Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Neeskans isn't going to be our couch, he'll probably remain as an assistant. there was a report on tribalfootball or something that Lowry and Co have already began looking for another Australian Coach. I would like to see Gerrard Houllier be appointed personally. Or another Dutch coach.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can the FFA possibly appoint a French coach given that the PFA will take the credit for such a move? Will be interesting...opening the doors to the French will give us access to many more options, but I'm not so sure they'll all be good for us. One thing about Hiddink, he is a relaxed, sociable and amiable figure, something that translates well to Australian culture. I imagine the FFA will be looking for something similar. Neeskens certainly fits the bill, but he lacks high end experience. As does Arnold. I don't know, maybe a tandem thing could work, if it's just a two year contract to get us to the end of the Asian Cup :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would rather a coach that was dedicated to the national team. I have no problem with Gus doing what he does for PSV but he's one of a kind.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
One coach is a much better option, 2 coaches may be good logistically, but the players wont have the same sort of connection and respect for them if one is gone at times

·
*the drum drum*
42,856 Posts
Whilst Sweden have proved it can work, there's been many cases of it flopping big-time as well, look no further then Liverpool who had a dual-coaching situation at the club and it didn't even last half a season..

·
Registered
481 Posts
I see old Guus confirmed on dutch television last night that he was taking up the Russian coaching job... about time. Hopefully now he can concentrate on Australia and the World Cup.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Socceroos to headhunt Houllier - Fox sports news

It's believed the Football Federation of Australia has already had talks with the former Liverpool boss, who is a master of "finding" young talent.

The Frenchman is expected to be an interested spectator with a notebook in hand at the Socceroos matches during the World Cup in Germany.

Houllier's first Socceroos assignment appears to be heading towards Hindmarsh Stadium when Australia meets Kuwait on August 16 the second match of the 2007 Asian Cup qualifiers.

Socceroos squad member and Adelaide United defender Mike Valkanis is hoping to be part of the new "French" legion.

"He's another big name coach," Valkanis said.

"It's great that Australia can now pull big names like that for the national team."

Houllier, 58, has emerged as France's leading Ligue 1 coach with Olympique Lyon after his two-year appointment last year.

The FFA has been busily preparing a short list of high profile coaches in preparation for the pending departure of Hiddink.

FFA chairman Frank Lowy is a strong advocate of replacing Hiddink immediately after the World Cup. Lowy's stance was in apparent contrast to FFA chief executive John O'Neill.

The former rugby boss appeared to be content with the leadership of assistant Socceroos coaches Graham Arnold and Dutchman Johan Neeskens for at least 12 months after the World Cup.

But Lowy has seemingly made it clear that the Socceroos needed a new leader for the entire Asian Cup campaign and for the 2010 South African World Cup qualifiers.

John Boultbee FFA head of high performance said the body had "put steps in place for the future."

Houllier was on the FFA's shortlist before Hiddink won the Socceroos job last year.

In 1992 he was appointed coach of France before he was sacked a year later when the French failed to make the USA 94 World Cup.

Houllier was instrumental in attracting Socceroo Harry Kewell to Liverpool in 2003 when the Frenchman was in charge at Anfield.

stralian said:
Neeskans isn't going to be our couch, he'll probably remain as an assistant. there was a report on tribalfootball or something that Lowry and Co have already began looking for another Australian Coach. I would like to see Gerrard Houllier be appointed personally. Or another Dutch coach.
Hells yeah :thumbsup: sounds good to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Darragh1987 said:
hmmm im actualy not to keen on his style...and shouldnt we invest on sombody who has a good chance at living untill 2010!
Heh! I don't know, A little bit of Australian sunshine, a friendlier national media, some prawns and bangers with the lads, it could work wonders for his health :)

Obviously the positives outweigh the negatives with Houllier. We should be lucky to get him. Hiddink has spoiled us silly!

My number one preference would be Marco Van Basten. If only the Dutch get bundled out in the first round of the WC...

I like the idea of Jean Tigana as well. Pity he's just signed a new contract with Besiktas until 2008.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Definatly need a foreigner who hasnt experienced the NSL bullsh!t.

Neeskans is someone on the rise and he should be given a trial, say the Confederations cup?

If it isnt going to be him, i say we head hunt class. Im talking a reputable name. Scolari? Eriksson? If we offer them a part time contract, with Neeskans and Arnold picking up the slack, they cant refuse!

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Jah said:
Scolari? Eriksson? If we offer them a part time contract, with Neeskans and Arnold picking up the slack, they cant refuse!
according to the world game, the ffa have announced that they will be persuing a full-time coach to be based in australia. craig foster was none too happy about this because graham arnolds name was thrown around, the only reason why he doesnt want arnold as coach is because hes mates with frank farina.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts