Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the week wasn´t bad enough...

350000 €, apparently that´s the price of 106 years of history. That´s what the culture department of the basque government will pay Athletic for wearing the word "Euskadi" on it´s shirt in the 2 UEFA cup games remaining on the group stage if UEFA allows it.

Eskerrik asko Fernando, you will pass to history. I wonder how will you explain this after retiring the ketchup shirt because it didn´t fit with the club´s tradition.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Txupa, there's still hope for us since UEFA have to say yes yet, which they haven't. According to AS it is not likely that they do because we've already changed the top once (only allowed that one time) and also because the sponsor (stain I'd say in this case, although not as nasty as a ketchup one, thank f**k for that) must also be worn in domestic competitions.

Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best!!

By the way, I'd rather sell Karanka for that money or even less if you push me! How about free of charge?!?!?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well, the sponsor is not a commercial company, so at least that's a good news. :wallbang: I can't believe Athletic finally decide to do this, and the price for shirt sponsor is too cheap. :stress:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I´m sorry, I didn´t know having TV3 in the shirt is obligatory as is having LFP.:rolleyes:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, then I have the solution, just fill the shirt with small boxes announcing companies, then we won´t have a sponsor!:happy:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me it´s the same to put a small TV3 box in a corner than changing the shirt to orange to promote Euskaltel, both are "dirtying" the shirt. As far as I know what made Athletic and Barça shirts different is that they didn´t have any company name on them, appart from the obligatory ones.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
inigo said:
By the way, I'd rather sell Karanka for that money or even less if you push me! How about free of charge?!?!?
Do you think there´s any team that would pay for him? And even more, Do you think there´s any team that´s willing to pay him what he earns here? I we can loan him and only pay about 50% of his salaray I´d be more than happy.

Our "friends" from as haven´t lasted much in doing some photoshop work.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Txupa said:
For me it´s the same to put a small TV3 box in a corner than changing the shirt to orange to promote Euskaltel, both are "dirtying" the shirt. As far as I know what made Athletic and Barça shirts different is that they didn´t have any company name on them, appart from the obligatory ones.
When people say "sponsor" obviously they mean putting a big name on the front of the shirt in exchange for a large amount of money. Other things might be considered "bending" the rules, but it's not the same thing.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok then, it´s a matter of language, when you talk about this in spanish you normally talk about having advertising in the shirt, from what I´ve read here in english you normally use "sponsor", which can be taken differently but I thought we all talked about the same.

Anyway, if you are happy with it better for you. In the end it´s a matter of the concept you have of it, you can also put a company´s name in the shorts, afterall that´s not the shirt. What I know is that I would be equally sad if Atheltic puts that Euskadi thing in the front or the side, taking out the esthetic point of view, for me it looses all it´s mystical and heroic side.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
i really hope athletic will not wear any "sponsor"
we can't sell 106 years of tradition for such an amount!! :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
this is unfournate.

To me it is a pride thing. I was proud not to have advertisements on out shirts. At Athletic, we hold ourselves as more than a club about money, we represent the people.

But more and more I realize that is not a reality, and it is something, sadly, I guess I have to get used too.

This is the first step to Athletic signing non-locals to play. I just hope that if they do sign non-locals they do not become hypocritical as to only sign non-spainiards. If you want to be local club for locals, wonderful, but dont be like Erreala used to be.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Simply organise a fans boycott. The lost revenue will not be made up by the sponsorship money, so the board will back down.

~ The Green ;)ne

1 - 20 of 34 Posts