Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the WC atmosphere in Japan and especially Korea???????

None of the games I saw so far had any real WC feel to them. Where are the neutrals? The noise? The whistles etc????

Maybe staging the WC in Asia was a mistake (regarding crowds), bring it back where it belongs, Europe and South America !

I remember we played Japan in the last WC, and our fans couldn't beleive how quiet hey were, they would only quietly applause any good move, ours or theirs.

Shameful that the WC is played infront of a tennis audience.

·
©
7,230 Posts
The Irish supporters were good!!:) But yeah this world cup will probably be the worst as far as atmosphere goes.

Does anybody know how many Cro fans will be there?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Did you guys notice a lot of empty seats?
I couldn't believe it!
If it was played either in Europe or South America I assure you there wouldn't be any empty seats...

On top of everything,it's very expensive to travel to Japan/Korea and enjoy the great world cup!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
You know, Ero, this is a good thread. I noticed that from the begining. So far, the games don't have that World Cup "feel" to them. It seems that the few fans that showed up from the other countries are singing and chanting along, but the rest are very quiet. It feels like the 94 Cup because the fans just don't have the feel of the game as they do in Europe or South America. I know in Korea they were having trouble selling tickets and you still had some available one week before the Cup started. Another thing is that while most of the stadiums are very nice and have a "European" look to them, I just hate the track around some of them. The fans are so far away that it seems like the players are there alone...Ireland-Cameroon comes to mind.

Oh, and I was there in 98 and was there for the Croatia-Japan game and the fans were very polite. I mean, these guys brought their own garbage bags to the game and cleaned up after themselves.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there's about a dozen Croatians so far, I expect littlemore than 500 in all. It's too expensive for me in NZ, let alone your average Croatian fan.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
3 of my buddies went....one backed out at the last minute. I think he bought a package, where he ended up getting tickets to all the Croatia games as far as they go in the Cup, airfare, hotels and tickets and the price was something to the effect of $7,000 US...and that doesn't include lunch and dinner and other expenses. it's way to much money.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It's hard to get a real feel for atmosphere watching on TV. I saw Brazil play Russia and Cameroon in '94. San Francisco. The Atmosphere was phenominal. After the game's the party in the streets went well into the night. Singing and dancing all over town.

When I watched the rest of WC'94 on tv at home it looked like nobody was into it.

I thought the Ireland Cameroon game had pretty good atmosphere. The Irish always seem to have a great support.

Their are two brother's that play for Croatia SC Vancouver in Japan. They both bleached their hair for the WC. They can't be hard to miss, both over 6' tall...let me know if anyone of you can spot the two 'book-ends' in the crowd tomorrow...:howler:

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
folks, you saw it right here, SA-PAR infront of an almost empty stadium !!!! This is the WC, shame on Korea and Korean football fans.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
easy ero... I have been impressed so far... they said month ago that 10% of tickets have not been sold yet... average stadiums there are around 50,000... thats a lot of SOLD seats... even month ago... I wonder how many people would come to watch same game if it was in Varazdin, etc... they have been pretty impressive so far

·
©
7,230 Posts
to be fair, there has been problems with the ticketing system and alot of people didn't even get their tickets!!:eek:

On the TV, they were saying that yesterday's games were all supposed to be sell outs but because of the problems with tickets not everybody managed to get in.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
spwolf,

sure, but then Croatia isn't bidding for the WC, and everyone from Europe would come to Croatia, every game would be sold out. Anywhere in Europe. Korea's stadiums are big, but they're in cities of over 1 million people, surely you can find 40,000 to fill the neutral seats. It's shameful. Better atmosphere today, but empty seats at a WC is inescusable, they should have slashed the prices, they have nothing to lose.

I saw the Croatian flags. I think some Koreand were confused between the paraguayan and our flag. :)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I have to completly disagree with you here... based on your opinion, soccer world cup should be played only in Europe and South America... that way soccer popularity would never grow...

... France '98 had average attendance of 43,000... I doubt this World Cup will have less, even though it is in Asia and not in Europe

basically, Japan sold all of its tickets for WC2002 (for games in Japan) and Korea had 15% left unsold in April (new figures are not avail yet)... mostly for S. Africa, Paraguay and Slovenia games (weakest group)

So when you say how its disgraceful, etc, etc, you are talking a lot of bull without cover...you saw one game that didnt get full stadion, and immediatly ***** as if someone said something about your mother...chill, and have fun... they will probably outsell France '98 in tickets, which is impressive

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
btw, saw croatian flags too... but I think they were out guys, since they had hats and other things as well... Paraguay flag looks different than ours... that was smooth tho

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree that the atmosphere has been tame to say the least! I'm watching Swe. - Eng. right now, and it is very quiet for an Eng. match. I was expecting this from the beginning anyway, because the Asian people aren't exactly the most excitable people in the world. For me it doesn't matter anyway, once the Vatreni step on to the pitch this evening all hell is going to break loose at Skorpio's! Ja te volim, Ja te volim, Ja te volim Hrvatskooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spwolf said:
I have to completly disagree with you here... based on your opinion, soccer world cup should be played only in Europe and South America... that way soccer popularity would never grow...

... France '98 had average attendance of 43,000... I doubt this World Cup will have less, even though it is in Asia and not in Europe

basically, Japan sold all of its tickets for WC2002 (for games in Japan) and Korea had 15% left unsold in April (new figures are not avail yet)... mostly for S. Africa, Paraguay and Slovenia games (weakest group)

So when you say how its disgraceful, etc, etc, you are talking a lot of bull without cover...you saw one game that didnt get full stadion, and immediatly ***** as if someone said something about your mother...chill, and have fun... they will probably outsell France '98 in tickets, which is impressive
you can 150,000 people crammed in, if they make no noise and only applaud occasionaly, the atmosphere is shyte. That's a fact.

The SA game was half empty, if not more.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I agree ... bring back the cup where it really belongs, we don't have baseball world cups in Europe either now do we ?!?!

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Il Genio....Didn't they have one in Italy a few years back???;)

I agree...and watching that South Africa and Paraguay played to a half empty stadium was horrible. Sure they are not powerhouse teams but then again, how many times does a World Cup come to a country???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts