Xtratime Community banner

Australian football a joke?

839 views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  South_Melbourne 
#1 ·
There is no doubt OZ has produced some very fine talent but the game in this country is really a joke. I would love to have a competition in this country comparable to that of the EPL but I cannot ever see it happening. Look at the crowd numbers (Not to mention their behaviour) and the popularity of the game as a whole. Just about every boy grows up playing football (Soccer) but are aoften lost to other sports. When we do produce a quality player, they obviously go overseas. Until there is enough money and support of the game here, it will always be a joke. :frustrat:

#3 ·
Do you think the creation of the A-League will really make any difference to the loss of our top players overseas. I can't see cahill or Kewell coming back here to play can you?

#4 ·
ravin said:
Do you think the creation of the A-League will really make any difference to the loss of our top players overseas. I can't see cahill or Kewell coming back here to play can you?
Not yet coz we cant qualify for UEFA or CL can we? But A-League will be a success and we'll pull some strings and manage to join UEFA some how.

#5 ·
yes it will make a difference, a big difference.. We will never keep our very top line players here, nor should we, ie kewell, cahill, dukes, bresciano, grella are players that should be mixing it with the best in europe... the a-league isnt intended to keep those type pof players here, its intended to keep the Vlahos's, allsops, archie thompson's, mid range players that play in the lesser euro leagues. If we can bring back thses type of players and we already are, the standard of the a-league will be super. Not cream of the crop, but enough to be a good spectacle..

Terak, we will be part of the asian CL, thats good enough for mine, i can just imagine 55k at the dome watching victory play against the japanese champions, bc thats what the public want to see, a good quality product

#6 ·
tigerTUFF said:
Terak, we will be part of the asian CL, thats good enough for mine, i can just imagine 55k at the dome watching victory play against the japanese champions, bc thats what the public want to see, a good quality product
Ah yes count me in :D

#8 ·
tigerTUFF said:
yes it will make a difference, a big difference.. We will never keep our very top line players here, nor should we, ie kewell, cahill, dukes, bresciano, grella are players that should be mixing it with the best in europe... the a-league isnt intended to keep those type pof players here, its intended to keep the Vlahos's, allsops, archie thompson's, mid range players that play in the lesser euro leagues. If we can bring back thses type of players and we already are, the standard of the a-league will be super. Not cream of the crop, but enough to be a good spectacle..

well said mate :thmbup:

#9 ·
ravin said:
When we do produce a quality player, they obviously go overseas. Until there is enough money and support of the game here, it will always be a joke. :frustrat:
Based on this argument we'll need a new thread;

"Is Brazilian Football a Joke?" :eekani: ;)

maybe one of the FM's can make it into a poll and place it in the World forum. so we can get an unbiased view... :D

#10 ·
ravin said:
It's not really that generation that they're trying to bring back. It's the generation of people my age they want to keep here. They want to keep the 15-16-17-18-19-year old players in the A-League instead of flying off to Europe at such a young age.

This current generation will, obviously, only return once they enter the twilight of their careers. Aloisi, for example, has made some noises about wanting to come back in the next three or so years.

#11 ·
My Jewish friend said to me not long ago jokingly: "Finally you realised you needed a Jew to run the show".

A good league is about good business & good management more than anything. Frank Lowy is smart. The league and the players will develop.

I just hope that the A-League will form its own style and not 'copy' say the English style. You know, the kick and rush, long ball style that is slowly dying out in the EPL anyway.

#14 ·
ravin said:
There is no doubt OZ has produced some very fine talent but the game in this country is really a joke. I would love to have a competition in this country comparable to that of the EPL but I cannot ever see it happening. Look at the crowd numbers (Not to mention their behaviour) and the popularity of the game as a whole. Just about every boy grows up playing football (Soccer) but are aoften lost to other sports. When we do produce a quality player, they obviously go overseas. Until there is enough money and support of the game here, it will always be a joke. :frustrat:
Not a joke at all my friend.

Our international side is very good. If they trained together regualry and had more matches (bring on Asain :thmbup: ) we are a top 20 side.

Of course we are going to lose players. No league in the world bar 'the big 3'; EPL, La Liga, Seria A you are going to lose your best players.

The NSL was fair. Perth Glory were a good side. The A league should be of a high standard with small lists and only the best players. Good Australian players will come back to Australia (not the best) and the better kids will stay here longer.

Really - the future is very bright.

ravin said:
Not the Cahill, Bresciano types but certinaly Australias fringe players, outside our stars in the Muscats, Archi Thompsons, Alosis etc. may well come back while the talented kids will stay longer.

khimik said:
Of course the AFL is a joke ;)
AFL is sweet. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
South_Melbourne said:
Not a joke at all my friend.

Our international side is very good. If they trained together regualry and had more matches (bring on Asain :thmbup: ) we are a top 20 side.

Of course we are going to lose players. No league in the world bar 'the big 3'; EPL, La Liga, Seria A you are going to lose your best players.

The NSL was fair. Perth Glory were a good side. The A league should be of a high standard with small lists and only the best players. Good Australian players will come back to Australia (not the best) and the better kids will stay here longer.

Really - the future is very bright.

Not the Cahill, Bresciano types but certinaly Australias fringe players, outside our stars in the Muscats, Archi Thompsons, Alosis etc. may well come back while the talented kids will stay longer.

AFL is sweet. :thumbsup:
While I conceed the Aust team was not at full strength last week, it must be said we beat a team that has not played together for two years and have been training in a basketball court AND they took the lead early on. How do you honestly think that Aust team would go against a quality country such as Italy, England, France Etc Etc...

#16 ·
ravin said:
While I conceed the Aust team was not at full strength last week, it must be said we beat a team that has not played together for two years and have been training in a basketball court AND they took the lead early on. .
Did you see the goal they scored? Weak as piss. Long ball hoff, we lucky.

Not only were we not at full strength but our manager is a spastic and our side plays together once every 6 months.

How do you honestly think that Aust team would go against a quality country such as Italy, England, France Etc Etc..
Well we beat Brazil, England & France last time we played them...

Realsiclty those nations are top 5/8 in the world. If we can get everyone up and fit we would be very competitive but you'd assume we would struggle against the top sides.

Not being able to beat Brazil and Argentina in a world cup certainly doesnt make Australian football a joke though.

#19 ·
Bosanac said:
when you put it that way. we kick arse :)
:cool:

England (ENG) 1:3 (0:2) Australia (AUS)
Friendly 2003 LONDON ENGLAND - 12.02.2003

Australia (AUS) 1:1 (1:0) France (FRA)
Friendly 2001 MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA - 11.11.2001

Australia (AUS) 1:0 (0:0) Brazil (BRA)
FIFA Confederations Cup Korea/Japan 2001 ULSAN KOREA REPUBLIC - 09.06.2001

#20 ·
ravin said:
The goal may have been soft but it would not have been scored at all if the goalie would come off his line out to the ball.
Yep.

A few things that would have stopped that goals

- If our keeper could replicate club form (Bora) for Australia
- Popovic not be a slow bastard
- Lasaridis not be a spastic and be able to play the offside trap like everyone else.

#21 ·
Bosanac said:
when you put it that way. we kick arse :)
Unfortunately in a real match we'd lose against against them ... well, maybe not England under Eriksson because they're rubbish, but a France team playing properly would comfortably beat us. Brazil are Brazil and nothing else needs to be said because they'll beat most teams. However those matches were meaningless so it's rather irrelevant.

Comparitively speaking with the Asian teams I think, at this stage, we'd slot in just behind a Japan, a Korea or an Iran and be about equal to a China or a Saudi Arabia. We need to sort out the defence first and foremost because these Asian teams are notoriously quick, and everyone knows our defence will get open by raw speed. We also need better on-field organisation and direction, something the Asian giants have a lot of.

Australia has a LONG way to go before it becomes the best team in Asia. Nobody should think we're in any way close to being the best there.

#23 ·
khimik said:
Unfortunately in a real match we'd lose against against them.
I dont think anyone is doubting that.

Comparitively speaking with the Asian teams I think, at this stage, we'd slot in just behind a Japan, a Korea or an Iran and be about equal to a China or a Saudi Arabia.
If we played say, Japan 10 times, id say we'd come out on top. ditto Korea, China... etc.

#24 ·
Terak said:
Ah new defenders required. EG Lucas Niell he's playing fairly well from what i've seen and read.
Moore and Niell are good. :)

Laza is a spastic... :(
Popovic doesnt cut the mustard :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.