- Park Ji-Sung - Manchester United

Thailand

- Surat Sukha - Melbourne Victory
- Sutee Suksomkit - Melbourne Victory

Uzbekistan

- Marat Bikmoev - Spartak Nalchik
- Aziz Ibrahimov - Bohemians Prague :D

----------------------

A pretty complete list of Asians abroad I think. Some weird ones..ones famous in their smaller nations (with 50+ caps) playing in minor Belgian top flight sides. No idea if they've broken through there though.

Yes no convicts but you guys have your own forum :pp

but anyway, any updates on progress, transfers, spectacular goals ...here is the place to be

btw this Morimoto guy, is he actually any good? good enough to move to a bigger Serie A club?

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
btw this Morimoto guy, is he actually any good? good enough to move to a bigger Serie A club?
Well, Ronaldo was a real champion so calling Morimoto the Japanese Ronaldo is a bit too much. Not even the comparison with Filippo Inzaghi is correct indeed (because Filippo Inzaghi simply scores much more!), but there is no doubt that Morimoto is an excellent forward and is better than all the clowns/forwards I have seen wearing the shirt of the Japanese NT (Kazu Miura, Wagner Lopes, Jo, Nakayama, Takahara, Yanagisawa, Kubo, Okubo, Oguro, Maki, etc. etc. ). They can finally say that they have one striker.
I haven't seen a lot of him but here's a post from an avid Serie A watcher. It was back in September although alas Mori has gone a bit dry goals-wise; I hope the introduction of a new coach will improve things for him and the team.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Andranik Teymourian - Fulham reserves
I'm disappointed more hasn't come from his travels. For Iran and Bolton he looked really good and now here he is for the Fulham reserves. Granted they've got a good team, still. This generation of Iranian players had a lot of promise and excitement about it but has been let down [of course some political factors but surely not only that]. Hiring Ali Daei as coach, that didn't go well - another big name footballer to fail in the managerial chair... Ali Karimi falling out with Team Melli for a time.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Wally, your list is good but one needs adding. His name is Nam Tae-Hee and he plays for Valenciennes. His progress has been sidetracked by injury but when given minutes [as a sub mostly] fans have been impressed. He's a midfielder who tries to bring a spark. Before injury fans wanted him in the XI although the club were more cautious.

Was back in the squad this week against Lorient.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
added :thumbsup: and while I did that, I remember Ajax have a Korean kid playing for their u21 team too

·
Registered
639 Posts
Regarding Sutee Suksomkit, it seems that he will play his last game this Sunday as he has fulfilled his role as a guest player (1/3 of the season).

Unfortunately he has not been really impressing the fans, but then again he is played wide even though in the Thailand NT he is played as a forward.

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Cha Du-Ri - SC Freiburg
He's the son of Cha Bum-Kun aka "CHA BOOOOOOM!" whom some consider the greatest Asian player of all time. They definitely have their reasons: for around a decade between '79 and '89 he played in the Bundesliga averaging almost a goal every three games. Lined up for Eintracht and Leverkusen. All up 98 goals in 308 appearances.

[tub]fDE769Guaws[/tub]

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
More obscure but Homma Kazuo lines up for Nyíregyháza Spartacus in the Hungarian top flight. Don't know about now but earlier in the season he was doing well, leagues leading scorer, eight or so goals I think. He's spent a number of years journeying around Hungary and more broadly Central Europe. I wanted to give Japan one as they're trailing their rivals by quite a bit.

·
Registered
43,220 Posts
Where's Singapore on that list? You have Jordan, Thailand, Lebanon, China and North Korea (which has qualified for the World Cup)...all of which Singapore has beaten in the past.

Singapore. :proud:

Please do your homework ILA, before making posts with unforgivable omissions. I forgive you though. But only since it's still Christmas time.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More obscure but Homma Kazuo lines up for Nyíregyháza Spartacus in the Hungarian top flight. Don't know about now but earlier in the season he was doing well, leagues leading scorer, eight or so goals I think. He's spent a number of years journeying around Hungary and more broadly Central Europe. I wanted to give Japan one as they're trailing their rivals by quite a bit.
Added as well as a Chinese kid I found at FC Metz

and if you want to be really exact, I added an 11 year old Kuwaiti kid currently for Excelsior Rotterdam lol

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1895039513/

[tub]r2EM26blbWw[/tub]

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Added as well as a Chinese kid I found at FC Metz

and if you want to be really exact, I added an 11 year old Kuwaiti kid currently for Excelsior Rotterdam lol

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1895039513/

[tub]r2EM26blbWw[/tub]
lol interesting video. I like the atmosphere presented.

Off-topic but what's the relationship/feelings held between the three Rotterdam clubs Feyenoord, Sparta and Excelsior?

·
Registered
42,474 Posts

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excelsior is Feyenoord's satellite club. Some of their fans don't like it but the fact is they only attract 1500 to 2000 fans a game and that's far too little to sustain a professional club. So that's why their board's decided to have this partnership with Feyenoord for like the last 15 years.
Feyenoord fans see them as their little brothers.

Sparta with Feyenoord. Sparta view us as their biggest rivals but the fact they're now a lot smaller than us so it doesn't apply to our view of them.

Sparta with Excelsior - just normal rivals but no real tension between the fans. Bit like say Crystal Palace vs Fulham or Leyton Orient vs Watford. Geographically from the same place but no main rivals

·
Registered
639 Posts
After searching for a bit, I found some list of Singapore players in Indonesia. If there are any mistakes, please let it be known.

Noh Alam Shah - Arema Malang
M Riduan - Arema Malang
Precious Emuejeraye - Sriwijaya FC
Mustafic Fahruddin - Persija
Bahaikki Khaizan - Persija

More information on South East Asian football can be found in Jakarta Casual blog

·
Registered
43,220 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm sorry ILA. :(

It's all Wally's fault.

He of all people should include Singapore. After all, our finest export, Fandi Ahmad, played in the Eredivisie for FC Groningen in the early to mid '80's and was approached twice by Wally's favourite club, Ajax, to sign for them (the first time being even before he joined Groningen). He decided to return to Singapore though since he was homesick (which was something he subsequently regretted). :(

Anyway, the fans adored him and he was voted one of the top 25 players ever for the club. A few years ago, he was named in Groningen's all-time starting XI as well.

One of the highlights of his stint with Groningen was scoring against my very own Inter in the UEFA Cup. :(

Shame on you, Wally.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes :( lol

·
Registered
42,474 Posts
Wally, I have another one. Don't feel bad :D the club's not exactly Real Madrid. But anyway, Bassim Abbas is an Iraqi left-back and was one of the players who impressed so much on the road to their Asian Cup triumph, along with the likes of Younis Mahmoud and Nashat Akram. Bassim can be found plying his trade at Turkish club Diyarbakirspor.

I'm going to dig about those other two.

Nashat Akram Abid Ali (Arabic: نشأت اكرم‎, born September 12, 1984 in Baghdad, Iraq) is an Iraqi professional football player who is currently playing for FC Twente in the Netherlands and the Iraq national football team.

er lol

Younis Mahmoud Khalef (Arabic: يونس محمود‎; born 2 March 1983 in Kirkuk, Iraq) is an Iraqi football Striker who currently plays for Al-Gharafa in Qatar and captain of the Iraq national football team. In 2007, he captained the Iraq football team to Asian Cup glory.

·
Registered
43,220 Posts
Regarding Sutee Suksomkit, it seems that he will play his last game this Sunday as he has fulfilled his role as a guest player (1/3 of the season).

Unfortunately he has not been really impressing the fans, but then again he is played wide even though in the Thailand NT he is played as a forward.
lol, am pretty sure he's been playing for the Singaporean league (S-League). Don't think he has the consistency to be a top player but he can be pretty decent if he has effective communication with his teammates which is more evident at the NT level. His set-pieces are his strong point - but I haven't seen enough of him to say how good he really is.

Sad thing is that Thailand had the potential to actually become a top club in Asia (and possibly beyond). They looked very strong in about 2002 but went downhill from there. Tireless runners and tough players who could put up a good fight even without an effective tactical system (draw with Brazil showed that, imo). But now it seems that Thailand is looking for famous coaches to do the job more than anything else. Peter Reid was manager just before Bryan Robson, I think.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts