Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched Milan-Man U yesterday and the game was as intense as it could be, you didn't see the ref very much at all. He let the game be played, and if a player fell he let the game carry on until it was a clear foul. The effective playing time yesterday was probably close to 70 minutes or something like that. It was very exciting to watch atleast.

A few days ago I watched Roma vs Juve and the game was destroyed with whistles from the Ref every five seconds, players that were hardly touched fell to the ground, the game was stopped, free kick was awarded and everything slowed down. The effective playtime in the first half was 14 minutes I think. That pretty much sums up how slow and boring that game was. It wasn't intense at all and neither exciting. Eventually it felt like the players were walking on the pitch instead of running and each time they tried to change posession and do something they were interrupted.

This is a huge problem in my oppinion, and it is making Serie A look much worse then it should, I would prefer If the refs let the game just go and not stop it a million of times. Give us some English or German Refs instead, atleast there would be some more action if we had those. Very few Italian refs are above average and unfortuantely the football rules is like the bible for them, which makes it impossible to play for more then 15 seconds before they whistle for something.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Racalbuto
Pieri
Farina
De Santis
Rodomonti

... these are the guys, usually!

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
The flow of the football was evident between Milan vs Manchester because there were very little fouls. Players timed their tackles perfectly and generally the battle in midfield was professionally ochestrated with little or no evil intent.

Roma vs Juve, though, was a very different football match altogether. I don't think you can fault the referee for a naturally ill-tempered match with a host of bad tackles. It was just one of those start-stop games that had to be officiated as such.

·
Registered
46,428 Posts
What Great Outdoors says is true, the games Milan-Man Utd and Roma-Juve are not comparable, easy the former very difficult the latter.
Yesterday Collina showed that he was the ideal referee for the game Roma-Juve. I think that Chelsea-Barcelona was potentially as difficult as Roma-Juve but Collina kept it and just made one mistake when he did not see the player of Chelsea blocking the goalie Valdez on the 4-2. Hey, even Collina can do some mistakes but the way he controlled the game was perfect.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
I agree with you guys but at some point there is a strong difference between foreign referees and italians. Yesterday I could see some actions that in most serie a games would definetly be called foul.

Also, add Collina to that list. In Parma - Inter he was an idiot, for both sides and was truly incompetent!

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Don't forget Paparesta! :yuck:

Sad considering his father was a legendary arbitro.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Papa was good not so long ago, until that Reggina-Juve game and last week at Messina.

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
He's had a fairly good reputation until recently, I was thinking specifically of Milan-Empoli from last season when he sent off the keeper for a phantom foul on Tomasson & Pirlo converted the penalty for the narrowest of wins. Also there was the controversy in Chievo-Milan 2-2 that Papa officiated.

Many said Milan could thank him for the scudetto. I remember Il Corriere had a headline like "Paparesta, goal for the title" :tongue:

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ref's are human too. They make mistakes. We really do need video tapes soon to check offside calls and doubtful penalties. Anuway, the point was that they whistle too much, and with that the games get's incredibly slow and boring.

PS. Treffaloni is the greatest Italian ref, not Collina.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I think Merk last night was very capable as well. Not one yellow card given in the 90 minutes, a very well played match with free kicks but no hard fouls and no controversy.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
sorry but u all have forgot DATTILO and Trefoloni is bad too :yuck: ...maybe not with Juve...but with the smaller team he's

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Maybe Italian and English referees should swap for a season. In England its probably the other extreme - haha you need to break the guy's legs to get a foul.

But seriously, it IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM. Referees must allow the game to flow!

·
Registered
28 Posts
No in England the refs are far worse. Especially in the last two seasons, I've never heard so much complaining from the English about their refs. Theyre truely terrible. In Italy the refs at least know the game, in England theyre just idiots.

Rennie, Poll, and many others are just terrible. I think its Poll whos given 7 penalties to Manchester United in the last 8 games hes reffed for them. Something like that. Rennie owns his own personal website and even has an agent. I cant remember the names of the other ones but English refs are just horrid.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Mike Riley is the worst referee in world football so.... well apart from that Ecuadorian ass who reffed Italy.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Valdrin said:
Also, add Collina to that list. In Parma - Inter he was an idiot, for both sides and was truly incompetent!
I agree he was bad in this game, but overall he is the best Italian referee.

The refs should not talk that much with the players, they should just show that they are the one making the decisions. Totti have probably managed to talk to refs for hours ;)

Everyone make mistakes, but the important thing overall is how they have control of the game and how they leave as little impact on the game as they can. The best referee is someone you don't remember after the game.

·
Registered
46,428 Posts
JKris said:
The best referee is someone you don't remember after the game.
I don't agree. Collina for example, I always remember his bald head whenever he is a ref of a game. :D On the contrary there are young referees who made desasters the few times I saw them but I hardly remember their names.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
ToniSamp said:
I don't agree. Collina for example, I always remember his bald head whenever he is a ref of a game. :D On the contrary there are young referees who made desasters the few times I saw them but I hardly remember their names.
I knew someone would think of that. Sure, just one look at Collina and he is etched in your head. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts