1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
:confused:

W

·
0 Posts
now im sure everyone in this forum will be rooting for us against these pigs!
What a great post!!!:D

Yeh we'll send those dirty spaniards packin'!!!:tongue:

Could'nt we have been drawn against an easier team like Cordoba though....:rolleyes: But im still up for some scum beatin'!!:D

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I believe this match up will provide the champion for the copa del rey.

unfortunate for Bilbao that they have to play Real in the year when this cup actually means something to Real.

I do not see much hope for the Basque side.

W

·
0 Posts
I do not see much hope for the Basque side
No....No.....No.......Athletic will prove you wrong;) :D ;) Athletic are a changed side from this time one year ago....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Well see............

One things for sure, I think everybody in this forum will be cheering for Athletic this time

W

·
0 Posts
It would literally be illegal not to cheer on Leones against satans team...:devil:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Wimps said:
It would literally be illegal not to cheer on Leones against satans team...:devil:
LOL, Satan's team:D

Who is Fernando Hierro, his little brother???:dielaugh: :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
I sure think Athletic has a big chance in this.......

I sure want them to beat that Real Madrid team.......

C'mon guys, make us basque fans proud :proud:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from cnnsi.com,

Real loses Cup semifinal first leg, but stays clear in league
Posted: Wednesday January 23, 2002 2:02 PM
Updated: Wednesday January 23, 2002 6:03 PM

MADRID (Reuters) -- Second-half goals from Joseba Etxeberria and Ismael Urzaiz earned Athletic Bilbao a fighting 2-1 win over Real Madrid in the opening leg of their King's Cup semifinal at San Mames on Wednesday.

Real, aiming to make it through to a final that will be staged at their home Bernabeu stadium on the club's 100th birthday, gave themselves the perfect platform as Zinedine Zidane opened the scoring on four minutes.

Bilbao responded impressively, though, and two fine finishes from Spanish internationals Etxeberria and Urzaiz earned them a narrow advantage to take to Madrid for the second leg.

Real's disappointment at losing will have been softened by a surprise 2-0 victory for Rayo Vallecano in a rescheduled league game against title challengers Alaves on the same night.

Alaves needed to win to join Real at the top of the table but they missed their chance as Roberto Peragon struck from the penalty spot nine minutes into the second half and then set up Elvir Bolic for the second 13 minutes from time.

The result left Alaves in second place, three points behind Real and ahead of Deportivo Coruna on goal difference.

Battling Bilbao

Real found little of the flowing attacking football that has taken them to the top of the league table as they were frustrated by battling Bilbao.

Zidane's fourth-minute opener came via a defensive error from Jesus Lacruz, who failed to cut out a hopeful ball through the middle and gifted the Frenchman time and space to swipe past the goalkeeper.

Urzaiz planted a header just over on the quarter-hour and Francisco Pavon then did well to deny Tiko after a tricky run into the penalty area.

The Basque side redoubled their efforts after the break and were well worth their equalizer on 64 minutes, Etxeberria latching on to a long ball down the right and striking a sweet shot over Iker Casillas and inside the far post.

Bilbao upped the pressure even more and they were rewarded five minutes from time when Urzaiz chested down a flick-on from Santi Ezquerro and squeezed a left-foot shot past the Real keeper to leave the tie well placed going into the second leg.

"It was a good game, wasn't it?" said Real coach Vicente del Bosque. "Both teams were looking for the win and Bilbao were strong and enthusiastic.

"It's still open in the second leg. I said it would be difficult for either side to settle the tie here."

Third division Figueres host Deportivo Coruna in the opening leg of the second semifinal on Thursday, with the return matches to take place a week later.

The final is set for the Bernabeu on March 6, 100 years after the official date of Real Madrid's foundation.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hell [email protected]#king yeah! we beat those stinking fascists bastards!

Wimps - we did it comrade, one more and we will be in the final!

Bioweapon - cant wait for you to come back and join in the celebration.

treefingers - give it up , athletic are the PRIDE of the basque country

oseas - see treefingers ;)

i am so joyous today, i'll be singing the anthem tonight!

:strong: :strong: :strong: :smileani: :smileani: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :proud: :party: :party: :) :) :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Great result:party:

Congrats to all the Athletic fans. Great result for you and for all the Basque soccer fans:happy:

Athletic 2

Real Madrid F*ckers 1:excited: :proud:

·
Registered
42 Posts
To Bilbao2Brooklyn

Hey man,
Why do you and your cronies keep referring to Real Madrid as a fascist team? Watch your own house. In today's Spain there isn't anybody more fascist than the PNV-EAJ and its base policies. You ever read any of that and its claims to Basque superiority towards the other "mongrels" in Spain? Obviously, you're not a political science student or you wouldn't be making any such claims. And hey, I'm not even going to get into the racist policies that Athletic Bilbao follows. What do you think would happen in this country if the Yankees or Mets said, "well you know, we only want white Europeans to play for us..." We had something like that a few years back, it was called segregation and it led to no good. Osea, same goes to you. Why support a team that wouldn't allow you to play for them because of your national origin or skin color? Think about it...Peace, out.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
to Ulical

Maybe it's stupid to say that Real Madrid is a fascist team, but is was Franco's team though. The other point that I have is their fans. Have you ever perhaps noticed their hardcore ultra fans. The Ultras Sur (or should I say p*tas sur?). They are the most Racist f*ckers in whole Spain. As far as I know all the teams from Euzkadi don't have racist fans.

This brings me to your point that I might not be allowed to play for Real Sociedad because of my natural origin or skin colour. This is not true because Real Sociedad has foreign players. They even have coloured players (Luiz Alberto, last year Julio Cesar) so my skin colour would not matter.

Anyway, I respect your opinions, I just wanted to say what I think about it.

-Oseas-

·
Registered
42 Posts
Athletic Bilbao

Oseas,
You're right about Real Sociedad in a way. Foreigners can play for them, but native born Spaniards from other regions other than Euskadi aren't allowed to. Brother, any way you put it, when you don't allow someone the opportunity to do something because of their national origin, at best that's discrimination and at worst, racism. Anyways, I was referring to Athletic Bilbao. Ever see a black player wear the red and white of Athletic Bilbao? Call me and let me know because that'll be a first. As far as racist fans in Euskadi...well, I've been in the Fondo Norte of San Mames and heard all the comments about Spaniards, and other nationalities that play for teams such as Barcelona, Real Madrid etc... The point is that wherever you go in Europe, even Euskadi, you'll find rotten apples. Cheers...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Okay, I don't think B2B meant anything bad by that statement..... those were just words, even though they weren't carefully chosen. Somtimes you get a bit carried away when you talk about things you hate, it's only natural.

And we shouldn't be discussing all the turns around the policies of the Bilbao team, cause the reason they started playing with only Basque players was out of resistance to the forces of Spain.... you have to do something to get your point heard. And the reason they've kept this policy is more thtn anything because of tradition. Bilbao are allowed to play with foreigners..... they just choose not to. I'd rather see it that way than to see another Chelsea........ and the Bilbao board has confirmed that they were interested in purchasing Luccin...... he has some Basque origin from his mother's side, but he is dark coloured, so I wouldn't consider Bilbao racists.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Words...

My point exactly...here we are in 2002 and we're talking about Athletic Bilbao breaking the color barrier??? Who is this player Luccin you mentioned? Never heard of him...but I doubt he'll be signed if he wasn't born in Euskal Herria. South America has had dozens of players of actual Basque descent (Etcheverry - Bolivia, Burruchaga - Argentina, Bengoechea - Uruguay, Olarticoechea - Argentina, Alzamendi - Uruguay, Aguirre - Mexico, Aguinaga - Ecuador, Arruabarrena - Argentina, Goicochea - Argentina, Ostolaza - Uruguay to name a few....) who never got so much as a look because of their birth place. I remember a few years back that Bilbao was looking at a Venezuelan player by the name of Zubizarreta. Eventually, and after some pressure, the board decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to violate their non-Basque policy. This guy was of Basque descent but, because he was born in Venezuela, he was labelled a non-Basque!!! Maybe it's my upbringing, but I feel that any official policy based on ethnic or racial grounds is reprehensible and politically indefensible. Thanks...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts