Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the forums Frank!

Question for you since you're from Newark. By any chance you don't happen to be the same Frank Cunha that made the Boys Club LISA jr champs say in 88? Cause if you are, then this will be a long waited reunion with one of your former players. ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Was that the one year that Kearny Portuguese didn't field a team? We had a dynasty going there for a little while.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. That was the year the Boys Club took LISA by storm and went undefeated. Kearny Portuguese I believe had a team, although not as potent as what it was in the past. Our direct competitors that year was Benfica, and the team from Long Branch.

Didn't you play for us the following year? Wasn't that the year that you didn't have a team??

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Red England and England 66
You guys were great i hope you could tell me your names , you guys played hard in 1988. All your guys were in all a bunch of gentlemen, thank you for been a part of something beautiful.
I also remember when I use to be part of the Sport Club Portugues, we beat in the final of the state Cup Kearny Thistle with Harkes, Meola and Tab Ramos in the lineup, we came from behind in the second half, when we were down 2-1 at half time.
In 1991 with LISA Under 23 we won the state championship and we defeated Union Lancers with Claudio Reyna.
Our players never got the chance they deserve, they could went far.
Thank you guys.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frank Cunha said:
Red England and England 66
You guys were great i hope you could tell me your names , you guys played hard in 1988. All your guys were in all a bunch of gentlemen, thank you for been a part of something beautiful.
I also remember when I use to be part of the Sport Club Portugues, we beat in the final of the state Cup Kearny Thistle with Harkes, Meola and Tab Ramos in the lineup, we came from behind in the second half, when we were down 2-1 at half time.
In 1991 with LISA Under 23 we won the state championship and we defeated Union Lancers with Claudio Reyna.
Our players never got the chance they deserve, they could went far.
Thank you guys.
Well the Boys Club was a big part of my "futebol career" and you were Da Man who started it all with Al if I recall correctly. Thank you for that. :)

I played for the Boys Club Juniors for two years before moving on to Beira-Mar for a year. After that I couldn't play anymore because of college ball. I do however remember coaching your two sons one of those years indoor. They must have been 7 or 8 years old.

How are they treating you now "old man'? :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My twins had there 23 birthday on Saturday and Frank my oldest is 26 and married. I don't know if you remember AL Visco he use to run the Boys Club, I just hear he died in the last couple days, he had moved to Pittsburgh.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. That's the Al I mentioned in my previous post. RIP
He was always chewing/smoking a cigar...

So you'rr boys are 23. Wow time does fly. Didn't your oldest play goalie during those times indoor?

Btw, think about the players on that team? Who were your hardest and yet craziest players??? The one's drinking underaged and eating all the food.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Frank III, you were correct played goalie indoors and for Queen Peace he played central defender. I still remember some of the names of the 1988 like Fernando Santos, Fernando Ribeiro, Lionel, Julio Rodrigues, Vitor, Duarte, Gabriel, Ricardo, Julio, Nuno Verde. I hope I'am not miss your name. Are you on these list.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WELCOME METRORTURTLE (FRANK III)!

So you were the goalie?

btw I hope I didn't give you're dad a coronary thinking about 88? ;) Those were some good games though.

And Frank Sr., my name is on that list. I was the right full back. ;)

England 66 didn't play with those guys that year. He came the year after as a Kearny Refugee.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You in that list you were good.
I will get the RD. Just give me the first letter. F, L or V.
Vitor Duarte played midfield. Lionel played in the center.. It got to be Fernando Ribeiro. Nuno Verde was a forward.. Gabriel a midfielder, Julio Rodrigues played center. Pires played on the left.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Bingo!

Gangly, crooked teeth, goofy smile, slow as mollasses, akward footing, crooked shot and a hack? That be he, Frank. You got it right on the nose!;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, SO THOSE (GOALIE) DAYS WEREN'T MY BEST!

I DID MAKE NJ ALL-STATE HONORABLE MENTION MY SOFTMORE YEAR AND 2ND TEAM ALL-STATE MY JUNIOR AND SENIOR YEAR.

I WAS A TOUGH DEFENDER.
I LOVE PLAYING SWEEPER.

I WAS JUST AT THE METROSTARS GAME, THEY TIED.
I REMEMBERED BEING A LITTLE GOALIE (ABOUT 10 OR 12)
IN A BIG STADIUM. EVERYONE HATED ME BECAUSE I SUCKED.

OH WELL...IT'S JUST A GAME...IF YOU WIN ;):rolleyes:

:cool:
FRANK III
"METROTURTLE"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts