Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel sorry for Korea in a way. One minute they are everyones favourite 2nd team because of their good play and the atmosphere created by their supporters, the next they are hated for their "corruption" of getting refereeing decisions going for them. I've been like this to it has to be said but looking at it a bit more 'detached' from the event i feel a bit different.

Bad decisions have in the past always happened to the lesser known countries and nobody cared a s***t. But once it happens to the elite then their is outcry....that sucks

England and the ball that never crossed the line in 1966, the referee's performance in the Italy v Brazil game in 1982 which contributed to Italy winning 3-2 in the end, also in that world cup the bias towards Spain particularly in their match against a 10 man Northern Ireland (which they still lost). What about Tassotti elbowing Enrique and getting away with it in 1994 then Baggio grabbing the winner moments later. In Mexico 86 everyone knows about the 'Hand of God' and Schumachers assault on Batison (sp?). And what about the whole series of actions and decisions that happened in 1978? More recently what about America being denied a possible penalty against Germany in the quarters a day ago?

Poor decisions have always favoured certain teams, especially the country that hosts the WC but this is perhaps the first world cup that those who have benefited most from poor ref decisions in crucial games are not the football superpowers. In the Italy v Korea game, there were referee mistakes, of that there is no doubt about it - but had Italy done the job adequately and Vieri not missed an easy chance in the last minute then all the 'match fix' would never have occurred. In order to fix a match is it not living a bit dangerous for it to go to golden goal and pens? Why should the superpowers like Italy and Spain have a divine right to beat the lesser nations, and have all the decisions go for them just because they have famous players. Bottom line is that both Italy and to a lesser extent Spain (when they were without Raul at least), were not at their best in this tournament and did not do enough to put their matches beyond reasonable doubt. So what if decisions went against them to put them out, they have had their fair share of 'bias' and luck going for them in the past, but back then the allegations of corruption and fixing by FIFA were never brought up...

Back to today - I still would prefer Spain to remain in the tournament, and they were certainly the victims of terrible decisions today by underqualified officials as well as under performing themselves- but victims of corruption and a FIFA plot? i dont think so

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Yea I'm getting sick of this. This World Cup is turning out to be all about $$$$$ & Politics. Dawn FIFA

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
The fact that it indeed is a phenomenon from "all times" prooves that it is not corruption but the fatc taht referees on a WC are under enormous pressure and therefore make mistakes. It is only human certainly when you're not used to lead games on this level.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Putting Refs fro minow footballing coutnries to ref a quarter final of a world cup does not help.

As France, Argentina and Portugal all left in the first pahse, I'm sure that any of their refereeing representatives woudl ahve done a much better job that this egyptian guy!

·
Registered
164 Posts
There's nothing new under the sun, referees are human and they make mistakes, we argentinians got screwed more than once to the host country during a world cup(Italia 90) and more than once the refs benefitted us(hand of god).I was thinking that they were favoring Brasil in this world cup, until I saw that England game in which Ronaldinho was unfairly expelled, leavin them to dafend a one goal lead with 10 players, meanwhile a lot of players such as Beckham and Owen were taking a dive in the penalty box every five minutes to cheat their way out, but the fact is that the ref never bought it, thank god. FIFA need's to find a way where the ref can see the replay on a monitor and than make a call.Like this there won't be anymore controversy and cheating will be caught and punished accordingly.Remember tha game in which the Italian Tomassi was expelled for diving?that was way too harsh, but do you remember when FIFA said that they would punish players that took dives? well, the ecuadorian ref was applying what FIFA told him and the other refs were not so, FIFA needs to set the guidelines straight.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
What we are seeing happening is the best sport in the world being destroyed bit by bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts