Xtratime Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IFA chairman Avi Luzon has announced his intention to reduce from next season on the maximum limit of the team budgets. For Luzon, this way the league will be more competitive and more qual giving chance for the medium and small clubs to compete with the big clubs.

Luzon, has been causing some fuss in the media when he announced that from next season on Ligat Ha Al and Liga Leumit will increase teams from 12 to 16 and the number of foreigners will reduce from 5 to 4 in Ligat Ha Al and 3 to 2 in Liga Leumit.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
485 Posts
looking back and first reading about what Luzon wanted to do with the foreigners, i was very skeptical. Lately though, its been growing on me. Ligat Ha'al is not a league for semi-quality foreigners. No top player would wanna come here unless they are going to get paid very well, which a team like Beitar would only be able to accomplish.

If teams are going to keep bringing in the crap that they are doing right now, then reduce the number of foreigners and PLEASE lets focus on local talent!!!!!!! DEVELOP our boys!!!!

Increase the standard of training by pumping more money into facilities and coaches.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
ditto with lior, i like what Luzon is doing so far, that money being used to bring no good foreigners should be used on the youth systems and infrastructure, a thing much needed in the israeli football escene! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
This doesn't sound too good to me. It's like a mini-version of the NBA's salary cap. Because of that financial system, the NBA is starting to lose talent to European leagues. The Israeli league doesn't need that, because if that rule does come into effect, Israeli teams will never be able to compete sucessfully in European competitions. Unfortunately for Beitar, they can't seem to do anything right in Europe, but they still provide tough competition in the domestic league and cup. That is what drives the other teams to become better and want to challenge for the title too. If Luzon is going to "dumb down" all the teams so they can be "equal", then we're going to have a league with the same strength and quality like the Irish league. Luzon is too focused on what is going on now, but he has to keep an eye on the future too. Maccabi was recently bought by a billionaire, Beitar already has an owner with deep pockets, and Haifa and Netanya are right behind them. Rich men have started to invest a lot of money into the league and it's only a matter of time before the smaller clubs get picked up by men/women with bigger pockets. That's where the competition will come from, because then there will be expectations and pressure. Until the late 90s, Israeli teams were more domestic and were not as rich. I think Israeli Football is at the beginning of a new era of competition, which includes great expectations and tremendous pressure. Luzon cannot chicken out, because it hasn't happened in any of the top 5 leagues yet. In England, you have Man Utd., Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool that are usually the top 4. However, they don't place a salary cap on the league and there are still upsets and surprises. Didn't Bnei Sachnin beat Beitar twice last year? And didn't Kiryat Shmona and Bnei Sachnin finish 3rd and 4th in the league last year?

There will always be upsets and surprises in the league and that won't change with a salary cap. However, a salary cap will greatly diminish our chances in Europe...

·
Registered
947 Posts
luzon hates beitar maybe that was the reason he wanted this salary cap, but IMO a salary cap is a bad idea because salary cap means bad foreign players and that is not beneficial for the israeli league, i rather see expensive foreigners like abreu, boateng or colautti than cheap unnecessary foreigners.

look at the russian league, since all the oligarchs buyed russian teams not only the league gets better (zenit st-petersburg uefa cup champ 2008) also the national team improved because of the good foreign players that helped the russian players to get better.

BTW 12 team league is better for israel than a 16 team league because 4 more shit small teams are not necessary for the israeli league (more uninteresting matches) and this playoff is also only a waste of time.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
The foreginer i have no problem about...but the team caps is bad.

He should look at how the NHL dealt with it and it dealt pretty bad...
so i dont think it would be smart...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts