Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am opening this thread because I will be staying in Brazil for some weeks and would love to go to watch some games, but also in the hope that it might be useful to other people in the future. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

In my case, I will be in Rio between July the 7th and the 31st at least, and then will be in Manaus for a couple of weeks. If I run out of money for the plane ticket to Manaus, I might just stay in Rio the whole time, but I hope that's not the case. I always have trouble following the structure of Brazilian first division football, but I've heard that the final of the Copa do Brazil will be held in Rio during my stay. Can anyone confirm that? Is Maracaná open or is being arranged for the World Cup? In general, is there a good webpage with fixtures, information about venues, tickets, etc. (doesn't need to be in English, if it's in Portuguese it would work for me too)? What is the normal way to buy tickets? What other tournaments are being played in those weeks (State championships, Brasileirao, etc.)?

Advice about these and other things that you think might be useful would be extremely helpful. I could also use info about which teams, stadiums and games you think it would be especially interesting to see.

Thanks a lot!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
In my case, I will be in Rio between July the 7th and the 31st at least, and then will be in Manaus for a couple of weeks. If I run out of money for the plane ticket to Manaus, I might just stay in Rio the whole time, but I hope that's not the case. I always have trouble following the structure of Brazilian first division football, but I've heard that the final of the Copa do Brazil will be held in Rio during my stay. Can anyone confirm that? Is Maracaná open or is being arranged for the World Cup? In general, is there a good webpage with fixtures, information about venues, tickets, etc. (doesn't need to be in English, if it's in Portuguese it would work for me too)? What is the normal way to buy tickets? What other tournaments are being played in those weeks (State championships, Brasileirao, etc.)?

Advice about these and other things that you think might be useful would be extremely helpful. I could also use info about which teams, stadiums and games you think it would be especially interesting to see.

Thanks a lot!
Sadly the Brasilian Cup final doesn't involve any Rio teams so we'll be watching it on TV. The finalists are Palmeiras (from Sao Paulo) and Coritiba (from Parana); the first leg is on july 5th in SP, and the return leg is on the 11th, in Coritiba's Couto Pereira stadium.

The Maracana is still closed for renovations. But on the period of your visit there will be some good games. These should be the best ones:

On sunday July 8th there will be a carioca derby between Flamengo and Fluminense, the famous Fla x Flu, on the Engenhao stadium. Vagner Love! Deco! Leonardo Moura! Diego Cavalieri! Fred! And a whole lotta misguided people on the stands.

On the following weekend there's another carioca derby on the 15th, this one between Botafogo and Fluminense, also in the Engenhao. This is the "Grandpa" derby, between the two oldest RJ clubs, and it's usually a very cool event with lots of families and pretty girls on both sides (Bota and Flu's local rivalry is generally not very hostile at all).

Wednesday 18th Flamengo will play Corinthians in the Engenhao, a clash between the two clubs with the biggest number of fans in Brasil, in what may be a very intense game.

Thursday 19th Fluminense will play Bahia (managed by "king of Rome" Paulo Roberto Falcão); both teams are very offensive and your chances of getting a fun show are good. Also in the Engenhao (without the Maracana, the only RJ team that doesn't play in the Engenhao is Vasco).

Saturday 21st there's a Vasco x Santos in São Januario, with Santos possibly featuring Neymar and Ganso, plus Juninho Pernambucano and Dede on Vasco's side. You may want to try this one.

Sunday 22nd there's a Botafogo vs Gremio. In which obviously Botafogo must win, though Gremio may have some extremist opinions about that. Seedorf will probably be watching from the stands, but I doubt he'll be ready to play.

On the 25th, a wednesday night, there will be a Vasco x Botafogo in the Engenhao (and I'd like to handshake the commercial genius that scheduled a derby for 20:30PM on a weekday, that's the stuff of legends). :googly:

And on sunday 29th there will be a Fluminense x Atletico-MG, in which Ronaldinho Gaucho may be involved.

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garrincha, thank you. That's great stuff and some of the games sound incredible. Fla-Flu to start it all sounds almost too good to be true. What do you mean "miguided people"?

What about tickets though? For most these games would it be wise to go to the stadium on matchdays and buy tickets there in the stadium? Is there some sort of teleticket system? And how expensive are tickets likely to be?

Sorry to ask so many questions!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
What do you mean "miguided people"?
They support Flamengo and Fluminense, ffs! The most charitable thing I can say about 'em is that they're misguided, their ruined lives littered with bad choices.

What about tickets though? For most these games would it be wise to go to the stadium on matchdays and buy tickets there in the stadium? Is there some sort of teleticket system? And how expensive are tickets likely to be?

Sorry to ask so many questions!
I'm pretty sure you can get tickets online here (I realize it's in Portuguese, but that's the dealer I know):
http://www.ingressofacil.com.br

The prices are a bit different from game to game; matches against smaller teams are sometimes priced down to attract more fans. These days the prices range from R$30 to R$60, depending on the sector of the stadium. If you don't want to buy online, you can usually get tickets during the week on several locations across town (each club has their own network of sellers; Flamengo frequently sells tickets for their games on the official jersey stores they have scattered around town, for example) or at the stadium. But I don't advise showing up on matchday without tickets, especially on derbies. The best way to get to the Engenhao is the subway.

And don't bother buying your tickets too far ahead, almost all Brasileiro games are shown on TV so the chances of one of these matches selling out early are pretty slim (of course there's usually more interest in the derbies). Getting your tickets on the week of the game should be fine.

I hope that helped!

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They support Flamengo and Fluminense, ffs! The most charitable thing I can say about 'em is that they're misguided, their ruined lives littered with bad choices.

I'm pretty sure you can get tickets online here (I realize it's in Portuguese, but that's the dealer I know):
http://www.ingressofacil.com.br

The prices are a bit different from game to game; matches against smaller teams are sometimes priced down to attract more fans. These days the prices range from R$30 to R$60, depending on the sector of the stadium. If you don't want to buy online, you can usually get tickets during the week on several locations across town (each club has their own network of sellers; Flamengo frequently sells tickets for their games on the official jersey stores they have scattered around town, for example) or at the stadium. But I don't advise showing up on matchday without tickets, especially on derbies. The best way to get to the Engenhao is the subway.

And don't bother buying your tickets too far ahead, almost all Brasileiro games are shown on TV so the chances of one of these matches selling out early are pretty slim (of course there's usually more interest in the derbies). Getting your tickets on the week of the game should be fine.

I hope that helped!
It definitely helps. Thanks a lot. I've also sent you a PM.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
It is the 100th year of Fla-Flu no?
I do believe you're right, this year is the Fla x Flu's 100th anniversary, and more: the first Fla x Flu ever was in July 7th 1912, so the July 8th game is almost the right date to be a century. Why not schedule the game for saturday 7th, so it would be exactly 100 years after the first? Shouldn't that be an obvious marketing move? Who knows. But it's still a pretty cool milestone.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
It is. There was a nice feature on the great Junior - he attended as a nine year old on his father's shoulders at one of the 1963 games between the teams. The crowd was 177,000!

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fla-Flu sounds great, I'll try to be one of the misguided people there.

Where could I see the fixtures? I might end up staying in Rio until around the sixth of August. Also, they don't seem to have tickets for Fla-Flu on the link Garrincha gave me. Any advice on how to get tickets for that would be appreciated, as would any info on what kind of tickets I should be trying to get.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Where could I see the fixtures?
This is where I usually go.
Also, they don't seem to have tickets for Fla-Flu on the link Garrincha gave me.
Sorry, I don't usually buy football tickets online and gave you the one I use for movie tickets (I live near Botafogo so that's where I usually get mine). :D This is the site you want, but the tickets will only go on sale wednesday. Or you can go to one of the many places that sell the tickets. Here's the list of places across RJ that will be selling tickets for the Fla x Flu:

Nacao Cruzmaltina - Rua São Joao, 34 – Niteroi
Casa Vila da Feira – Tijuca
Sao Januario – Ticket booth 11 (for Fluminense fans)
Sao Januario – Ticket booth 9 (for Flamengo fans)
Ale Pasmado Gas Station – Góis Monteiro, 195
Fluminense (the club) – Alvaro Chaves, 41 (for Fluminense fans)
Carioca FC Shop – Carioca Shopping, Av. Vicente de Carvalho, 909
Carioca FC Shop – Meier Shopping, Rua dias da Cruz, 255
Flamengo – Praca Nossa Senhora Auxiliadora, n/n (Flamengo fans)
Flamengo (the club) – Av. Borges de Medeiros, 997 – (Flamengo fans)
South Ticket Booth at the Engenhao – Flamengo fans
West Ticket Booth at the Engenhao – Fluminense fans

Any advice on how to get tickets for that would be appreciated, as would any info on what kind of tickets I should be trying to get.
I usually watch from the upper stands, but it's a matter of preference, some people prefer being closer to the pitch. These are the prices for the Fla x Flu:

Upper West Side (Fluminense) – R$ 60
Lower West Side (Fluminense) – R$ 40
North Side (Fluminense) – R$ 30
Upper East Side (Flamengo) – R$ 60
Lower East Side (Flamengo) – R$ 40
South Side (Flamengo) – R$ 30

The north and south sides are behind the goals.

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great stuff, thank you. I did arrive to that webpage from the Flu page and saw that they're not being sold yet. I hope the internet tickets work tomorrow, it would be much easier for me than having to look for these stores after having just arrived to Rio (and not knowing where the hell I'm going to stay as we speak). Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to Flu-Fla yesterday! It was pretty fun, although I was with the Flamengo crowd and they were quite pissed off, while the Fluminense people were having a party on the other side. Still a very good experience. The stadium (Engenhao) is nice. It was raining but the stands are covered. It took a while to get back to Botafogo (where i'm staying for some days) but the public transport system works great.

Thanks for the useful info. I will definitely go to other games in the next weeks!

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to Fluminense-Botafogo this sunday, which was also my birthday. Also a very cool ambiance, again in the Engenhao, and a nice enough game, especially in the second half. I would definitely recommend to anyone staying in Rio for a while to go watch football. I went with a dutch dude from my hostel.

By the way, is it normal to have the biggest "torcidas" in the East and West instead of behind the goals? Or is it just because the Engenhao doesn't have big stands behind the goals?

·
Super Moderator
13,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to Flamengo-Corinthians yesterday. Fla got their asses kicked. The ambiance was not as good as in the previous two derbies (understandable for a weekday with cold-ish weather), but football was pretty good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts