Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it was stated on www.worldsoccer.com that juventus had launched a 13mill. £ bid for Flamengo's Athirson.
Being just as ignorant about Brazilian domestic league football as Ze is on serie A ( :)), I would just like to get more info on that one.
WC Com said that it was reported in ó Globo (or something close). Is that a reliable source (haven't been mentioned anywhere in Europe) ?
He is said to be an attacking left wing.
Is that his true position ? Can he defend ? How old is he ? Is he fast ? I suspect his technically gifted being Brazilian and all, but is there a good head on his shoulders as well ?

Ciao.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Glen,
Athirson is BRILLIANT. Him and Reinaldo are the only real good players Flamengo have!
He is a left back.....but he is so offensive minded that you could well put him in the left side of midfield. He is not so good defensive though, but who cares?
He is fast, got a good stamina, dribbles well, has a nice shot (not powerful though), and normally you will see him going thorough the middle and scoring his fair share of goals.
He is in the first team of the Brazilian Olympic team and he has been the sub of Roberto Carlos for the last two Brazilian games...coming on agaisnt Thailand.
Globo is a good source...not very good on the political side though :) Also their is a thread going on the Barcelona forum.
Flamengo director said that he will not sell Athirson, but they need to seel him quick , cause next year he will be 24 and will go for free. So they MUST sell him until June, cause they will lose 25 million. Also, he is rejecting this deal, cause the Flamengo team has a lot of problems...on and off the pitch, and the supporters are really pressuring everyone overthere.
The Flamengo president is an idiot!
and a final note...Athirson is better going forward than Roberto Carlos! But overall Robertino is better

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor...ate o fim.
LHP - THE WORLD IS OURS!!!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Glen,
just read on www.lancenet.com.br, that Gazzeta dello Sport (i don't know how to right that), said that Juventus is not willing to pay 20 million for Athirson.
Now Athirson is having problem signing a new contract with Flamengo....the club wants a 6 year contract, while Athirson only wants 2, until the 2002 WC. Also the values of the contract are below what Athirson wants.
I think he will go to Europe in June....but the club i don't know...could be Juventus, Barcelona or someone else!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You Ze.

It's Gazzetta (otherwise correct). What it said was that Gazzetta's journalist's didn't THINK Juve would pay that much.
I think it's unlikely too, but considering Athirson might leave for free next season I guess it's not unrealistic that something could be worked out.
I saw the thing on the Barcelona forum, and considering that they're in the market BIG TIME for Overmars and has Sergi and Zenden allready Juve is not that unlikely if they really want him.

Good to know that he's a good player anyway.
At Juve he would cetainly be used a s left midfield if this deal would go through.
Juve is not a team that buys defenders for their offensive skills, but I suppose he could be used there if Ancelotti wanted to use the 4-4-2 line-up occasionally.
Otherwise I guess this is a good solution to solve our attacking problems on the left wing. Many good things can be said about Pessotto, but offensive qualities are not among them... :).
I like the fact that he's a young player too. Something to build on.

Ciao.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Glen,
The Flamengo president Edmundo Santos e Silva will travel this week to Milano and Turin to meet with your president Giani Agnelli (is he still the president o Juventus?) I think Athirson will be sold this summer to you guys!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts