Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asta and Manfredini to get Italy chance

Saturday 26th January 2002

Torino captain Antonino Asta and Chievo's Cote d'Iviore-born midfielder Christian Manfredini are set to be called up for Italy's friendly against USA next month. "I can confirm I'll try out some new players before the World Cup," said coach Giovanni Trapattoni.

"Everyone is saying that Christian deserves a call-up, and I agree. But if I can put in a good word for anyone, I want to congratulate Torino captain Antonino Asta, who's having a great season.

"I can reveal that he'll be a new name called up for Italy's next international match."

Manfredini was born in Cote d'Iviore but has an Italian passport because he moved to Italy when he was two years old. And last November the highly-rated star turned his back on the nation of his birth being called up by national team coach Lama Bamba.

"I don't remember any of my time in Africa and I feel 100 per cent Italian," he told Eurosport.

Trapattoni, who said on Friday that he was satisfied with Friday's Euro 2004 draw which grouped his team with Yugoslavia, Finland, Wales and Azerbaijan, said last summer that Manfredini would have a chance to prove himself.

"I will go on with my experiments, because we have to be ready if any important players are injured next summer. I expect to give Manfredini a chance," he said.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
This is tremendous news. I'm surprised no one has reacted to it yet. What this essentially means is that Trapp has recognized our need for quality, ripping wingers that know how to advance the ball and produce goals for others. DiLivio's and Pancaro's days may officially be numbered. Very big development that could even lead to a 3-5-2 formation if pieces start falling into place. I just hope it's not too late to integrate them.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I think Trapp has a starting 11 in his mind (form and injury allowing) so really, we all know Asta and Manfredini are vying for places on the bench. But at least this will give us options, partically in tight matches. Primo, anyone's better than Pancaro!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mikey said:
I think Trapp has a starting 11 in his mind (form and injury allowing) so really, we all know Asta and Manfredini are vying for places on the bench. But at least this will give us options, partically in tight matches. Primo, anyone's better than Pancaro!
Mikey, I totally agree with you, anyone is better than Pancaro. He can't run, can't pass, can't shoot, it reminds me of some player but I'm not going to mention it here :) Manfredini should get a chance for Italy, I'm with you.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Primo, anyone's better than Pancaro!>>

I've been trying to explain this to Trapp for years.
:)
I ain't too high on Coco and Zambrotta either, as most of you know. Zambrotta ALWAYS finds a way to screw up in blue. He's not my preference, but I'll take whatever Trapp provides.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Manfredini was born in Cote d'Iviore but has an Italian passport because he moved to Italy when he was two years old. And last November the highly-rated star turned his back on the nation of his birth being called up by national team coach Lama Bamba.
"I don't remember any of my time in Africa and I feel 100 per cent Italian," he told Eurosport.
I'm happy that he will play for us but if I was from Ivory Coast I wouldn't be too happy with what he said above.
It'd be nice to see both of these players get a run with the nazionale but I doubt they will be starters anytime soon or even regulars in the squad. Sort of like what Mikey is saying.
Pancaro isn't good enough for the NT now and I don't really reckon he ever was. I think and hope Giovanni has gotten the idea now.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asta faith in Azzurri dream Monday 4 February, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonino Asta has admitted that he believes he could get an international call-up but only because his profession forces him to think that way.

The Torino winger has been hotly tipped to be selected in the Azzurri squad which will face America in a friendly on February 13.

And the Italian was in great form again on Saturday in the 0-0 draw with Inter and national boss Giovanni Trapattoni saw it all from the San Siro stands.

"Whoever is in my profession always hopes and believes that one day they might be able to represent their national side," Asta said.

"After all we are playing football everyday of our lives. The objective of my club is to survive in Serie A.

"Mine is to keep on improving in the hope that my dream of playing for La Nazionale will be realised."

Asta, now 31-years-old, is also being tracked by a variety of clubs both at home and abroad after talks to extend his contract at the Delle Alpi have hit problems.

Meanwhile, Trapattoni is set to unveil his squad for the USA game next Saturday. Chievo’s Christian Manfredini is also a candidate to win his first call-up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts