·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Athletic´s coach for next season

Knoert said:
Already rumours who'll replace him?
Forgot to answer this, of course there are:

JL Mendilibar: Eibar´s coach, Lamikiz already talked with him before offering the contract renewal to Valverde, on theory to offer him a place in Lezama, now the offer may be a bit different. He trained Bilbao Athletic some years ago, where he was known for being too defensive. But when he left to Lanzarote (and then Eibar) demonstrated he likes good football. Would be the most similar option to what Valverde was 2 years ago, again, a 'home' man without experience in Primera, with the good and bad side that has.

Victor Fernández: Close friend of one of Lamikiz´s important men, he was close to be Lamikiz´s coach in the elections 4 years ago but he had contract with Celta. Wouldn´t like it, it would be a friendship election. Good football without results (except the cup winners cup with Zaragoza) his teams last 6 months of the 9 the competition has. He opened his mouth about Gurpegi´s case without sense when he was Betis coach,:mad: then corrected it but...

Muslin: Forgot his name. He was Lamikiz´s coach in the elections 4 years ago, don´t know where´s him now, back then he had been more than a year without loosing a game with Red Star Belgrade. I know he´s worked as spy in Europe (for us in UEFA Cup) since Lamikiz became president but it would be a bad idea, people in Bilbao have nightmares with everything that sounds serb thanks to Dragoslav Stepanovic.:scared:

Michael Laudrup: Certain board members love the idea... I would hate it, as much as I loved him as player I have no idea what he has done to train Athletic. Doesn´t know our players, has no idea on how our youth system works and hasn´t coached in the league.

Ronald Koeman: Would be really surprised, he´s a very good friend of Zubizarreta (tried to bring him 2 years ago but he had contract with Ajax) and we all know how´s the relationship between Zubi & Lamikiz. Even if Zubi tries to make it possible for the good of Athletic... I´m sure he would want a lot of money, I prefer home coaches.

Javier Aguirre: Won´t continue in Osasuna, he´s already said he would love to train Athletic. But in Iruñea they say he doesn´t trust in the young players.. and in a team as Athletic that would be suicide.

and the regular suspects...

Mané: Hasn´t coaches in a while, he´s had offers but refused them. Home coach and good, I´d like it. If only Valverde would have seen that UEFA Cup final to learn how to change your tactics during a game...

MA Lotina: His work with Numancia, Osasuna, Celta and Espanyol is there, but he has contract with Espanyol for next season, nothing is impossible though.

Jabo Irureta: He deserves a second chance after his unfair sacking. But I think Jabo will take a free year before coaching again.

JA Goikoetxea: Has been a while without coaching, great player but never impressed me as coach, I wouldn´t like it.

Javi Clemente: This would create a crisis, in Bilbao people love him or hate him. It would divide the fans, a bad option. I would like to see him in Athletic but not as coach, maybe in Lezama.

Murua: In this case I think Bilbao Athletic´s coach can´t even be an option, I completely dislike him. Last year we almost relegate thanks to him and although we´re doing better this season I think we have team to be higher in the table.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, what does Fish think about Moyes being Howard the second.;) I wouldn´t mind..:D

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was shocked to see some of those names... In my humble opinion 2 would be the best options, both basque : Mane and Mendilibar. Mane is a favourite of mine since many years ago. He did a great job in Lleida and , of course in Alaves. He´s got the knowledge, experience and knows Athletic. Mendilibar could be a new gamble, but he could be the most similar coach to Valverde. He´s having a brilliant season in Eibar and everybody talk marvels about him and his team.
The rest... Victor Fernandez is one of the most overrated coaches in Spain, he did a good job some years, but IMO in Zaragoza he had his high and lows and in Vigo, well I´ve always thought that that he found a team "already done" by Irureta. Afterwards he´s been sacked from Betis and Oporto and I think that he would crash with some of Athletic´s especial things, as Koeman. I don´t see nor Clemente and Irureta in Athletic´s bench again and I don´t really know what could Laudrup and Muslin offer as coaches.
BTW, what does Fish think about Moyes being Howard the second. I wouldn´t mind..
I´m looking forward for the answer :nono:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iparralde I completely agree with you. If Lamikiz doesn´t lie when saying "Valverde was the perfect coach for this team" he should go for Mendilibar since he´s the most similar person. Appart, he has already coached players as Iraola, Gurpegi, Arriaga, Jonan or Bordas in Baskonia, actually his signing could be a new opportunity for Arriaga who ended as top scorer with Mendilibar as coach, playing in his natural position, forward. His teams play good football and he knows our young players.

Mané is another great option, only bad thing is he´s been some time without coaching, rejecting offers, waiting for a good one, Athletic´s one.;) He´s Athletizale so there wouldn´t be any problem, with the addition that unlike Mendilibar he has enough experience in Primera, and in UEFA Cup.;)

But Lamikiz is very populist and I fear he wants to bring a "big name" to Bilbao. That´s why I knew this Laudrup thing and told you even before it appeared in the media;) (today in Marca). He´s a big name without much experience, therefore not too expensive, I´m afraid of this.
http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,602775,00.html According to Marca there were already some contacts with him last month, when Athletic was spying Austria Wien in Marbella, if that´s true....Valverde was the only option?:rolleyes:

I didn´t mention Deschamps because I haven´t heard any rumour yet but I suppose they´ll come, a good basque coach, this time we can sign him, unlike 2 years ago when he didn´t have the 3 years experience needed to coach in Primera, then he ended finalist of CL...:rolleyes:

I hope this is solved as soon as possible to end with the rumours, and well solved please Lamikiz...

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Please bring in anyone but Koeman, he's such a poor coach, he proved that at Vitesse and Ajax, he's only looking for new players from outside the club, and every player he bought failed... that's one of the reasons he's sacked, plus he can't make young players better (look to v.d. Vaart and Sneijder at Ajax for example).

Mendilibar looks a good choice to me, he proved at Eibar he can work good without needing 'big expensive' players but I don't really know him that good... also Mané and Aguirre look good to me.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need more time to think about it.:stress:

BTW, today they´ve said on ETB that Athletic´s coach will be basque.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the ones who don´t know Mendilibar here are his numbers since he left Athletic´s youth system.

Code:
Temporada 2001-2002
                   G     E    P          GF       GC    P
Aurrerá           12     18     8          38       33     8º

Temporada 2002-2003
                   G       E    P         GF      GC       P
Lanzarote        17     13    8          64       44       3º
    Play-off      0        1     5          2       15       4º

Temporada 2003-2004
                   G       E    P         GF    GC       P
Lanzarote        19       10     9         59      28       1º
    Play-off       1        2     3          7      10       4º

Temporada 2004-2005
                     G       E      P         GF      GC       P
Eibar                14        6     6          36      25       3º
Some points to mention;

-Aurrera relegated after he left.
-Lanzarote had never made the playoffs before he arrived.
-Lanzarote are 12th now.
-Eibar.... well, we all know Eibar.
-His teams are well organized defensively. (something we need)
-Bad numbers in the playoffs with Lanzarote, something really strange.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Difficult, innit?

I won't comment on non-Basque, because I think there are very good ones at home, who may know the players and everything much better. I'd only ask that if it is one of these, let it be one with some experience at least.

Who is Murua?

Mane... uff. Not totally convinced.

Same for Agirre. Although he's OK, he's said he wouldn't die for football and wants to retire at 50!!

Goikoetxea?? Sounds to me something like Rojo. Not good enough coaches.

Clemente... jejeje. I think his days as coach are finished. What we need is somebody to bring peace, similar to what happened with Valverde. He's done a very good job quietly (at least compared with past years). Javi could also ask for more than just coaching responsibilities and would again divide the supporters, media, etc., etc. etc., which we don't need at all.

Regarding Mendilibar, I honestly don't know the man. He's certainly doing a great job at Eibar but that's 2nd division. It's also true Valverde didn't even have that experience either.

Personally I like Lotina a lot: very humble and hard worker. From Bizkaia. Plus his results are very good. I also think Celta got relegated because they sucked him. But as he is a man that keeps his word, it is unlikely that he'll leave Espanyol, plus Athletic are offering sensibly less money than he's earning at the moment.

So I'll go for Irureta (Aupa Forrest :dielaugh: ). I was very disappointed the first time he was fired. I thought he was never given the chance to show what he's capable of. His record is very good, and as somebody said in this thread, Athletic could do with a coach that takes care of the defensive part of the game... Plus he's a Basque and played for Athletic. On the other hand, I reckon he's earning a fair bit more in Deportivo, although he'd come for free (unlike Mendilibar or Lotina).

My humble opinion.....

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
inigo said:
Who is Murua?
Edorta Murua is Bilbao Athletic´s coach.

Txupa said:
BTW, today they´ve said on ETB that Athletic´s coach will be basque.
Sorry, they said he was euskaldun (euskera speaker). Javier Agirre´s chances increase...;) I´m not sure about "el vasco", he´s a very good coach but Osasuna has one of the best youth systems in the league and he hasn´t trust in any young player, instead, he has signed too many players for my taste, some without real level, I bet there are better players in Tajonar.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Txupa said:
Edorta Murua is Bilbao Athletic´s coach.
Yep, that I know. I meant the man and the coach...

By the way, the more I read about Mendilibar, the more I like him. BUT, I'm still very very disappointed about this whole thing. Valverde deserved at least another year in the bench for what he's done at Athletic.

·
Registered
309 Posts
More names, Luis Fernandez has offered himself to Lamikiz for the same money that Valverde refused. Vahid Halihodzic, ex PSG coach, also has sent his curriculum to Ibaigane and finally Walter Zenga has said to MD "It's hard to say no to Athletic".

But I've voted for Mendilibar, my favourite, he knows the club, he knows the youngsters, and he is making better impossible with the club with lowest budget in 2nd division.

Lotina can't sign with us because he has contract with Espanyol until 2.006 and it's impossible that the "pericos" will leave him.

Irureta,Mané and Clemente are worn out, they r old and they come after failing in their last expiriences with their teams, we need young, new and exciting blood.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
SOrry, that means the localized policy is not bound to the coach position? In fact, how far is the policy? (Another question is if Athletic produce shirts on their own?) Thanks.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It´s a known secret that José Luis Mendilibar will be Athletic´s coach next season, anything but that would be a great surprise. Actually Eibar is already looking for a coach. They won´t probably make it official until Eibar´s season ends so we´ll have to wait but as I said it´s pretty sure.

Logical option, nothing against it. What I would like to say is that we should demonstrate a bit more class with Eibar, I´ve read that Eibar staff aren´t happy with the way Lamikiz is negotiating with Mendilibar.

Eibar is a club I admire and a club that in my opinion deserves much more respect than others much more famous & prestigious. So if Mendilibar has to come to Athletic great, but please Lamikiz treat Eibar as they deserve, even more now that they can make history.

Erreala did something even worse last season with the Amorrortu & Riesgo thing (taking in mind they´re a joint club), looks like we don´t show much respect for our small brothers. Then I´m sure that if they had to negotiate something with Florentino or Laporta both Lamikiz and Astiazaran would treat them and their clubs with all respect.:groan:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Erreala did something even worse last season with the Amorrortu & Riesgo thing (taking in mind they´re a joint club), looks like we don´t show much respect for our small brothers. Then I´m sure that if they had to negotiate something with Florentino or Laporta both Lamikiz and Astiazaran would treat them and their clubs with all respect.
When Amorrortu left Eibar, they had already nothing to play for (they were not in danger) and they negotiated first with Eibar. I heard an Eibar board member last week saying that both situations were very different and that they were angry with Athletic because of all this mess.
Riesgo came to Donostia at mid-season. Westerveld was injured and the coaches wanted 2 1st level goal-keepers, Riesgo was in Eibar and he belonged to Erreala. Maybe I would do it in a different way but I can understand what they did and they were respectful with Eibar talking to them before. I think that there are some differences and in Eibar (from what I read and heard) they do think it too.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to admit I went too far saying what Erreala did was worse since in the end that´s something open to interpretation, I was based on the fact that they´re joint clubs so you should always expect a better treatment than from an 'outside' club although it´s also true there have always been close links between Athletic and Eibar.

But I continue thinking Erreala treated Eibar very bad, telling them at the middle of the season (with Eibar fighting for promotion) we take your goalie to sit him in our bench and taking Amorrortu before the season ended, that is, Eibar played their last league games without their head coach because he was already preparing next season for other club. No matter how you put it that doesn´t look too good for me, I don´t want to know how would I react if something similar happened in my club, and I don´t know any board memember but I do know Eibar supporters and they´re weren´t exactly happy with it.

But probably this discussion has nothing to do with the purpose of my post, and I apologize since it´s my fault for including what happened last season when that´s something irrelevant now.

So going back to topic again, if what I´ve read it´s true I would find it pretty bad & stupid from Lamikiz´s side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts