Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eight bids for EURO 2012
Tuesday, 1 February 2005
Ten national football associations, involved in eight bids, are starting out on the road which they hope will end in them hosting the UEFA European Championship finals in 2012.

Solo and joint bids
UEFA said that the associations of Azerbaijan, Greece, Italy, Romania, Russia and Turkey had informed the European governing body that they were interested in making solo bids for the event, while Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine are going for joint bids. The deadline for registering interest was yesterday.

Previous experience
Several of the associations have previously applied to stage a EURO final round, while in Italy's case, they hosted the 1980 finals, and an abridged final phase from the semi-finals onwards in 1968.

EURO 2008
Greece - the reigning European champions - and Turkey made a joint bid for UEFA EURO 2008™. Croatia did likewise - with Bosnia-Herzegovina - while Hungary and Russia were solo bidders. In December 2002, UEFA chose Austria and Switzerland as joint hosts of EURO 2008™.

Two phases
The bidding process for EURO 2012 has been split into two phases, as a means of saving resources for UEFA and the bidding associations. The first phase will lead to the pre-selection of three bidders, and the final decision on the host association will follow in a second phase.

December 2006 decision
The first phase will see candidates present their initial bid dossiers by 21 July 2005. Consequently, the UEFA Executive Committee will draw up a shortlist of three candidates in November 2005, and following a period where the candidates can fine-tune their bids, the Executive Committee will take the final decision on the hosts of EURO 2012 in December 2006.

Two-step procedure
"We will give [the bidders] all the material to prepare the first stage of the bid," UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson told uefa.com as the first major EURO 2012 deadline expired. "We now have a similar system as they have for the Olympic Games – a two-step bidding procedure.

Six-year preparations
"The candidates will have to return to UEFA with the necessary guarantees and make their proposals, and then there will be a first evaluation, followed by a second step, to enable a final decision to be taken in 2006. That means that the preparations for 2012 will last for six years.

Wishing candidates well
"We are delighted with the level of interest shown by our member associations in hosting the final tournament of the European Football Championship 2012, and wish all candidates the best in their work over the next few months."

Bidding requirements
The detailed bid requirements will be sent to the interested associations on 8 February and will be published on uefa.com.

uefa.com

It will be great! :thmbup:

·
Registered
14,901 Posts
Poland and Ukraine also want to make eUro 2012 but it's imposible I think :( :(

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Euro 2012 in Azerbaijan?:D Vallah, even our newly-built stadiums don't suit for such great event. It seems that AFFA have big plans in future;) Tofik Bahramov's stadium gonna be our San Siro or Nou Camp:D

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I doubt it'll happen guys, I know Turkiye put in a bid as well but it seems to me that it will go to Italy.

Maybe we should put in a joint bid sometime in the future, that'd be cool :D

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
That's weird. :googly: I mean I saw footage of the stadium Azerbaijan played S&M in (yea yea don't remind me :rolleyes: ) and it looked like a municipal 2-4000 seater. Azerbaijan would need to build like what, 6-8 new stadiums?

I think it will go to Greece.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i dont think its gona be in azerbaijan but if we have more new stadiums like in lankaran and evlack maybe

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
PFCNeftchiBaku said:
i dont think its gona be in azerbaijan but if we have more new stadiums like in lankaran and evlack maybe
Yaxşı da:)
Even new stadiums built don't suit european standarts, and have very little capacity.

·
Expecto patronum!
13,563 Posts
For for you guys, even u don't get the EURO, still you've made a good jop applying. I don't know much about Azerbaiyan, but your stadiums must be at least with 30 000 capacity. I've seen your biggest stadium when Macedonia played 1:1 in Baku and it's not bad. What is its capacity? 20 000?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
We have decent sized stadiums in Ganja (20.000) and in Sumgait (15.000) but they are in very poor conditions. We need to first modernize the stadiums we currently have and bring them up to european standards, and in the future build a new modern stadium with about 50.000 capacity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This bid to host EURO-2012 seems funny for now. I even smiled to it. But what i see at the moment is that there is a very hot and burning start for the development of football infrastructure in Azerbaijan right now. Every club is growing from day to day and nothing can stop it. But the problem is that we started very late. Eventhough the rate of development is very high we still need a lot time for hosting EURO... But i think that 4 years later we can bravely say that maybe we will host EURO 2020!
It is 15 years later but for the country like Azerbaijan is very good indication!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts