Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MVP
9,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the away-goals rule.

During the extra time periods, should the away goals rule still apply? I believe there is a minor conflict with the concept of "if the teams are still drawn, then the match is decided in a penalty shoot-out".

For example, Bayern 1-1 Getafe at 90 minutes, then 2nd leg Getafe 1-1 Bayern after 90 minutes, and 3-3 AET (4-4 on aggregate). The away goals rule obviously applies here, therefore Bayern "win". Despite the score still being a draw; shouldn't the match be decided on penalties, since the rules of extra time say that if teams are drawn, then there shall be PK's?

The away-goals rule eliminates such a possibility.

I think it shouldn't apply after 90 minutes.

Maybe not a critical issue in football, but I was just thinking about it last night.

Plus the commentator was confused last night when Luca Toni equalised, as he himself wasn't sure if the game was to go on PK's or Bayern qualified :howler:

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
It should apply. the Xtratime yesterday was played in Getafe's stadium, so Bayer should have an advantage.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
i think it shouldnt. i believe there was a thread on here before on this subject, and the point was brought up that the home team of the second leg doesnt have the extra 30 minutes from the first leg.

say for example yesterday, both scores were the exact same after 90 minutes in both legs. going into the quarter finals it was a lottery on who plays at home first, so no one is going in with an advantage (technically speaking). but bayern were given 30 more minutes of "away goal time" which getafe didnt get yet the scores in both games after 90 were the same.

abolish away goal rule during extra time.

·
Registered
44,373 Posts
I don't like the away-goal rule, but I guess it can stand.

We would probably see a lot more open football, but you never know, there could be two 0-0's and then penalty kicks.

You can't get everything in life.

·
Registered
70,660 Posts
I´m not a big fan of this rule during the extra-time.

Anyways it´s accepted by all and you have to deal with it.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I would be a proponent of abilitioning the away-goal rule in the extratimes. Yes, you have to play 30 more minutes away from home, but look at it from a different angle: you also have 30 minutes more to try score that vital away goal. I think when after 2x 90 minutes it is a tie, there need to be extra-times as if a new third game was starting. No away goal rule.

Also, in the margins of this debate, I would abolish penalty kicks and re-introduce the golden goal. Penalty kicks have nothing to do with capabilities, but with luck. It is a lottery. Given the high amounts of money and prestige involved with going to a semi-final for example, I think it is harsh to the losing them when they only lost on penalties which is not the same as being beaten by a better team. Penalties are a matter of mostly luck, so to let this decide on a fixture (and millions of euros attached to this) is not much different from a coin toss to decide who proceeds. I would re-introduce the golden goal ; not an ideal system maybe, but still more honest than penalty kicks.

·
Registered
I M Inter Milan I M
25,062 Posts
As it stands it's only fair that the team that plays the extra-time away from home has the advantage of the away goal rule. Both teams have an advantage each.

It's not perfect though. Maybe in the name of fairness the good old fashioned coin toss should be re-introduced. :undecide:

Or just go directly to penalty-kicks. Not sure if a home crowd would have a negative or positive effect on this.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Just look at the Copa Libertadores where everything ends in a penalty shootout because there is no away goals rule.

I like it, it spices things up.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think the away goals rule favor the the away team during extratime. The reason is that by then, the away team should've gotten comfortable enough that playing home or away doesn't matter in terms of performance. Plus, having a "draw to win" advantage is not compensated by the disadvantage of playing away.

I think they should not have extratime, but just go to penalties immediately.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
I think the away goal rule should be abolished altogether. I havn't really heard the real reason of why it's in place so far. It seems like a pretty silly rule if you ask me.

·
Registered
I M Inter Milan I M
25,062 Posts
away goals rule sucks. If matches end 0-0 in the first leg and 1-1 in the second then why not just use extratime?
Because then Inter might actually advance from the CL playoffs? :(

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
The away goals rule would encourage teams to play attacking football away from home as well (because the away goal is often vital) instead of building a defensive wall hoping to just keep the 0-0 and finish it off at home.

In practice the system has rarely had the desired effect. Lot of teams still focus on keeping tight defense away from home, hoping to finish the opponent off at home. I doubt the away rule has often influenced the tactics of teams in the European cups.

I am in favor of the golden goal. It may not be perfectly fair, but it seems more fair than penalty kicks or away goals rule. Must say, penalty kicks are often the most exciting and entrancing part of a football game, it adds the sort of spice and tension that football is all about. But as fun as it can be, it isn't really fair when the decision of which team proceeds is based on a lottery and pure luck.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I agree that it shouldn't apply. I think once you take away goals into account over two legs and the score is still even, it marks a point where you start with a clean sheet so to speak, and for the next 30 minutes no team has an advantage.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I think that once it gets to extra time, all fans should get sent home and the away goals rule abolished. Seems the fairest way.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Because then Inter might actually advance from the CL playoffs? :(
Inter is smarter than you think, in a CL match against valencia they scored a goal in the 10th minute and defended the rest of the match, then in Mistalla they scored in the first minute and successfully defended for the other 89 minutes.

·
Registered
18,337 Posts
The away goal rule SHOULD STILL APPLY in extra-time. It's ridiculous to give the sole advantage to the home team. The players are tired, etc, the crowd energy is a huge advantage to the home players.

Start "with a clean sheet"? I don't call 80000 fans cheering on a team called a clean sheet. La Porka's solution makes more sense that way, and none in another :pp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts