• Nay

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off could a mod make a poll please :)

After watching the opening ceremony of the commonwealth games and seeing how disinterested the queen and her husband were, also the fact in her speech she mentioned that we should be proud of what we have achieved also the fact that John Howard said on some program that he can see Australia becoming a republic after the queen passes. Even though he's a monarchist. He says, Australian people like the queen to much so it will probably happen when she gone....

Well what ya think?

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
I say no.

But it's not my country, but there's the same argument here every now and again raised by people who hate their own past.

There are some serious advantages to the British model, so if Australia does go that way, it will forfeit them.

Cheersch

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would probably say yes, although I don't know how it would affect things structurally, constitutionally etc. I don't think it's really that big of an issue as their influence is already negligible. Certainly when Charles becomes king it would amaze me if anyone in britain let alone anywhere else wanted them.

Although on the flipside I heard something about New Zealanders changing their flag, which I don't agree with.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Nuick said:
Although on the flipside I heard something about New Zealanders changing their flag, which I don't agree with.
You mean they're gonna do something about those communist stars on that funny flag of theirs? ;)

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
If you're going to replace a figurehead Queen with a figurehead President, then there really is no point. You're already a sort of de facto republic - I mean does the Queen actually ever do anything? No. Your PM and parliament hold all of the power de facto, and they are elected and are not royalty. Hence...

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
The Republic of Australia has a funny ring to it. The Australian Republic sounds much better.
The official name is "The Commonwealth of Australia" and "commonwealth" does not imply republic or monarchy, so I don't see why they'd change their name...

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I have sworn allegiences to the Queen. It felt strange seeing she lives in England. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts