Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
69,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Astra was founded in 1921, as the sports club of the oil company Astra Romana, based in the county of Prahova. Initially their players were the English, American, Dutch and Romanian workers of the company.

In 1998 they reached the top division for the first time. In 2012 the team moved from Ploiesti to Giurgiu.

Their titles are 1 Cup and 1 SuperCup, both won in 2014. This season they have reached the Europa League groups stage for the first time.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Why give them an own thread...they'll probably disappear in the coming months now that they finally reached the group stage ;)

·
Registered
69,006 Posts
they were mentioned on the BBC World Football Phone-In show, the European "expert" (Andy Brassell) says they play very good football but the players haven't been paid in months. They came up because a caller asked why Romanian football has declined so much. Brassell says its more down to the corruption of the league rather than not producing good enough players as teams like Astra do play good football

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
they were mentioned on the BBC World Football Phone-In show, the European "expert" (Andy Brassell) says they play very good football but the players haven't been paid in months. They came up because a caller asked why Romanian football has declined so much. Brassell says its more down to the corruption of the league rather than not producing good enough players as teams like Astra do play good football
Very true

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Nice to hear this, they do play most times good football.

·
Registered
25,390 Posts
To be honest, and I'm not saying this because I'm Romanian, we have to really highlight how much our teams do with so little support. I mean club owners are simply awful, there wasn't really a youth program before, attendance is for the most part abysmal, outside interests (agents) seem to dominate the scene, we have a primadonna-like media (that seems to be getting worse and worse) and yet we still get some results. I believe that it is due to a handful of people (players, coaches, officials) who really want to succeed and carry the others' loads.

Just think how surprised Moldovan was when, after being appointed at the helm of the U21, he realized he simply has to focus on coaching and not on solving organizational problems (plane tickets, accommodation, change of plans) and other non-football related stuff.

·
Registered
42,576 Posts
On the bigsoccer forums there's a poster called "Radu Razvan" who gives updates in the Japanese Abroad - Takayuki Seto thread [they give updates on how he's performing throughout the season]. I'm wondering if Radu Razvan posts here as well?

·
Registered
69,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Takayuki is very well considered in Romania. He's seen as a very good professional. He's a decent player too.

Unfortunately for him, playing in Romania closes the NT doors and he's ignored (it shouldn't be like that). Maybe playing in EL will help him.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
To be honest, and I'm not saying this because I'm Romanian, we have to really highlight how much our teams do with so little support. I mean club owners are simply awful, there wasn't really a youth program before, attendance is for the most part abysmal, outside interests (agents) seem to dominate the scene, we have a primadonna-like media (that seems to be getting worse and worse) and yet we still get some results. I believe that it is due to a handful of people (players, coaches, officials) who really want to succeed and carry the others' loads.
Absolutely. And because we do have very talented individuals

·
Registered
69,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alex Ionita:

"Îmi este greu să mă impun, pentru că sînt jucători foarte, foarte valoroşi aici, la Astra. Mă antrenez, îmi aştept rîndul, şi, cînd intru, încerc să dau ce am mai bun. Nu sîntem foarte mulţi jucători, sîntem în 4 competiţii, sperăm ca toţi să fim de folos.

Am venit la o echipă care se bate la titlu, ştiam unde vin, dar speram să mi se dea mai multe şanse să joc. Am avut ceva probleme de acomodare, s-a pus chiar problema să plec împrumut la un moment dat, dar am decis să rămîn alături de echipă"

·
Registered
5,801 Posts

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
They needed players in CM, Florescu will be a filler. That CD has much experience in Ligue I, which is a lot for Liga I standards. They have a very nice squad now, ready for 2 competitions

1 - 20 of 234 Posts