Xtratime Community banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
Southpaw

Incredible cliched crap. Nothing original, already been done before. It starts out promising but goes crap after like 20-30 mins. And then it stays crap. Gyllenhaal with all the effort cant save this script.

Very disappointed in this.

·
¯\(°_o)/¯
5,480 Posts
Southpaw

Incredible cliched crap. Nothing original, already been done before. It starts out promising but goes crap after like 20-30 mins. And then it stays crap. Gyllenhaal with all the effort cant save this script.

Very disappointed in this.
Really? I was looking forward to this. Gyllenhaal :heart:

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
Ok good, i know what type of guy you are if you will like this. SRSLY incredible cliched. Its like it was trying to put together each other boxing movie story in one movie. I had big expectations, i thought this could be great and possibly award winning film. I feel like the director who made this has also gone backwards since Training day. Hasnt done anything better since then. And he was 35 years old then. I thought you are supposed to get better with age as a movie director.

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
I can give you spoilers if you want and some mistakes also.

The cliches: The orphanage upbringing, the devoted wife who gets killed (Rachel McAdams), the ascetic guru trainer who is of course black (Forest Whitaker), the young daughter Billy must win back who goes against him when he doesnt win lol, and then of course the big come back, rocky esque, somehow he ends up fighting the dude who was responsible for his wife death and somehow his ex manager from the good days/trainer is now the coach of said boxer - btw that is one of the mistakes of film also, the shooting is in some conference room or smth after first 20mins of the film where our hero considers retiring from sport with no lose (most successful boxer-cliche), cause of his family (wanting to spend more time with them), then after the show argument breaks through in the hall where this said bad guy says you wouldnt beat me if you fought me. Somehow suddenly there are guns, fight breaks lose and there is a shot. We dont exactly see what is going on but suddenly our hero Gyllenhaal wife has a bullet in her chest. So of course she dies. There is very short like 1-2 min scene where there is questioning, who is responsible of shooting but nothing more. The shooting happened in a place im sure there would have been some kind of cameras. And not a single camera has the fight/shooting in their tape? WTF IS THAT SHIT and movie never deals further with this incident. Surely there are more evidence. I mean this movie is taking place now, not 50 years ago, cameras, people having mobile cameras etc etc. No evidence? WTF IS THIS SHIT

Another flaw is that basically after his wife death he goes completely broke, although he was a successful boxer, and he was a family man. Ok you can understand the psychological meltdown, your wife is dead and she died in your arms, but you dont go broke after this and then losing through this one fight all of your money, its like he goes to jail for 2 years or smth and gets taken all his money away, which isnt the case. And my point is that, i could understand if he was some clueless idiot who wasted all his money on drugs and shit before. But he wasnt, outside the sport he was a devoted family man and normal caring guy, so where does all the money he had before the incident goes that his suddenly like living in a slum. Stupid cliched crap

·
¯\(°_o)/¯
5,480 Posts
Yeah.. jeez, thanks for the effort, but I'd still rather watch the movie with no spoilers :D

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
I have the link for the film if you want :lala: Dont accuse if you have wasted your 2 hours then later. HD quality, not filmed in cinema.

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
I can pm you the link, but then i have to delete the post here so our great mods and admins dont go mad for piracy.

·
¯\(°_o)/¯
5,480 Posts
Thanks, but I have this kickass way of getting it ;)

·
¯\(°_o)/¯
5,480 Posts
I'll probably watch this weekend, didn't realize HD-quality was out already.

·
¯\(°_o)/¯
5,480 Posts
Ok good, i know what type of guy you are if you will like this. SRSLY incredible cliched. Its like it was trying to put together each other boxing movie story in one movie. I had big expectations, i thought this could be great and possibly award winning film. I feel like the director who made this has also gone backwards since Training day. Hasnt done anything better since then. And he was 35 years old then. I thought you are supposed to get better with age as a movie director.
Seen it this weekend, and sadly I have to agree with you. A little less disappointed, probably because you gave me the "heads up" ... but very predictable, as you said... and I was expecting a lot from it (prior to reading your rating on it).

·
¯\(°_o)/¯
5,480 Posts
Ok Jeffo, I promise you that if it ever comes on TV and I come across it by accident while browsing channels, I will maybe watch.

·
MVP
8,980 Posts
I can give you spoilers if you want and some mistakes also.

The cliches: The orphanage upbringing, the devoted wife who gets killed (Rachel McAdams), the ascetic guru trainer who is of course black (Forest Whitaker), the young daughter Billy must win back who goes against him when he doesnt win lol, and then of course the big come back, rocky esque, somehow he ends up fighting the dude who was responsible for his wife death and somehow his ex manager from the good days/trainer is now the coach of said boxer - btw that is one of the mistakes of film also, the shooting is in some conference room or smth after first 20mins of the film where our hero considers retiring from sport with no lose (most successful boxer-cliche), cause of his family (wanting to spend more time with them), then after the show argument breaks through in the hall where this said bad guy says you wouldnt beat me if you fought me. Somehow suddenly there are guns, fight breaks lose and there is a shot. We dont exactly see what is going on but suddenly our hero Gyllenhaal wife has a bullet in her chest. So of course she dies. There is very short like 1-2 min scene where there is questioning, who is responsible of shooting but nothing more. The shooting happened in a place im sure there would have been some kind of cameras. And not a single camera has the fight/shooting in their tape? WTF IS THAT SHIT and movie never deals further with this incident. Surely there are more evidence. I mean this movie is taking place now, not 50 years ago, cameras, people having mobile cameras etc etc. No evidence? WTF IS THIS SHIT

Another flaw is that basically after his wife death he goes completely broke, although he was a successful boxer, and he was a family man. Ok you can understand the psychological meltdown, your wife is dead and she died in your arms, but you dont go broke after this and then losing through this one fight all of your money, its like he goes to jail for 2 years or smth and gets taken all his money away, which isnt the case. And my point is that, i could understand if he was some clueless idiot who wasted all his money on drugs and shit before. But he wasnt, outside the sport he was a devoted family man and normal caring guy, so where does all the money he had before the incident goes that his suddenly like living in a slum. Stupid cliched crap

:howler:

Kind of agree here, in retrospect, though I enjoyed the film.

I need to watch Creed. Curious to know what you thought about it. (without spoilers :doh: )

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
I dont watch Rocky movies (ive seen the first films during childhood but im not a fanboy who will keep going to watch the sequels) Not going to watch this. I didnt watch the Southpaw because of the boxing element. I thought that it would be good film because of the cast and the director. Gyllenhaal is above the average american actor. Also in this forum Southpaw was named in one of the 2015 upcoming films pick to look. So yeah, when i saw it, incredible cliched crap like i said.

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
I have another one to post here:

In the Heart of the Sea

Ron Howard latest film. I dont know what was he trying to achieve here. Felt like a kids film. Weak plot, weak dialogue, i was bored tbh and then the CGI. Bad. I had hard time to finish this. Felt bored after a while, not because it was boring boring as in not enough action but i was sort of expecting something like a Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World type of film here. Very disappointed. Its like a disney film for 10 year olds. And Hemsworth cant act much either.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts