Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Infact they seem to have gone backwards.

They don't have a true world class player of the caliber of Ballack, Ronaldinho, Lampard. Totti is a thing of the past.

Their youngsters are not even close to their counterparts from other countries .. Rooney, Messi, Cesc.

As a whole their squad is clearly inferior to teams like Argentina, Brazil, England just to name a few favourates.

Italy's greatest chance to win a trophy passed in euro00.

Do you see another potential repeat of euro04, wc02? I truely don't think they can get past the second round

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
who cares? its not about whos got the better players..its about whos tacticaly aware and making the most out of there ability. In thoery italys 1994 team should have shitted all over brazil cos player wise they had a better team in my honest opinion..and they got beat by ireland

its about being a machine of a team..not flair..why hasnt argie won shit since diego in 86,,,cos they havent ha d aplayer since and messi isnt diego maradona, period..its about being tough ...

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Calcio100 said:

They don't have a true world class player of the caliber of Ballack, Ronaldinho, Lampard. Totti is a thing of the past.

Their youngsters are not even close to their counterparts from other countries .. Rooney, Messi, Cesc.

As a whole their squad is clearly inferior to teams like Argentina, Brazil, England just to name a few favourates.

Do you see another potential repeat of euro04, wc02? I truely don't think they can get past the second round
:howler:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Calcio100 said:

You are right,Italy dont have any good players except Buffon,Canavaro,Nesta,Maldini,Zambrotta,Pirlo,Camoranesi,Luca Toni,Gilardinho,Inzaghi,Del Piero... :)

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mirza said:
You are right,Italy dont have any good players except Buffon,Canavaro,Nesta,Maldini,Zambrotta,Pirlo,Camoranesi,Luca Toni,Gilardinho,Inzaghi,Del Piero... :)
Maldini ... he is past it. Remember how some Korean dude made a fool ot of him to knock Italy out.

You serioulys rate Canavaro and Nesta :googly: I pity you

In that list only Inzaghi and Buffon are players to worry about.

How many tournaments should Del Piero suck in for people to see that he was just a made up hero. Italy's desperate attempt to see baggio's successor

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
calcio 2000 this team is better then our wc 2002 team...man..why are there so many morons on xtratime...worry about inzaghi???...how about worrying about the amount of headers luca toni and gilardino are going to score..

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Ignore him, he doesnt rate Canna or Nesta ffs :howler:

I even doubt that he sees Del Piero or Zambrotta + Camo.

and yeah, Pirlo, Gattusso, Toni and Gila suck :howler:

Del Piero = 10 serie a goals
Toni = 22 serie a goals
Gila = 15 or 17 i think serie a goals

Camo is one of the top assisters :)

Buffon is back and the azzurri currently rocks :)

end off. pitty thread.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
yeah, Lippi is class also.

also the last friendlies italy played, they dont mean much but:

Holland 1-3 Italy
Italy 4-1 Germany (without Zambo, Gattuso n Totti).

Italy should compete for atleast the semis of the WC.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Italy have a team... this is the first team Ive seen ina long time which knows what they are doing for Italy. We also have players who think it could be their last chance of success so thry will be hungry. We may not win it, but I think we will have a good WC and we are definitely better on paper than 4 years ago.

Buffon > than the Buffon back then.
Zambrotta > Panucci
Nesta = Nesta
Cannavaro = Cannavaro
Grosso > Coco
Camoranesi = Zambrotta as a winger anyway.
Pirlo > Di Biagio
Gattuso/De Rossi > C.Zanetti

The attack is tough to decide but surely Toni is in such form that makes him crucial, and this time we have another true goalscorer in Gilardino.

Anyway I will say that the team of 02' was in bad confidence because players such as Tommasi, Di Biagio and so on were on their way down at this stage while Coco wasnt good enough and Maldini was just returned from injury. We had good attackers that year, yet we missed chance after chance (although we scored 10) so Im not sure.

All I will say is that we have a great team this year and so we will see.

·
Registered
45,533 Posts
Deano said:
Italy have a team... this is the first team Ive seen ina long time which knows what they are doing for Italy. We also have players who think it could be their last chance of success so thry will be hungry. We may not win it, but I think we will have a good WC and we are definitely better on paper than 4 years ago.

Buffon > than the Buffon back then.
Zambrotta > Panucci
Nesta = Nesta
Cannavaro = Cannavaro
Grosso > Coco
Camoranesi = Zambrotta as a winger anyway.
Pirlo > Di Biagio
Gattuso/De Rossi > C.Zanetti

The attack is tough to decide but surely Toni is in such form that makes him crucial, and this time we have another true goalscorer in Gilardino.

Anyway I will say that the team of 02' was in bad confidence because players such as Tommasi, Di Biagio and so on were on their way down at this stage while Coco wasnt good enough and Maldini was just returned from injury. We had good attackers that year, yet we missed chance after chance (although we scored 10) so Im not sure.

All I will say is that we have a great team this year and so we will see.
I was doing a similar job, Deano, and I pretty agree with you but the fitness of the players must be considered.
During the season 2001-2 Doni was great, he even had a formidable performance in Japan with the Italian NT, then got injured just before the world cup and he was shìt during it (and till now).
I fear that Buffon 2002 > Buffon 2006 for example because of the injury he suffered at the beginning of this season. I hope he does not think too much to it cause for a goalie is fundamental to be reckless.
I also fear that Totti 2002 > Totti 2006, just from a physical point of view. You need time to recover 100% from ankle injuries and even if he could be ready for the world cup I doubt that he will be at his best.
Finally, I hope that Lippi will use Zambrotta on the right flank cuase otherwise Zaccardo or Bonera or Oddo are surely <<< Panucci (even if Panucci had that blunder during the game against Korea).
I'm more confident on the forwards. At least cause Lippi, contrarily to Trapattoni, uses them. ;)

·
Banned
734 Posts
Calcio100 said:

wow well ok, i mean sure they dont have a really young promising young player in this world cup,but im sure you are familiar with lupoli and rossi. the thing with italy is that young players must go threw the under 21 team first

Ballack is 29 so is totti yet totti is a thing of the past, stay off whatever you are on, and make some sense

·
Registered
505 Posts
Probably the 2nd best team i the world at the moment (after Brazil) and yet they dont have a chance just cause they dont own a Rooney or Messi

Denmark 4-1 England ---with Rooney
Argentina 2-3 Croatia----with Messi
Italy 4-1 Germany
" " 3-1 Netherlands---with our things of the past

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
ToniSamp said:
I was doing a similar job, Deano, and I pretty agree with you but the fitness of the players must be considered.
During the season 2001-2 Doni was great, he even had a formidable performance in Japan with the Italian NT, then got injured just before the world cup and he was shìt during it (and till now).
I fear that Buffon 2002 > Buffon 2006 for example because of the injury he suffered at the beginning of this season. I hope he does not think too much to it cause for a goalie is fundamental to be reckless.
I also fear that Totti 2002 > Totti 2006, just from a physical point of view. You need time to recover 100% from ankle injuries and even if he could be ready for the world cup I doubt that he will be at his best.
Finally, I hope that Lippi will use Zambrotta on the right flank cuase otherwise Zaccardo or Bonera or Oddo are surely <<< Panucci (even if Panucci had that blunder during the game against Korea).
I'm more confident on the forwards. At least cause Lippi, contrarily to Trapattoni, uses them. ;)
With regards to Buffon he seems the same. I think the injury to Totti can be crucial but then... Del Piero > the Del Piero of 2002 which is surely a bonus should Totti not recover.

I think we had worse injuries and fitness wories in 2002, this year the players seem more confident (which makes up for tiredness sometimes) and also Totti is the only big injury (unless De Rossi's proves bad today).

I really hope Pirlo, Nesta, Zambrotta and Cannavaro do not suffer before the WC becoz then we have a chance.

Zambrotta is crucial actually and I have forgot. He will need some games soon as he has been injured a bit so far in 2006 but I am always confident with Zambrotta even when he is not at total 100%

1 - 20 of 57 Posts