Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 470 Posts

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the first post of a very long and exciting thread. :D

With Russian league over, Athletic will most probably not be seeded (I think that our only chance is that Zenit looses in the previous round).

Said this, these are our most probable rivals in our first eliminatory in CL.

- Zenit
- Napoli
- Arsenal
- Porto
- Leverkusen

Probably preferring Leverkusen and trying to avoid Napoli...the other three, well... it depends.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
947 Posts
If Athletic has to play against Leverkusen, I think I will go to the match. I don't live far away from it.
But I would not prefer them, sure, they lost important games clearly, but somehow I fear, they won't play like this vs a "smaller" team like Athletic.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Let's wish Zenit is going to play some other post-soviet bloc club in the previous round and get eliminated by them, meaning we would be seeded and avoid all these rivals :)

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Bwah I hoped to be seeded, this makes it somewhat more tough to reach the groupstage.

I prefer Porto or Leverkusen. Porto because I've never been there yet and Leverkusen because it's close. As for Zenit the time inbetween the third and fourth qualification round is probably too short to get a visum and stuff without paying too much while I've been already to Arsenal and Napoli.
Think we're able to beat all but for sure it won't be easy, but as Bio stated not any team will be happy to draw us.

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Porto with Lopetegi is very difficult to measure, anything can happen there. As for Napoli or Arsenal, the good thing is that they will have several players in the World Cup which could reach the eliminatory too early in preseason.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Zenit got AEL Limassol :wallbang:

That means normally we'll face a very strong opponent in our last qualification round

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Could hardly of got a worse draw tbh.

Still,they'll be thinking the same...it was never supposed to be easy!

Onwards and upwards.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Maybe Limassol has some Mirandés magic in them. ;)

But honestly, it looks like we'll be unseeded. I'd rather deal with Leverkusen, Zenit or Porto in that order. Arsenal and Napoli would be nightmares, with De Marcos already admitting the other day that Napoli would be a bad matchup.

Then after that, I don't care who we face. I just want Athletic to make it to group stage and global TV! The team didn't work to the bone last season just to play two games in the Champions League.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Could hardly of got a worse draw tbh.

Still,they'll be thinking the same...it was never supposed to be easy!

Onwards and upwards.
On reflection,this is not as bad as it could have been..it's the away leg travelling to Russia that worries me...long way for the team to travel and an equally long midweek trip for fans...2,300 miles..New York is only 3,400!

·
Registered
951 Posts
They did beat Marseille in Europa League group play 3-0 at home two seasons ago, but 1) most of Marseille's stars were out; and 2) Limassol got crushed on the road a lot.

Here's hoping for a 3-0 fluke in Cyprus followed by a predictable 0-2 loss in St. Petersburg!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
AEL Limassol have beaten Zenit 1-0, Zenit's Witsel was sent off. Next week to be the return :hopeful:.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Second leg has begun in St. Petersburg. So far, 0-0 in the 21st minute, but AEL Limassol is parking the bus and Zenit is constantly on the attack in the box.

Ball possession: 78-22% for Zenit. :(

If Limassol draws, or loses by one goal while scoring at least one goal (e.g., a 1-0 or 2-1 loss), they advance and Athletic is seeded.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wow. Danielzinho sent off with two yellow cards, the second of which was questionable. AEL now down to 10 men.

This ref is very favorable to Zenit.

·
Registered
947 Posts
This sh... really destroys my evening now.. and in our friendly vs Osasuna, Osasuna is leading by two goals to 0...

1 - 20 of 470 Posts