29 Nathalie Dechy (FRA)
30 Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
31 Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA)
32 Fabiola Zuluaga (COL)

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Hard to say for both categories, even if Venus is playing in the women's
Fore the men's, I just hope that prick Roddick doesn't win.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
no russian men are good

Men's winner : Andre Agassi

Good Chance: Hewitt

Womens winner: Kim Clisters (if she plays)

Good Chance (if kim doesnt play): Her belgium friend Henin

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Selected mens first round matches:

(1) Roddick v Gonzalez
Mathieu v Dent (27)
(12) Massu v Nieminen
Karlovic v Fish (21)
Blake v Moya (7)
(4) Agassi v Larkham
Enqvist v Spadea (29)
Acasuso v Srichaphan (13)
(9) Grosjean v Youzhny
Gaudio v Robredo (20)
Soderling v Schuettler (6)
(5) Coria v Saulnier
Rusedski v Costa (26)
(17) Verkerk v Corretja
Johansson v Phillipousis (10)
Montanes v Ferrero (3)
(8) Nalbandian v qualifier
Lisanrd v Henman (11)
(15) Hewitt v qualifier
Ascione v Mantilla (23)
qualifier v Federer (2)

they are some of the very good first round matches... obviously not the ones which just says qualifier currently :D I just added them to show the big names type of draw!!!

Thier are currently 10 Italians representing the main draw (2 men, 8 women) with 4 Italia left in the final qualifying round which happens tonight for me, today for those in australia... (2 men, 2 women)

For me:
Men's winner: Lleyton Hewitt
Women's winner: Justine Henin

Biggest surprise... Volandri (Italian) to beat Ferrero in 2nd round if both reach it... I wish :D

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Yes Safin faces vahaly, Youzhny faces Grosjean and Davydenjko faces Clement

all tough matches for them 3 Russians!!

The matches I shows was just a selection of the massive draw from the Aussie open!!!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
not a great day for Italian women, just 2 out of the 6 through, but 1 was from Santangelo (number 120 in the world) shocked number 16 seed Magui Serna of Spain

1 Italian went out to Hantuchova, but I wanted hantuchove to go through :)

Schuttler went out to Soderling, Soderling is a very good player :)

Dementieva also out to young Serbian, Jankovic who looks a star for this year!!!

Some gruesome 5 set matches also including Kuertne who beat Van Lottum 8-6 in the 5th set!!!!

Arianna, Davyenko also went through beating Clement in 5 sets, Davydenko was 2-0 down but won 3-2 in sets in the end :D

But Youzhny easily went out to Grosjean and 2 other Russians (Andreev, Tursonov) also went out

Safin still to play...

many more first round matches to play tomorrow also, including the only 2 Italian men in the competition... Volandri v Kiefer and Sanguinetti v Stepanek, I hope I get to see one :rolleyes: but doubtful

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Deano said:

Arianna, Davyenko also went through beating Clement in 5 sets, Davydenko was 2-0 down but won 3-2 in sets in the end :D

But Youzhny easily went out to Grosjean and 2 other Russians (Andreev, Tursonov) also went out

Safin still to play...

...And Safin is the player that i don't like so mucth because all girls are in love with him:yuck: ...
:depress:

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Nalbandian to win it! :thumbsup:

On the female side, I hope Henin wins it because I don't like the other favourites, not that I care much about them anyway. :tongue:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Volandri beat keifer today in 4 sets and now faces Ferrero, who beat Montanes in staright sets only losing 2 games :dazed:

Italy has 5 women left and 1 man :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
i think one of those players will win the first grand slam of 2004:

roddick, agassi, federer or hewitt

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Although I'm more of an Henin fan, I hope Kim brings it home. It will be difficult though, Juju seems to be in excellent form again while Clijsters just got back out of that Hopman-cup injury

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Santangelo beat Schett, another big win. Santangelo is number 120 or so in the world!!! Now round 3 v Danilidou (14 seed) :eek:

Volandri faces Ferrero tonight on the Rod Laver Arena... midnight british time, 11am Australian time!!! Volandri already faced Moya on a big court at the French and took Moya to 4 sets... hope Volandri can play well, even if he losses!!!

Safin won again today... he could be a danger!!!

Not many shocks today really...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Not many people seem bothered with this tournament :eek:

but anyway, Italy had not such a good night last night... they had 4 playing, only 1 went through... Farina Elia beat Ruano Pasucal in 3 tough sets in the womens draw and now faces Amy Frazier!!!

Pippo Volandri the only man left lost to Ferrero, but left his mark on the game... Ferrero got 2 different injuries and Volandri just kept pelting balls for either winners or errors!!! In the end of the toughest points Volandri got nervous and missed them but as you see from the scoreline he showed his capablities 6-4, 7-6, 7-5.

Then Maria Elena Camerin took field v Clijsters :eek: she disappointed with a 6-0 6-0 loss, great win for Kim who seems in great form.

The last Italian was Francesca Schiavone, the number 1 Italian women and 18th seed, lost to Russian Likhovsteva 6-2 6-2. Schiavone has been in good form but desperately failed on the high stage!!!

As for non-Italians:

In the mens draw, youngsters Nadal, Ancic and Reid (Autralia) all secured their 3rd round places... all look very bright indeed!

As for the faves... Nalbandian lost just 4 games in his demolition of Mayer, Federer eased through against Morisson in comfortable straight sets. Phillipousis and Hewitt both booked their places in 4 sets, both also lost their 1st set and Henman won in 4 v the flashy Stepanek.

In the womens draw... venus Williams won 6-4 6-2 v talented russian Douchevina.. Myskina also won by losing 6 games (6-2 6-4) v Gagliardi. Sharapova mad eher way through easily and young French lady, just 15 year old, Golovin beat one of the top seeds Pistolesi 6-2 6-3. Frightening :eek:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I really hope Lleyton goes deep into the tournament, it's about time he did on his own turf. Also along with Philippousis. Both are looking good at the moment, safely into the 3rd round.

I think if Clijsters' ankle holds up, she'll set up an all Belgian final.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts