Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Atlantis is living up to it's name in the VeikkausLiiga as the club is facing bankrupcy and has lost all it's main sponsors. If Atlantis goes bankrupt. FC Jokerit will be the team to replace Atlantis if they go bankrupt. However FC Jokerit owner Harry Harkimo doesn't necessarily want the team to get back into the top league in such fashion. You may remember that FC Jokerit were relegated after last season. It looks like bad times are facing nordic clubs after we saw FC Lyngby go bankrupt just a while back.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is really a problem that shouldn't be underestimated, because many more Danish clubs, f.ex Ab and AGF, are on the edge of bankruptcy, because of bad management. Something has to be done, I don't know what in the world there is to be done, except managing the money more professional, or doing like FCK and get something outside of the football to back up the buisness.....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly I agree 100% with you DBOY. The problem is a serious one facing all Scandinavian clubs. We have already seen one club go bankrupt (Lyngby) and it looks like there will be more. Atlantis was poorely managed and even though the head sponsor of Atlantis, Finnforest (timber firm) offered to help them, the owner rejected the offer and therefore lost them and other firms as sponsors to the club.

DBOY, What does FCK do? You said they invest outside of football?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well, the club is runned and owned by a firm called PS&E, Parken Sport and Entertainment. The director of that company is called Flemming Østergaard, and they've an amazing ability to get big sponsors. And PS&E also own different facility's in Denmark, f.ex the 'Cirkus Building', a place where they perform f.ex theatres and different big media stuff. Also, as recently as today they bought the rest of Parken, Denmark's national arena and their home ground, for around 28 mill. £, which is quite a bunch of cash. And because they own Parken, they get the cash when f.ex the Euro Grandprix or concerts are done there.

It's actually quite impressive. This year they came out with a plus of 70 mill. dk, which is about 6.5 mill. £, and that's after expenses! And they still own a player like Zuma, who's worth around 7 mill. £......so I believe this is where other Scandi clubs have to look, Danish as Finnish, as Norwegian and Swedish :).

·
Registered
207 Posts
So they are a bit like Jokerit and Hjallis Harkimo here in Finland. Jokerit has also an ice hockey team and Harkimo is currently working on some kind of ice hall plans in Germany. He also owns part of AIK Stockholm's ice hockey team and we can thank Harkimo for our home field, Finnair Stadium. During recent years Jokerit has been trying to get success with football but they haven't succeeded in it. They have just lost quite a lot of money and, as Lionheart mentioned, they were relegated from Veikkausliiga after last season. I really hope that Harkimo could make same thing to football as he did to ice hockey here in Finland and we would get a real football-boom and some more professional-approach to our football.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah Harkimo is a very good business man as everyone already knows in Finland and Sweden and if he really puts his money into football then he can make the Finnish league become the best league in Northern Europe like he did to our ice-hockey league.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Atlantis players held a press conference this week where they told about their situation. They haven't got all of their salaries and some of the players must leave their apartments because the club hasn't been able to pay their rents. It looks like Atlantis' only hope is that their ex-sponsor FinnForest will come and save the club.

As an addition to this police is also suspecting Atlantis of an insurance fraud.

This is really sad.. I wonder why Markku Ritala didn't sell the club to FinnForest when they still were willing to buy it. He must have known what would happen. Atlantis is a bit like Ritala's lifework so he probably was just too proud to do that, and rather wanted to see the whole club come to an end than let FinnForest take it over.

Veikkausliiga has announced that if Atlantis goes down, the league will be played with only 11 teams.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Atlantis' Veikkausliiga licence was denied today. However their main sponsor and half owner Finnforest is likely to take over the team (with debts) and thus Atlantis would continue in the Veikkausliiga. Probably under a new name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts