Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
32,026 Posts
I took TTM's advice and went in cold, but I didn't really enjoy it.

With a new film coming up, my queston stands:

Going to watch this tomorrow. Any articles or Youtube vids I could check out beforehand? Havent watched a Marvel film probably since the first Iron Man and not familiar with the comic books either, unfortunately.
Also, which films do I need to see? The others with 'Avengers' in the title? What is the Guardians again, a different tag team? The entire MCU is a mess, looking from the outside.

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
I took TTM's advice and went in cold, but I didn't really enjoy it.

With a new film coming up, my queston stands:

Also, which films do I need to see? The others with 'Avengers' in the title? What is the Guardians again, a different tag team? The entire MCU is a mess, looking from the outside.
For the story of Infinite Wars, you basically needs the after credit scenes. For the characters... Probally Guardians of the Galaxy because they introduce Gamorra, the Third Thor movie that show more or less where the movie begins, Black Panther (mostly because it is the best of the lot and you need some diversity in your life) and it is where the movie ends.

Spiderman Homecoming, doctor strange, Captain Marvel, any avenger movie and Captain America are not that important. (And the Ant-man movies for the next movie either). Specially if you are not into comics, will be a waste of time. (perhaps a waste to watch any of the movies).

Guardians are a space opera ragtag team. The only real importance is that Gamorra is Thanos "daughter". In the comics, most of the members are rejects, the comic book was mostly made for laughs and at some point they came from future and had ties with avengers.

·
Registered
32,026 Posts
It's mostly because I want something other than Star Wars to bond over with my brothers and nephews/nieces. Yeah, ideally I should've read the comics - though I'm pretty sure none of them have.

It also annoys me a bit that I have at least so far been put off by the superhero content and CGI-heavy style. I get this nagging feeling that I'm like the pre-Cahiers / Andrew Sarris critics who prefered Serious films by Stanley Kramer and George Stevens over Hitchcock and Hawks and disregarded genrefilms altogether, especially B or C films. Or those who thought Clint Eastwood was a simply a thug who made movies.

Black Panther might be a hit for me, since I'm sort of pro-ethnonationalism.

The Into the Spiderverse animated one looked fairly interesting, btw (speaking of diversity).

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
It's mostly because I want something other than Star Wars to bond over with my brothers and nephews/nieces. Yeah, ideally I should've read the comics - though I'm pretty sure none of them have.
You really dont need. Most people didn't. Unlike Star Wars that is unable to please at sametime old fans and still address to the new audience (as you see with fird's meltdowns), Marvel kind found the formula to do it with an insane amount of references that are often pointless from the point of view of the story and making it understandable to however does not read comics (in sort, comic books sales are in a lowtime for quite awhile, the very contrary of the movies/tvs universe).

It also annoys me a bit that I have at least so far been put off by the superhero content and CGI-heavy style. I get this nagging feeling that I'm like the pre-Cahiers / Andrew Sarris critics who prefered Serious films by Stanley Kramer and George Stevens over Hitchcock and Hawks and disregarded genrefilms altogether, especially B or C films. Or those who thought Clint Eastwood was a simply a thug who made movies.
CGI heavy style sucks. I do not think you are missing the next breakthru popular language as the Hitchcock example, but the comic book crazy will stay for while until they found out how to make appealing movies based on videogames, I guess. At least, Marvel have discoved that they can make super-heroes movies inside other genres (Ant-man movie is basically a romantic comedy, one of the captain america is a spy movie, third thor is a comedy, etc.,) so not every movie is CGI heavy. And most of characters and villains end looking like some dull boss in old videogames, Thanos is probaly the only one that works better. Keep away from Aquaman, it is like when they made Matrix and every movie was heavy on the same slow cameras and all. Really, an abuse of CGI.

Black Panther might be a hit for me, since I'm sort of pro-ethnonationalism.
Black Panther is more like a 007 or Indiana Jones movie. At least they really wasted money to create the whole scenary and culture (those oscars are really deserving) instead of trusting in CGI creations George Lucas style.

The Into the Spiderverse animated one looked fairly interesting, btw (speaking of diversity).
I haven't watched yet. I was busy when it came out and when I was free, there were only dubbed options in the rooms nearby (only 4 blocks from home), so I am waiting to watch. The animations techniques seem interesting too, but yeah, those spiders versions were all born from marvel last 10 years trying to profit from the diversity thing, no other character had as much variations as Spiderman and at somepoint they even outsold the original, so the movie had a good amount of source material to explore.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
I saw it on the plane back from Tel Aviv. Good movie, apart from the ending. This forces you to go see the sequel. Understandable from a commercial perspective, but as a consumer I prefer to view a finished product.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I saw it on the plane back from Tel Aviv. Good movie, apart from the ending. This forces you to go see the sequel. Understandable from a commercial perspective, but as a consumer I prefer to view a finished product.
You came back from Tel Aviv. We get it! :thumbsup (1):

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Aren't you happy that I'm back? :confused:

It sounds like you're not thrilled to see me.

There's some passive-aggressiveness in your tone lately. Is it because I haven't finished reading that climate study yet?

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
You need to watch Captain Marvel too. Srs.
All he needs to know about Captain Marvel is that she can do what Thor and Hulk cann't do together. (Well, at this point, Hawkeye can do what Hulk cann't, so...)

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
She has no white, but yellow. Plus, he is a captain since the 40's, never got promoted, so you know who will save the day.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Aren't you happy that I'm back? :confused:

It sounds like you're not thrilled to see me.

There's some passive-aggressiveness in your tone lately. Is it because I haven't finished reading that climate study yet?
Nah mayne, you got the message the wrong way :( Come here!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts