & Lazio being forefront).

But i guess everyone wants to continue the usual stuff of buying "big", checked out stars:rolleyes:

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He'll score like 15-20 goals for Boro and then they refuse to sell him back, if they eventually will we'll have to pay the double price they payed for him.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Nick I think that Maccarone will probably make the nazionale after the world cup anyway and if he does well in the premier league he will for sure. He seems like the real deal.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Maccarone is a good player and could be the next Italian striker to take over from Vieri, but moving to EPL may be a mistake. He has openly stated that if an Italian offer came he would take that over Boro but he must not of had any. I know that Parma have been interested and I heard about Juve too, so that is probably why he is taking the Boro deal if he has no other better offers. Why dont he just stay at Empoli for another year and he will progress more. If he goes Boro he will be the main striker and to heavily relied on to score goals and I don't think it would work for him.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I'd prefer to see such a prospect playing in Italy and not England. Middlesborough aren't the ideal choice in my opinion, although they currently have an Italian, Festa, palying there and Benito Carbone and Ravanelli have played for them and done well. I can't believe there's not one team in Italy that wants to sign.

Why do teams in Italy buy useless foreigners, when there's plenty of talent who are as least as good, if not better?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Maccarone may well be another Grabbi. Hyped in serie B and then moving to England.

I also don't know why he's in such a hurry to move away from Empoli. I can understand that he wants to play for a big Italian team, but if he wants this then he should stay in Empoli. Afterall they play in serie A now and if he wants to up his reputation then staying in serie A is preferable then moving to a mediocre EPL team.

And also don't forget that he only scored something like 7 goals in serie B this season, which is not very much for a striker.

·
Registered
13,354 Posts
Great points, everyone. I think it should be pointed out that Maccarone has succeeded recently on another team: the Azzurini. He practically single-handedly got Italy to the U21 semis this year with some great moves and goals.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
EXCLUSIVE Maccarone opts for 'third-choice' Boro

Friday 7th June 2002

Massimo Maccarone only joined Middlesbrough after Juventus and Lazio dropped their interest in the striker. "He waited till the last minute for Juve and Lazio but nothing came so he accepted Boro," his agent Paolo Fabbri told onefootball.com.

After meeting with Boro officials on Thursday, he told onefootball.com: "We wanted to see the town and talk with Boro executives.

"Maccarone also wanted to wait till the last minute for Juve and Lazio offers but nothing came so he accepted Boro."

Serie B side Empoli have accepted an ?.5 million offer for Maccarone and while there are still some contract issues that need to be resolved, Fabbri is adamant the centre-forward will be at the Riverside next term.

He added: "Now we are just talking about how many years and how much money we will receive, but the affair is complete.

"We are sure Maccarone will be a Middlesbrough player next season."

onefootball

=====================================

Mac chooses Middlesbrough Saturday 8 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Massimo Maccarone has now signed a five-year contract with Premiership club Middlesbrough.

The Under-21 international had been a target for Juventus and Lazio, but the two Serie A sides never entered into official talks with the striker.

Only British clubs made firm bids for the £8m-rated hitman and last week he had turned down an offer from Birmingham City.

22-year-old Maccarone was a Milan youth product and this season helped Empoli achieve promotion into the top flight.

He shot to fame in the last 12 months by earning a crucial penalty in his senior international debut against England at Elland Road.

He recently fired two past the English Under-21 side in the European Championships in Switzerland.

“English defences evidently bring me luck,” he had joked after that second encounter.

According to reports in Italy, Maccarone will earn just under £1m per season at Middlesbrough.

channel4

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I think Maccarone wants to be in a team where he can be guaranteed regular first-team football, and there is little chance of that at any of the big Italian, Spanish or English clubs. And I think the good thing about Chievo, Atalanta, Piacenza and Torino is the fact they give a chance to home-grown players who would be denied the opportunity at bigger clubs.

Personally, I don't think much of Middlesbrough as a club at all- they are just self-important, thinking they belong among the elite despite having nothing to back that up, and having a very ordinary team. Steve McLaren must be a very good manager to keep this lot up. This despite the fact my beloved Everton made them look like Real Madrid when we lost to them in the FA Cup :(

I just wished Everton had the cash for a player like him... but never mind, if we need players we'll always be able to find bargains :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
as far as i know , Maccarone was quite forced to leave Empoli , since the Boss wanted to make some money before the talent will be wasted like Pirlo and Morfeo.
so he didn't had much choise if he wanted to stay with Empoli.

on the other hand , Empoli had marked a "dead-line" for final offers to Maccarone , and apperanntly , the other italian sides missed it.

i feel very sorry for him cuz the way i see it , he won't succed at Boro (can anyone ?! :D ) and will become another wasted talent like Morfeo is and like other italians...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I sure hope not. I have always had my expections from Baresi to become the new president of AC Milan or at least manager instead of Ancellotti...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I think some of you are misseing the big cpiture here. Some points:

1) Maccarone, while a good player and with a bright future, is not starting material for a big Serie A team. I doubt he is even good enough. This season he scored 7 goals for Empoli in Serie B and Empoli has one of the best offences in the league. That is VERY average. His accomplishments in Under-21 level though not to be understimated, are anything but a guarandee for his presence in top level. Do I need to remind the story of a certain Gianni Commandini - a prolific scorer in Serie B and the Italian U-21 and currently a struggler at Atalanta?

2) It is not Maccarone who is dieing to leave Empoli. Surely he'd jump the chance to move to Lazio or Juventus or even Parma but we can all agree the name of Middlesbrough doesnt really make him dizzy out of exitment. It is Empoli who wants to sell him in order to finance other operations.

3) His price is 13 million euros. This is a lot of money. Maccarone would be an excellent signing for Bologna, Atalanta, Chievo and the likes but they just can't afford him at this price. Inter, Juve, Parma can afford him but they are not willing to shell out that much money on him- he isn't worth it. Middelsbrough can afford him and got caught up in all the hype.

I don't know if he is a success in England. He probably will, like he would be at Chievo or Perugia. This doesn't make him good enough for the big Serie A teams, or even if he is- they are not willing to take the risk, not at THAT price at least.

Put 2 and 2 together people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't really say my opinion about Maccarone since I still havn't had a chance to see him , but from what I have been told , everything you say is really weird to me.

About Comandini - he is another victim of Milan's Cemetery to talented players , like it was with Robbi Baggio , Rui Costa , Javi Moreno , Cosmin Contra , Luca Saudti , Dominico Morfeo and many others.
As much as i admire the Rossonerri , we have become pittifull in the last few years , including the tear when we won our last Scudetto.

·
Registered
13,354 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Maldini-God. Good to see you posting here Amo.
I think we gotta let time do the judging when it comes to Maccarone. He's one of those prospects that could go either way. I wish him luck and hope he comes back soon.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I don't know why Maccarone would choose a club like Middlesbrough if he went to England... he could have gone to any of the better sides there... like Everton! :) If there's any English team I really hate (other than Liverpool), it's Boro and their bunch of no-marks who think they're prima donas. Sure they've got some good players but overall they're just crap who were lucky to stay up in '01. McLaren must be a very good coach to keep that lot up last season...

As for Baresi, I think it's a sign Al Fayed wants to sack Tigana if Fulham start poorly and he wants a ready-made replacement. Fulham seem *that* desparate to become a PL and European force...

I think it's important, though, that younger players don't think of a move to a big club too soon as it could only destroy their careers if they're unable to succeed. I can see Ball and Jeffers have failed to flourish since leaving Everton...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts