Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both teams had good wins in their weekend games, but obviously we had the biggest result ;)

Hope Raffa keeps his side that managed to beat Arsenal, and give Nunez a chance to play on the right of midfield from the start,
my line-up:

-------Kirkland
Finnan--Hyypia--Carra--Riise
------Didi------Xabi--------
Nunez----Gerrard------Kewell
-------Mellor/Sinama-------

I hope we can build on our recent 2 results vs. Spurs and Arsenal and return from the midlands with top points, they are missing Lee Hendrie, but we will not face an easy task.
C:boxing:ME :proud:N REDS :heart:!

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Agree with l4e's team although would consider playing Warnock at left back and moving Riise up to left winger, maybe also consider Whitbread or Raven at center back... Anyway I think the team you said will be the team that starts.

Should be a good game I expect Liverpool to win though, even with the injuries we should beat Aston Villa if we play anything like we did against Arsenal.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I agree w/ liverpool4ever's lineup except that I would play Dudek over Kirkland. Would great if we can 3 points points from this match and then continue to do the same against Everton the next week.

-Scott

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm concerned about Gerrard, I know he has the ability to just run a game by himself. Liverpool are a different side when he's in the team.

But we have the smallest squad in the Premiership and have injuries and suspensions to key players and still sit 6th in the table, so you have to give us credit there.

Anyway, Saturday we'll be defending an unbeaten home record without Hendrie (suspended), Hitzlsperger (injured), Vassell (injured), Laursen (injured) so O'Leary has no choice but to blood the youngsters. Davis will start his second game of the season in midfield and we should line up like this:

Sorensen

De La Cruz - Delaney - Mellberg - Samuel

Solano - Davis - McCann - Barry

Cole - Angel​

im expecting a draw.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
you make yourself sound so disadvantaged but we are mostly in the same position, mellor never got a shot before ciise broke his leg and baros tore his ham

rafa has to play youngsters most of the time, so we are pretty much in the same boat.

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought Villa won last weekend :embarass:, anyway, from what Pablo said it appears both teams have injuries to important players, but I still think we have what it takes to beat them, even at Villa park :)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
we can't allow for the Bluenose scum to beat you at Anfield and then us lose at VP :moan:. Hopefully we can overcome you, we tend to perform at home, but I think it's gonna be a close game.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
likewise :D, u must really succ to lose at home to Birmingham though. We'll hammer them next week no doubt, cant wait :party:

but 3 points tomorrow will make the derby that much nicer :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
we did suck. please note the past tense. i'm hoping that we won't suck tomorrow (today for those of you in europe).

from what i hear, both josemi and traore are back from injuries and mellor will be starting (that last bit is unconfirmed). i want rafa to start fsp instead of mellor, if that's the choice - i feel he would be a bigger threat to the villa defense and help create more space for our attacking midfield. i don't like josemi and would like to see finnan start at RB again - he does well defensively and offers good distribution and is useful going forward at times, a huge improvement this season. if he is at RB, starting fsp on the right would be an option again, which would let rafa start mellor up front. i don't want to see nunez start yet, although i'm open to bringing him on as a sub in the second half if things are going well at that point. i like traore and have been impressed with his defensive work this season. with that said, his distribution is still woeful and i believe riise's ability to pass out of defense in the arse game made a huge difference, because we were able to retain posession bringing the ball out of defense. although he is definitely useful on the left wing, more usefull than kewell at the moment, if harry starts (which reports say he will), i'd like to see riise at left back. in short, i'd keep the same starting eleven we played against the arse.

keeping my fingers crossed that we will play with as much heart tomorrow. if we do, it's in the bag. if we don't, villa is going to walk right over us because they're solid (especially this early in the season) and can't be beat just by showing up.

-p

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I'd start FSP too.. Mellor's knock is a worry to me as he's quite slow on the ball when he's fully fit.. so imagine him carrying a knock..

other than that.. Josemi comes back in RB.. and Finnan slots in FSP's right midfield role..

Villa Park is NOT an easy place to go to.. their record speaks for itself.. I think Chelsea, Villa and us have the best home records in the league (with us winning all except that loss to Birmingham)..

As rusko was saying.. I'd be pleased if the lads showed the heart that they showed against the Arse.. and I'd expect the win to come as a result of that effort.. although if it happens.. it'd be a narrow one..

I'm glad Villa are missing 2 midfielders.. with Hitzelsperger (NO IDEA HOW THAT'S SPELT!! :)) the biggest relief.. his long range shot are one hell of a danger..

Oh and I want Dudek back in goal.. his performance against Spurs reminded me of the Dude of 3 years back.. and Kirky has not been showing steady performances.. if the selection is based on the best form... I'd go for Dudek..

Honestly.. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended 0-0..

·
Registered
170 Posts
yasir,

i would only play josemi if finnan were moved up front. i don't expect this to happen because i think rafa will play mellor up front and (hopefully) leave fsp on the right. i can't see him change back to a 4-2-2 away from home, and i hope he doesn't. we need to have as much quality on the pitch as possible and leaving our our CMs is not the way to do that.

agreed that hitz(e)lsperger's absence is a relief, as is hendrie's - we could be defending well all night only to concede from a long range shot if those two were on the pitch. it also solidifies our dominance in midfield - if we play our cards right, they'll be constrained to hoofing the ball up front because we won't let them move it up the pich through our midfield.

disagree on dudek, at least at the moment. we've always known that the dude has the capacity to make wonder saves - what was in question is his command of the box and his consistency. i've not been extensively impressed by kirkland - he hasn't let in any howlers (as dudek did) iirc, but he hasn't made any spectacular saves either and by god we could have done with a few of those. one good game is not enough to put dudek back in - i'd like to see him perform well over the course of multiple games. we simply can't afford to let in a goal the opposition did not deserve to score in any of the upcoming games.

i don't consider a goalless draw likely. we've always conceded and lost when we didn't score this season . likewise, we've mostly won when we did score. we score mainly when we control possession and vice versa and it has been shown that we can't often keep a clean sheet when we don't control possession.

in short, we need to play our socks off, keep the ball and knock a few in of course ;]

-p

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
about half an hour gone, we are leading 1-0, Kewell scored the only goal of the game so far, hope it's a good goal for him, been some time.. (when was the last time he netted?)
Hope the whole team is playing their socks off like they did last weekend vs. Arsenal :).

COME ON REDS! :boxing:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Liverpool well on top.
Cole has gone off injured too, so we've kissed the game goodbye.

can expect 2/3-0. Damn, couldnt have been a worse start to a game :frustrat:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
:D

just before HT was nice, another free-kick to add to the collection for Nobby. But to be honest, we didn't deserve it. Gonna be an interesting second half.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
I hoping that gives us confidence and we can begin to play like we have been at home! A 45 mins like our first half against Pompey would be my ideal! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts