Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOKYO, June 26 (Reuters) - The Asian Football Confederation (AFC), boosted by South Korea's surprise progress to the World Cup semi-finals, has repeated its demand for the continent to be given five places in the 2006 finals in Germany.

AFC general secretary Peter Velappan, pointing to Korea's feat plus Japan's progress to the second round, said on Wednesday his organisation would ask world governing body FIFA after Sunday's final to raise the number of guaranteed places for Asia.

In addition to co-hosts South Korea - beaten 1-0 by Germany in Tuesday's first semi-final - and Japan, both China and Saudia Arabia also qualified for this year's finals from Asia.

The continent also had the chance of a another spot through a play-off with a European team but Iran lost out to Ireland.

'China and Saudi Arabia were unfortunate (at this year's finals). Asia's spots will have to be increased, considering the population and the number of television viewers on the continent,' Velappan told the Kyodo news agency.

------------

I dont think this is fair...

With Saudi Arabia losing 8-0.. China losing 4-0.. And Korea/Japan playing in their own stadiums (it doesnt count much considering the mistakes that put Korea through), I think Asia doesnt deserve an extra seat at all. Remember, this is my opinion.

Doesnt Asia have 3.5 seats ?

What do you think ? Will they take this seat from Europe ?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Hell no. Asain teams don't deserve anything. Well South Korea does and Japan, but I am yet unsure if this performance by both teams, was the real deal, a fluke, or another FIFA setup.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All credit to South Korea and Japan but they were at home in this World Cup. I really don't think they would have done much if not at home. The other 2 Asian teams did nothing. If anything, Asia should lose a spot. It should be 3 spots with a chance for a fourth by winning a playoff.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nope. Don't think so.

South Korea's performance had been excellent, beyond what everyone's expect of them. Based on Cameroon's performance in 90', thus, giving Africa the extra seat, technically, AFC has the right to request for the extra seat. Not to mention there were a lot of countries in Asia, such a huge continent, and football is such a popular sport they wanted to take part in it too.

On second thought, Saudi Arabia. Ergh. Nuff said. They were in the dream world of their own, waking up after 8-0 trashing by Germany, and China's first-time-try-and-see-what-happened attitude, well, I don't think China has the right attitude there. Go to WC to win the game, not just to try and hang around and see. That was a dissapointment. If some other teams decided to approach this attitude, WC could be so boring!

and speaking about Europe, well, some of the great footballing nation like Holland was not here, but hey! Slovenia was here. But the performance of Europe had been quite well I said, not that excellent (UEFA's long season), but at least they don't have the 8-0 trashing from other team. So, it was pretty fair I said.

Btw, after Korea's performance, I'm sure FIFA will think about it. But atm, it seems, nope, not yet. It will be a serious consideration if the Asians get their act together in the Olympic, World Youth Cup, World Club football and other international tournament, then, maybe the 5th seat doesn't sound absurd anymore.

ciao!

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
River said:
Nope. Don't think so.

South Korea's performance had been excellent, beyond what everyone's expect of them. Based on Cameroon's performance in 90', thus, giving Africa the extra seat, technically, AFC has the right to request for the extra seat. Not to mention there were a lot of countries in Asia, such a huge continent, and football is such a popular sport they wanted to take part in it too.
I think the comparison here is a little bit harsh.

Cameroon reached the quarter finals in ITALY, not in Cameroon.

AND

Cameroon lost to England over some controversial penalty kicks to say the least.

On the other hand.. Korea played in KOREA AND Korea advanced twice after some refereeing mistakes.

Plus, Korea was unfairly (or at least I think so) ranked top seed in this world cup meaning their group was quite easy because it had no other top seeds. Normally Korea would be 3rd seed. Cameroon wasnt ranked 1st seed and had to go through a tough group.

Lastly, FIFA didnt give Africa the extra seats based on Cameroon's performance. Rather on Cameroon in 90.. Egypt in 90 (despite losing in the group stages we had one hell of a group in Holland.. England.. Ireland and still had good results) plus Nigeria in 94.. So its really a string of goof performances that was promising enough for FIFA and not only Cameroon in 90.

On the other side, I dont see an impressive string of performances by the Asian nations. Sure, Korea in the semis is a big deal, but its very debateable..

I am not sure if FIFA has got anything to do with the olympics either, but looking at Nigeria in 96, Cameroon in 2000... Plus looking at the Youth world cup last year in Argentina with Ghana winning second and Egypt winning third I suppose Asia must come up with something thats as impressive on the long run to justify the equal number of seats.

I dont see number of viewers as a factor. This is not about football.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
5 spots for Asia? Don't think so!They have to earn it on the field and deserve it!
Africa may deserve an extra spot and we should as well go ahead and give an extra spot for Europe as to make sure that in the future WC's, all the very best teams are present and not some mickey mouse team!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yo Sabry! That's what I said later in my post, last paragraph, that the Asians has got to show better performance in other tournaments too, like World Youth Cup, the Olympic, The World Club Cup etc etc.... like Africa did, so the 5th seat will not sound that absurd. My first paragraph was just an argument from moi, trying to see AFC's side of the story and why did they started to request it. That's all...

And besides, I just say AFC has the right to request, not the right for an extra seat. At the moment, I didn't see anything wrong with a request, but if FIFA decided to grant it based on 02' WC performance, then really, I believe the pressure was in Asia to perform well. So, we'll see about it.

ciao!

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
This is a joke. JUst look at Saudi and China. All the credit to Korea, but they would have been long gone if not for the referee mistakes froget about the home advantage. That leaves us with Japan who I think are even worse.

I dont think making a comparison with Africa is fair becuz Africa's teams are always the ones who make a world cup surprise and they play to win, not like China coming over to see whats going on.
This would be one of the worst mistakes of FIFA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts