Xtratime Community banner

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Bar Ochoa's performance vs Brazil, the goalkeeping has been pretty disappointing this tourney. No way should that third goal have gone in, i'm thinking it's the swerve with these new balls.

Kudos to Australia though, they played well again and deserved a draw. Can't believe they botched up that 3 vs 1 (or was it 2?) in the second half.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
This was a tough match and Australia can be very proud. We played very bad and maybe a draw was more deserved in the end when you compare the chances both sides had. We really had no clue in the first half. Shameful performance. I'm glad the 2nd half was much better, also thanks to the change of formation. I do think we should have have started with a 4-3-3 instead of relying on our 5-3-2 which only seems to work against the high defensive line of Spain instead of a very pressing Aussie side.

I don't know if I'm biased but I do fell the referee gave a lot of calls for Australia. The penalty call was weak but I understand why the referee gave it. It wasn't intentional but it did block the ball. Also the yellow card for RVP was a bit harsh. Luckily, we can probably miss him the next match vs Chile.

I'm glad Robben and RVP were clinical in their finishing with both goals and hats off for Depay. He really showed the world what he was capable of. He really had a fabulous match and was very active and made the difference with his long drive shot (which the keeper should have but I take it anyway).

But again, respect for the Aussies. They were a menace to us and Cahill's beautiful volley probably took over RVP's header as best goal of this WC.

·
Registered
69,199 Posts
Will this be like Holland in Euro 2008? Where they score loads of goals in the group but then crash out in the first knockout match. They will likely avoid Brazil at least by the looks of it

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Very enjoyable game. Shades of Argentina - BiH in the respect that both Holland and Argentina were lacklustre with a 5-3-2 and in the second half upped their game with a back 4.
Very true :thumbsup:

5-3-2 worked well for the Dutch in the first game though.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Bar Ochoa's performance vs Brazil, the goalkeeping has been pretty disappointing this tourney. No way should that third goal have gone in, i'm thinking it's the swerve with these new balls.
That shot was very difficult to block.

He couldn't guess how high the ball is going to bounce back, he had the ball in his reach but had his hands higher, the ball bounced lower than he expected.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Will this be like Holland in Euro 2008? Where they score loads of goals in the group but then crash out in the first knockout match. They will likely avoid Brazil at least by the looks of it
Hmm maybe that will be the case. I'm glad though we we're taken back on earth today. Defense will be our weakness. We must outscore our opponents. If our strikers don't have a good day (like vs Russia 2008) we are beatable.

·
Administrator
30,460 Posts
The Dutch are becoming scarier with each match. The buggers don't go down easily.
They became scarier by being outplayed by Australia? If anything, their defense is too open and Aussies explored it too well. They depend on the middlefield battle to set up counterattacks.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
They became scarier by being outplayed by Australia? If anything, their defense is too open and Aussies explored it too well. They depend on the middlefield battle to set up counterattacks.
yep, despite of the end result this was visible vs Spain too...the main reason why I don't really expect them to challenge for the title here.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Australia was not half bad tonight and the Dutch simply rolled into the next gear and moved on. So yes, they are scary.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Australia was not half bad tonight and the Dutch simply rolled into the next gear and moved on. So yes, they are scary.
False, they made some changes in half time but they were no different until the last 20 minutes or so, by then Australia looked like they lost interest.

Just before RVP's equalizer, it could have gotten 3-1 for Australia.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Australia needs to find a striker. We can't rely on Timmy beyond the Asian Cup and even then he'll be capable of 60-70 mins per game. I have faith in Rogic's development bar injuries. He'd have been great to have off the bench these 2 games

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
that was NEVER a penalty, how on earth was that intentional handball?!

121 - 140 of 146 Posts