Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ask Boyo questions about living in the Nederlands.

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Q: Boyo, can you ask Humbird to translate the Checho Batista article posted on a thread Fangio just started?

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
hahaha fenomeno!!

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Q: Boyo, can you ask Humbird to translate the Checho Batista article posted on a thread Fangio just started?
Off topic!

Ask me about living in the Netherlands.

·
38,110 Posts
What's it like?
In general it's ok.

Some issues need to be addressed in a future release though.

I would like to have broader opening hours for stores and better customer service.

We're far too heavily taxed. The income tax and sales tax are of ludicrous proportions. It either one would be adjusted to a more reasonable level, it would do wonders for our purchasing power and give our economy a huge boost.

Our political landscape is too diverse. There are too many small political parties which makes governing confusing and difficult. The reality at the moment is that a four (!) party coalition is necessary to form a majority cabinet. Such a thing is far too unstable to effectively govern the country and creates an undesireablly weak derivative of party programs and election promises.

The weather. Lacking any sort of mountainous terrain in roughly 90% of the country, makes it a playground for low-pressure areas. This results in windy weather conditions almost every day of the year. Our civil engineers are said to be among the best in the world when it comes to water works, so let them try their skills on the land as well and create a range of artificial mountains. This could be combined with already existing plans of strenghtening our sea defenses, to prevent potential flooding. Elevating the dunes to the status of hills, or mountains, would solve both issues at once.

·
38,110 Posts
boyo considering how much time you spend on xtratime do you actually do any work during work hours?
It's not as bad as it was a few years ago. But it does mean I occasionally have to hurry to make deadlines. My co-workers all think I'm a very hard worker though, as they always see me sitting behind my desk, frantically typing away on my keyboard with a grimace on my face. That I'm actually posting on an internet forum doesn't occur to them. In that regard the Costanza and Dilbert principles are very much true. Sitting behind your desk+looking annoyed=working hard. :)

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
i guess you either have your own office then or your computer is facing the wall meaning its not like in the middle of the room where the guy sitting behind you can see what you are doing

·
Administrator
30,898 Posts
Boyo lives in netherlands ? This whole dutch thing is not one of his jokes?

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Do you feel a kinship to the Netherlands Antilles?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
are you :stoned: some times?

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Let's see... Netherlands is the correct name of the country, whereas Holland is only a region within the Netherlands, right?

...and how do you say right/correct in Dutch?

·
Administrator
30,898 Posts
I think Netherlands is myth created by people who could not pronouce Neverlands. There is no such thing as dutch people. Only garlic people.

·
38,110 Posts
i guess you either have your own office then or your computer is facing the wall meaning its not like in the middle of the room where the guy sitting behind you can see what you are doing
That's been a problem a few times in the past, but then I moved my monitor so that people walking into my office couldn't see it anymore and it's been fine ever since. When someone walks in, I have enough time to close my browser before they reach my desk.

However, in the new office there's a window to the right of me and I think people might be able to see what's on my monitor. So I have to come up with a solution for that.

Fortunately the SAP support site has a similar color scheme to Xtratime, so if the do happen to see what I'm doing, they might simply conclude I'm doing something job related.

·
38,110 Posts
Do you feel a kinship to the Netherlands Antilles?
I consider us all citizens of the Kingdom. Although I think that for the Antilles it would probably be better if they gained independence, like what Suriname did in the 80's. But that's up to them. They had a vote a few years and the population expressed the desire to remain a self-governed part of the Netherlands.

·
38,110 Posts
Let's see... Netherlands is the correct name of the country, whereas Holland is only a region within the Netherlands, right?
That's right. The full name is Kingdom of the Netherlands, or the Netherlands. Holland used to be a county. One of the most powerful and influential counties of the Republic of the Netherlands, as we were called prior to 1830 when the Kingdom was formed. Ships that sailed to discover new lands did so mainly from port cities in the county of Holland. The sailors considered themselves Hollanders first and Netherlanders second, so they introduced themselves as being from Holland instead of being from the Netherlands. People abroad concluded that their country must be Holland then, and throughout the centuries that name stuck. And it still does.

Tim said:
...and how do you say right/correct in Dutch?
Right=goed.

But you can also say 'correct', just as you do in English. The word is exactly the same in Dutch and has the same meaning.

·
38,110 Posts
I think Netherlands is myth created by people who could not pronouce Neverlands. There is no such thing as dutch people. Only garlic people.
We are the real Neverland ranch of Michael Jackson. :party:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts