Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He'll join us on a bosman in the summer. I don't know much about him as I've seen him only twice live.

What's he like? do you think he'll be quick and strong enough to make it in the premiership since most central midfielders there seem to be more athletes

and also can he play on the flanks?

thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
His good passing and technique help him a lot in the midfield.
Last time i saw him he was playing as central midfield just behind strikers. But mainly because the titular (lachuer) was injured. And yes he can play as winger.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Teemu Tainio is according to me a very good footballer. He works hard and is a great centre midfielder. Iv seen hi play on the rightflank some games but he should be in the middle.

Great ballwinner and great passings.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Tainio signs for Tottenham

By Neil Vaughan
Date: 27/1/2005

AUXERRE midfielder Teemu Tainio will join Tottenham Hotspur on a free transfer at the end of the season. The Finnish international has...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Tainio signs for Tottenham
By Neil Vaughan for THEspursweb.com

AUXERRE midfielder Teemu Tainio will join Tottenham Hotspur on a free transfer at the end of the season.

The Finnish international has signed a pre-contract agreement with Spurs and will link up with his White Hart Lane team-mates for pre-season in the summer.

The 25-year-old has won 25 full caps for Finland, scoring five goals. He has made over 150 appearances for Auxerre.

"We are delighted that we have been able to secure Teemu now and do not have to wait until the summer to make the signing," Sporting Director Frank Arnesen told the official Spurs site: "We know many other top clubs were keen on him.

"He is a versatile midfielder who can play anywhere across the middle."

Tainio added"I am thrilled at the prospect of playing for Tottenham and in the Premiership," he said. "It is one of the best leagues in the world. I look forward to joining everyone in July."

·
Registered
79 Posts
I only speak for myself, but this season I have thought that he has been quite average. he was good last year however, and I think he is exceptionally technically gifted. He may take a while to adapt to the english Premiership, he reminds me personally of Robert Pires

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I must agree with "aslater" on Tainio´s performances this season. Not as good as last year and the year before.

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I promise to be patient :D

thanks for the answers :thmbup: looks like we got ourselves a technical midfielder like Pedro Mendes or Carrick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
He's very good player Wally. I've seen him play regularly for Auxurre for a few years and he's always been one of their best... Very solid play however comparing him to Robert Pires is a bit pushing it aslater lol ;)

I mean after all, Robert Pires is probably one of the best players to ever play in EPL... and once he retires.. it'll be a whiel before we see another one like him :( and Tainio is more like a Central midfielder anyways who despite his great technique... isn't like a Pires wing dribbling type of player who can go past 4 players and set up someone.. but he's VERY SOlid... good at defending.. even better at attacking.... but Spurs didn't really need him.. they have too many quality players now... SEan Davis is the best one and he's injured and now when he comes back with Marney, Carrick , Brown , Tainio and Mendes... he'll find it hard to get back into the team.

·
Registered
59,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PLF said:
but Spurs didn't really need him.. they have too many quality players now... SEan Davis is the best one and he's injured and now when he comes back with Marney, Carrick , Brown , Tainio and Mendes... he'll find it hard to get back into the team.
yeah that was what I thought too since we next year will have a lot of central midfielders. But then again if we make Europe, a bigger squad might come in handy or maybe our physio just wants 2 or 3 constantly injured players to add to Sean Davis and Simon Davies following in the infamous footsteps of sicknote Anderton, Redknapp and Ziege in the past :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
No I like you aslater... jus didn't agree with you comparing Tainio to Legend Bobby Pires. As good as he is.. he's not that good... and he's less of a winger and more of a CM. :)

p.s. Nice to see a guy from Scotland supporting Bordeaux lol?? how did that come about? you have any roots there... half French? or just decided you want to support them from Scotland one day???

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am French just extradited. And I wasn't going to support a scottish team.....lets be honest. Scottish football is more depressing than Radiohead

1 - 12 of 12 Posts