Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
12,740 Posts

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
More than a rumour - on the official Socceroos site too - http://www.socceroos.com.au/article/oar-reveals-i-almost-joined-bilbao/x17v90j1ets1lpjkxy2corp8

while Oar's paternal grandparents are understood to have Basque heritage, the ties were not deemed strong enough for the team coached by Ernesto Valverde to consider bringing in the 25-cap Australia international.
Certainly an interesting one... I think adopting the grandparent rule would get mixed reactions from the fans but this suggests the club contemplated it:

For a few weeks there I was hopeful that it would happen but unfortunately it didn't go ahead because of the club's policy

·
Registered
998 Posts
meanwhile...

Llorente to Sevilla (free transfer)
Illara (back) to Erreala

such a shame we never managed to realise the R. Garcia/Monreal transfers...

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
It's official, Raúl García will play for Athletic.
http://www.athletic-club.eus/cas/noticias/15697/principio-de-acuerdo-por-raul-garcia.html

Apparently Eur 8m + 2 variable.

It's not a secret I don't like Raúl, I consider him a bit of an asshole. Said this, from a football point of view, he is an outstanding signing for our club. He adds so much in so many aspects (character, strenght, leadership, aerial power, experience, shot) and he will obviously be starter automatically if he keeps his Atlético level.

Ongi etorri Raúl. Also, I like sending the message that Athletic can and will sign important players from top teams.

BTW, don't discard Monreal tomorrow, total agreement with the player, fully dependant on Arsenal finding a substitute in the following hours.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Delighted with the RG signing...top,top player who will add depth to the squad which is much needed after yesterdays shambles.

Monreal isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Slightly off topic but I watched the tug of war championships at the YMCA in Belfast earlier today...our senior guys were bested by the Germans who looked like their sons!

Our old warriors were just that..old!

The girls lost every heat against the Swedes,Dutch and Germans.

Still,a great atmosphere and great to catch up with some Countrymen/Women.

We brought some MD Riscal and jamon but those there were well catered for by their own hand!

Most were from rural districts about 30km south of Eibar and were ribbing me about Bilbao..pijo they said!!

Great fun and the first time we competed as the Basque Country and not Spain.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It's official, Raúl García will play for Athletic.
http://www.athletic-club.eus/cas/noticias/15697/principio-de-acuerdo-por-raul-garcia.html

Apparently Eur 8m + 2 variable.

It's not a secret I don't like Raúl, I consider him a bit of an asshole. Said this, from a football point of view, he is an outstanding signing for our club. He adds so much in so many aspects (character, strenght, leadership, aerial power, experience, shot) and he will obviously be starter automatically if he keeps his Atlético level.

Ongi etorri Raúl. Also, I like sending the message that Athletic can and will sign important players from top teams.

BTW, don't discard Monreal tomorrow, total agreement with the player, fully dependant on Arsenal finding a substitute in the following hours.
My information is that the Arsenal fans were palnning a revolt if Wenger sold without buying.

Monreal has become very popular with the faithful and they planned a protest of chucking nachos on the pitch if he left...true.

I don't rate him defensively but he can be very potent going forward.

We lack a defensive capacity at LB but do not need forwards in that area which Monreal effectively is..he is a poor defender imeo.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I know I'm not the most popular on here but I'll be back home for the Valencia game at the start of October if anyonr wants to meet up...

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
I'm doing the European away ones this season (as usual). However I'd certainly like to return to San Mamés again but I won't make it for the Valencia game, hopefully somewhat later into the season, preferrably in combination with a Euroleague homegame, but we'll see.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts