1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 1st, 20:30

Austrian squad:
Tor:
Jürgen Macho (1. FC Kaiserlslautern/vier Länderspiele)
Helge Payer (Rapid Wien/7)

Abwehr:
Andreas Dober (2)
Martin Hiden (32/1 Tor)
Markus Katzer (alle Rapid Wien/6)
Ferdinand Feldhofer (Wacker Tirol/4)
Emanuel Pogatetz (FC Middlesbrough/19/1)
Paul Scharner (Wigan Athletic/12)
Joachim Standfest (Liebherr GAK/9/1)

Mittelfeld:
Rene Aufhauser (29/5)
Andreas Ivanschitz (18/2)
Markus Schopp (alle Red Bull Salzburg/56/6)
Zlatko Junuzovic (Liebherr GAK/0)
Markus Kiesenebner (Austria Magna/10/1)
Yüksel Sariyar (Superfund Pasching/2/1)

Angriff:
Muhammet Akagündüz (Rapid Wien/4/1)
Sanel Kuljic (SV Josko Ried/4)
Roland Linz (Austria Magna/13/2)

Ersatz: Andreas Schranz (5) - Martin Amerhauser (beide Liebherr GAK/12/3), Michael Mörz (SV Mattersburg/1), Thomas Pichlmann (Superfund Pasching/2)

Martin Stranzl is injured.

Manfred Zsak's first U21-selection includes Ronald Gercaliu, Mario Sonnleitner, Ramazan Özcan and Christian Fuchs, who were in Dubai with the A-Team.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
the only game i ever saw at the stadium from the national team was against spain. :D
wanted to see if they get screwed as bad as they did in valencia, but it ended in a narrow win by spain as much as i remember.
1-2 or 1-3.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
If you can't absolutely outplay and beat Canada by at least 2 goals then you suck.

That might sound harsh, but it's the godhonest truth :pp

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries, this is probably the last forum where people will get offended if anyone criticizes their NT. ;)

We know that we pretty much suck at the moment and it might well be a dull game (as usual, when we aren't outsiders and have to act instead of react).
Given the poor crop of strikers (none of them in particularly great form), I'd like to see Junuzovic getting his first cap and playing up front, even if he played midfield for GAK today.

Jürgen Macho broke his left arm against Mainz, so Schranz will be #2.

Here's my line-up:
Code:
                Payer

Standfest  Scharner  Hiden  Pogatetz

Schopp Aufhauser Kiesenebner Ivanschitz

Linz    Junuzovic
I'm not the biggest fan of Ivanschitz on the left wing myself and would prefer him as playmaker, but there is no convincing left sided midfielder in the squad, as far as I can see. I would have chosen Amerhauser.
And we see again that we have no good depth at centre back behind Stranzl and Scharner (and Ehmann). Hiden (and Ehmann) doesn't have much future at an NT that should plan for 2008. I would have rather called up Sonnleitner, it's only a test game after all.
Not too happy about Kiesenebner either. He's a good player and can be an important part for the NT, but there's no regular space for him in the current Austria Wien...

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
il_principe said:
the only game i ever saw at the stadium from the national team was against spain. :D
wanted to see if they get screwed as bad as they did in valencia, but it ended in a narrow win by spain as much as i remember.
1-2 or 1-3.
Yes, 1-3, I was there as well. I think Baur scored the goal, when he scored three or four in the campaign and all looked the same. Or was that two years later in the WC-qualifier and Stranzl scored...?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
that was it:
EM-QUALIFIKATION 2000 GRUPPE 6
SAMSTAG, 4.9.1999 17:00

ÖSTERREICH - SPANIEN 1:3 (0:1)
WIEN, 27000 Zuschauer
Schiedsrichter: PIRAUX (BELGIEN)

Tore:
0:1 HIERRO (EIGENTOR) (49')
1:1 RAUL (22')
1:2 HIERRO (56')
1:3 LUIS ENRIQUE (89')

Aufstellungen:

ÖSTERREICH
ALEXANDER MANNINGER
MICHAEL STREITER
THOMAS WINKLHOFER _
MICHAEL HATZ _
ROBERT IBERTSBERGER
DIETMAR KÜHBAUER
ROMAN MÄHLICH (60' MARKUS SCHOPP)
ROLAND KIRCHLER _ (68' MARKUS WEISSENBERGER)
HARALD CERNY
IVICA VASTIC
CHRISTIAN MAYRLEB
Teamchef: OTTO BARIC

SPANIEN
CANIZARES
SALGADO
HIERRO
PACO
SERGI
ETXEBERRIA (81' MENDIETA)
GUARDIOLA _
VALERON (72' ENGONGA _ )
LUIS ENRIQUE
MORIENTES (88' GUERRERO)
RAUL

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
How bout Canada's squad?

They have Saltieri on Tottenham and Guzman on Deportivo..so its not a very weak squad.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the Canadian squad: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2395
A rather unknown squad for us, apart from Stalteri and Radzinski, which makes them unpredictable as well. No idea why Julian De Guzman is not in the squad. His younger brother Jonathan already opted for Holland, didn't he?

Schopp has a shoulder injury from today's game and is out for the friendly as well.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Did you guys lose a bet or something? I mean why in the world would you invite Canada for a friendly? Nobody invites us!

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
might be some top-secret initative from the austrian icehockey league to scout canadian athlets.
probably your footballers are still better hockey players as the austrians we got skating on the ice in the league... :tongue:

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
MxPx said:
Here's the Canadian squad: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2395
A rather unknown squad for us, apart from Stalteri and Radzinski, which makes them unpredictable as well. No idea why Julian De Guzman is not in the squad. His younger brother Jonathan already opted for Holland, didn't he?

Schopp has a shoulder injury from today's game and is out for the friendly as well.
Theres a few guys on decent clubs...southampton, fulham, energie cottbus, Kuban, brugge..etc..

Its a respectable squad :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
IVO said:
Did you guys lose a bet or something? I mean why in the world would you invite Canada for a friendly? Nobody invites us!
The other teams don't want to play against Austria if they don't have to. ;)

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some more injured guys: Schopp, Kuljic, Katzer
The replacements are Michael Mörz, Roland Kollmann and Ronald Gercaliu.

Canada will be missing Paul Stalteri, who got injured as well and didn't make the trip to Austria.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
RedandBlack said:
Its a respectable squad :thumbsup:

*cough*cough*bullsh!t*cough*cough*

;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts