Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I am reading that thing and I am on page 7 and I have already found mistakes... :|

Athletic is the third succesful club... and it has won 24 Copas not 23...
well.. I'll continue reading. But until now its nothing new for me.

Edit:
Oh... and Athletic's last foreign player left 1913 I think, so it is not a 115 year Basque-only policy...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go Lucie... still pretty good reading though.. right?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Will someone answer me which animals are on the tree? And why are there two of them? There has to be some symbolism there.

Also, the tree, has 3 "fruits". Do they resemble something also?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Finrod, as far as I know are the two animals wolves with sheep in their mouth and you see those two also on the bridge shown in the logo as well (you know, San Anton and its bridge). I have seen the both wolves on it in Bilbao as well.
I think they have to do with the Lopez de Haro family who founded the city of Bilbao..

The tree is the symbol of Gernika and is also seen in the Bizkaia logo.. but I don't know anything about how much fruits it is supposed to have.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Athletic is the third succesful club... and it has won 24 Copas not 23...
well.. I'll continue reading. But until now its nothing new for me.
According to what I remember the first cup was one with another team bilbao or biscay or something like that.

ARRIETA, Welcome back, where have you been? didn't see you in ages.

·
Bilbao to Boston
10 Posts
Finrod, the two animals are wolves as Lucie said. They are from the family crest of Don Diego Lopez de Haro who founded the city, his statue is the big one in the center of the Plaza Circular at the end of the Granvia. Lopez comes from latin lupus which means wolf. It is also on the crest of the city and on the bridges and sewer caps and everywhere around the city, although newer versions of the city crest do not have the wolves anymore, I think somehow implying that the city does not belong to one man or family, i might just be b.s.ing that though. The "fruits" on the tree, although they are sometimes depicted as fruits now, are actually the ends of a cross that extends from the base of the tree. It is a tree and a cross. This is from the crest and flag of bizkaia.

·
Bilbao to Boston
10 Posts
and ManUTD, the 1st ever cope del rey was won by Club Bizkaia which was a team made up of players from Athletic Club and Bilbao FC, just to unite the best players form the city, but Bilbao FC folded later and Athletic Club absorbed the team and the players so it really was pretty much Athletic Club that won it, others just dont want to recgonise this because they are threatened by our early dominance ;) It also wasnt called the Copa del Rey yet, it was the Coronation Cup, but I dont think that has anything to do with us not having officially 24 Copas because Im prety sure the tournaments name has changed a few times

1 - 17 of 17 Posts