Australia
India
Bahirain

Group D

Iraq
North Korea
UAE
Iran

All kicks off on the 7th of January with Qatar facing Uzbekistan.

So who do you expect to go through?

At face value, I'd say Uzbekistan and China from Group A
The Saudis and Japanese from Group B
The South Koreans and Aussies from Group C
The Iranians and Iraq/North Korea from Group D

Group A and D seem the most competitive.

Some nice local derbies thanks to the draw too

·
Registered
42,463 Posts
I've been reading that Syria have improved. Of course KSA failed to qualify for the WC. Maybe they can challenge for second spot.

China have improved under their new coach Gao Hongbo, but Qatar have an excellent record against them. +they'll be playing on home soil with fan backing.

Some people seem to be doubting North Korea, and I wonder - I know they had some bad matches at the WC, but it was a hell group. Japan and SK would have failed. At this level they can do well and they played well vs. Brazil, anyway I like some of their players, especially the link-man in attack, Hong Yong-jo. They're better than UAE and Iraq who have fallen since their AC triumph, alas their promise has failed to materialise.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,015 Posts
Group A: Qatar and Kuwait
Group B: Japan and KSA
Group C: South Korea and Australia
Group D: North Korea and Iran

Qatar seems quite good, they have a couple of naturalized players too, right? I know nothing about Kuwait, but Gulf sides are supposed to be tough :D
Group D is maybe the most balanced group of them all.

·
Registered
42,463 Posts
I am interested in seeing how well or how badly China perform. If you look at their squad, you will see it is a very young squad with only a few older faces left over from past campaigns. Coach Gao has looked at a number of young Chinese players and if you look at their results you will see some inconsistency, inevitable, they are young and he's trying things, trying to find players for the team, and to mold them into it for years to come.

As the friendlies have passed, he has identified players, and a stand-out is Feng Rengliang. He's a winger, good close control, dribbling ability, explosive shot. He immediately stood out as a cut above the rest in the average CSL. Some predict a future for him in Europe. Sadly, he is injured and out for the Asian Cup. That really disappointed me! He plays for Shanghai Shenhua.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
South Korea
Australia
India
Bahirain

With this group, our only hope is not to lose any game by more than 2 goals.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
We play like a Conference National team. The midfield and defenders are useless. The goalkeeper (Subrata Paul) is pretty good (Championship/League 1 level maybe), and the forwards (Bhaichung and Chhetri) are OK, although Bhauchung is 34 now.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Lol Bhaichung is 5'8'' and Chhetri is 5'7''

And they aren't built like Rooney either

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
イラ;8307926 said:
What results did you claim to get here?
We won some AFC Challenge Cup (that we hosted)

Think we had North Korea, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan as serious contenders, the rest were Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Nepal, Afghanstan.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,015 Posts
Bhaichung's a good skillful forward from what I vaguely remembered when Indonesia played India years ago. And IIRC Indian keeper got sent off late in the 2nd half and with no subs left, they put Bhaichung as a replacement goalie :pp

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
イラ;8307937 said:
How did you do against North Korea?
We didn't play them. They were in the other group and got knocked out in the semis by Tajikistan.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Beat Afganistan and Turkmentistan in the group stages, drew with Tajikistan. Beat Myanmar in the semis on a horrible pitch, and thrashed Tajikistan 4-1 in the final. Chhetri got a hat-trick in that.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Yeah, but these teams are considerably lower rated than the ones in our group. Australia and South Korea are among the world's elite teams these days and Bahrain must be the unluckiest team at making world cup finals.

1 - 20 of 565 Posts