Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
definatly put Les Murray on the selectors panel.

as for the coach, i think our options are EXTREMELY limited if they are to stay here full time. they've got to be based in Europe for starters, and play their games in Europe. Arnold can stay here as a 'youth scout'.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I agree, why the feck should the coach stay here? As you said Anrold should stay on assessing the A-League players and perhaps on occasions the main man can come down. It would only make sense to continue to be based in London with all the players in the Premiership and across Europe. Plus it's more likely to be closer to the coaches family and friends.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Everyone on SBS have a great love for the game, and show great commitment in this country, but there views of the game are awful in most cases IMO.

Van Bastens decisions and stupid comments as Holland coach isnt very positive.

Houllier? Nightmare, we'd be hard to break down and he'd improve our defence, but he's not the man to take us onto the next level at all.Irrational and headworking with a crap philosphy.

Saying that i cant make a suggestion for a realistic alternative to be honest.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Big article with quotes from Lowey today in the West Australian newspaper, touting a 16m 4 year contract with Houllier! And not necessarily as coach but maybe as a technical director which i would welcome him in this role, he was a big part in French players like Henry, Anelka, Vieira etc deveolpment and installed there infrastructure.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
what is the job of the technical director? do they pick who the youth coaches will be? i remember a few years ago the selectors of a victorian representative side where these scottish wankers, if you werent massive they wouldnt select you, those type of idiots have to be fired

·
Registered
481 Posts
Fvck Yeah!

09/05/2006 02:30

World Cup Winning Coach Wants Socceroo Job

Carlos Bilardo is interested in the Australian coaching job that will be up for grabs when Guus Hiddink joins Russia after the World Cup.

The Argentine, who coached his country's triumphant 1986 team, told The Age that he had been approached last summer before Hiddink was appointed.

"Yes, I'm interested in Australia ," Bilardo said. "It's a matter of sitting down and talking about it. We'll see what happens with time. If I was offered the job, I would have accepted. Yes. Totally.

Despite the fact that he hasn't talked to anybody connected to Football Federation Australia this year, the 66 year-old is still hopeful.

"I have not had any contact with the Australians since last year. The last time I was contacted was before last year's Confederations Cup where they invited me for a chat."

"It was just all talk last year but nothing concrete," he said.

"I was contacted by someone in Australia . It wasn't the FFA. It was someone associated with the FFA. They invited me to Germany during last year's Confederations Cup for a conversation, but my commitments here in Buenos Aires didn't give me the chance to go."

"Australia is a fantastic country," Bilardo said. "I've been in Sydney , Canberra and a few other places around Australia and it is beautiful. Traditionally, Australian football has had an English style of play to it, but the crowds over there like seeing the South American skill."

I'd say we have a winner! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
stralian said:
Fvck Yeah!

09/05/2006 02:30

World Cup Winning Coach Wants Socceroo Job

Carlos Bilardo is interested in the Australian coaching job that will be up for grabs when Guus Hiddink joins Russia after the World Cup.

The Argentine, who coached his country's triumphant 1986 team, told The Age that he had been approached last summer before Hiddink was appointed.

"Yes, I'm interested in Australia ," Bilardo said. "It's a matter of sitting down and talking about it. We'll see what happens with time. If I was offered the job, I would have accepted. Yes. Totally.

Despite the fact that he hasn't talked to anybody connected to Football Federation Australia this year, the 66 year-old is still hopeful.

"I have not had any contact with the Australians since last year. The last time I was contacted was before last year's Confederations Cup where they invited me for a chat."

"It was just all talk last year but nothing concrete," he said.

"I was contacted by someone in Australia . It wasn't the FFA. It was someone associated with the FFA. They invited me to Germany during last year's Confederations Cup for a conversation, but my commitments here in Buenos Aires didn't give me the chance to go."

"Australia is a fantastic country," Bilardo said. "I've been in Sydney , Canberra and a few other places around Australia and it is beautiful. Traditionally, Australian football has had an English style of play to it, but the crowds over there like seeing the South American skill."

I'd say we have a winner! :thumbsup:
I think the issue with him is that he has been out of the game for so long.

When was the last time he coached in football?

The game has changed alot since then.

·
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
2,465 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Neeskens Shuns Australia For Barcelona Return

Johan Neeskens, currently Hiddink's number two in Australia, has reportedly spurned a chance to take over as head coach 'down under', in favour of a return to the Nou Camp as Rijkaard's assistant.

Barcelona based 'Sport' have reported that Neeskens, who played for Barcelona for five years (1974-79) during the Cruyff era, has agreed to return to the Nou Camp as a replacement for Henk Ten Cate.

Rijkaard was said to be very keen on Neeskens (popularly known as Johan II by Barcelona fans during the Cruyff era), having already spent a few years together working for the Netherlands.

Their first stint together was under Guus Hiddink, during the 1998 World Cup. The second was when Rijkaard himself took charge of the Netherlands, with Neeskens as his assistant.

The decision wasn't easy, as Australia had reportedly tabled a great offer for him to take over from Hiddink, but Rijkaard, the will to return to Barcelona, and the fact that one of his sons is also settled there, finally sealed the issue.

However, all parties seem to have agreed that a formal announcement should only be made after Australia's World Cup campaign.

Among other achievements, he also won 49 caps for the Netherlands, scoring 17 goals. He was their highest scorer in the 1974 World Cup, when they reached the finals, and also played a crucial part in the 1978 edition - following Cruyff's retirement - when they once again reached the finals.

Reports on some websites and in the Barcelona forum's is that Neeskans has decided to take over the assistant job at Barca. don't know how this could be as he just said yesterday that he wanted the Australian job. if it is the truth then it would be a big dissapointment because i was coming to like the fact of Neeskens being our coach. I'm sure some of the Hiddink factor rubbed off on him after all this time working together and that he could've kept the good working going.

shit, i guess now we'll have to settle with Houllier.

·
©
7,230 Posts
I would rather Arnold than Houllier. Well not really, but just about!

If they can get Bilardo then they should get him NOW!

I can't help but think though that anybody after Hiddink will be a let down.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts