Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Englishman at Inter since Paul Ince or am I forgetting someone in between?

Young arrives for Inter medical

By Football Italia staff

Ashley Young has landed in Milan, where he will undergo his Inter medical and complete the transfer from Manchester United.

The 34-year-old full-back was greeted by reporters at Malpensa Airport and whisked by car to the medical facilities for a battery of tests.

An England international with 39 senior caps and seven goals to his name, Young leaves Manchester United on a six-month contract with option to extend.

He has made 18 competitive appearances for Manchester United this season.

It’s reported Inter hope to have Young in Antonio Conte’s squad in time for this weekend’s Serie A trip to Lecce.

Football Italia Editor Susy Campanale takes you through the best Serie A bets of the week on Eurotips.

Young is one of several signings Inter hope to make this month, as Christian Eriksen’s agent had dinner with CEO Beppe Marotta last night as part of negotiations with Tottenham Hotspur, while Olivier Giroud is waiting for the nod to fly out after an agreement with Chelsea.

---

EPL must have made a huge impression on Conte, lots of signings from there.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stealing some quotes from ManU fans on redcafe to post em here

I’m glad he’s finally off, because he’s a 34 year old squad winger whose been squeezing out a starting career as a makeshift fullback for way too long now, but I don’t have any animosity toward him whatsoever. He’s had a very decent career here, scored some crackers and always seemed to absolutely love it, as well as being a top lad.

Best of luck to him.

Also he apparently has a very respectable 7 England goals, and I don’t remember a single one of them, despite presumably being present for most of them?
The only player left from SAF's era are Jones, De Gea and Smalling. Have I missed anyone?

Truly a season of transition, and I'm excited to see the next generation of United team.

Well done Youngy, good luck in Italy!
Some on here could not wait to see the back of him .But for me he was a great servant for the club and to play in a position which was not native to him for so many years showed his professionalism . Wish him well on his new chapter.
What a life he is having.

Played and won for United, enjoying his retirement days at Inter, possibly winning La Liga.

Gerrard can't even lace his boots!:D
Winning La Liga with Inter ?
Good luck Ash.

Top professional.
La Liga..Seria A.. don't matter!!
He'll be the first player ever to have won La Liga with Inter. He'd be the GOAT
Why not, his crosses from Milan will land in Barcelona, which will help them win the points.
Mixed feelings on this. We could have used him a bit for the rest of the season but more then that he was done at United. Great opportunity for him to have 2 more years of contract at a good club.

Was a great servant to the club and a true professional. Good luck on wining Serie A!
The la liga bit made me laugh :D

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awaiting the vid of Inter's media house.

Will have to include fish&chips or tea surely? Big Ben? I dunno..

The best 2 were those of Nainggolan and Lukaku.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah pretty funny.

·
Administrator
29,705 Posts
Those old pre-7x1 days, when Inter would only sign random brazilian full-backs blindly instead of aged english full-backs.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I like him, really versatile and experienced player. Not the best at any of the positions but there's a chance Conte can get a lot from him as WB. And he's always had a knack for a great goal or two per season.

As always, I hope he fails miserably for you guys, but IMO a smart signing for Inter and a good move for him

·
Administrator
52,356 Posts
This is hardly a smart signing, he has been objectively bad for a long while with Man U. Can only get so much out of an old winger who cant contribute anymore in mid, so becomes a reactionary solution as fullback, until he becomes too old/worn out to play in a role that was not fitting from beginning anyways (wing back is a happy medium betwen wing and fullback, but lets see if he can handle Conte's running/fitness regiment). Couldnt ride on being a veteran leader anymore, when his impact on the pitch detoriated to the degree it has.

Inter needs depth in general, so can be serviceable for a short while and wont be hard to get rid of after. But defenitely would not call this a smart signing, just a random shot at a depth signing.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
IMO will be a starter and do very well. He is better than Biraghi and Asamoah.

·
Administrator
52,356 Posts
Being better then Biraghi is easy as hell to be. Not sure on Adamoah tho, even if he is super average.

·
Registered
40,764 Posts
Why do you underestimate the EPL so much? And when will you realise Serie A stinks?

Marlo will boss you. He'll put Ronnie in his sky rocket.

Rom is putting up numbers not seen by an Africans since Sammy double O. And he's shit

What are your views on Chong? Bet you're all over him, since it's clear you only read about our league.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Being better then Biraghi is easy as hell to be. Not sure on Adamoah tho, even if he is super average.
Not all signings can be players in their prime or promising. Likely the salary is quote high, but it's a shortish contract and a less that 2M transfer fee.

I'm thinking Conte will use him well above all, and that he has the attacking skills to do better than those two. He turns attacking WBs into absolute beasts. The other two are not that attack minded and Asamoah has injury issues often. They have injuries on the right as well, and this guy can cover on both sides. Can't do much better for a cheap, experienced player for a January signing IMO.

·
Administrator
52,356 Posts
That voting is completely recency biasm. There is no way Smalling should be that close to Manolas in voting, just because he been decent of half a season for them. Manolas was a genuine top CB for several years for them.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

YOUNG: "I'M DELIGHTED TO BECOME PART OF THE INTER FAMILY"

The Englishman's first words to Inter TV: "Everything’s in place to do well, we hope to make the fans happy"
17/01/2020

MILAN - "It’s been a great day for me today." Ashley Young couldn’t hide his emotions at the end of his first day with the Nerazzurri.
"It's a fantastic feeling to be here," he said when interviewed by Inter TV. "I'm delighted to become part of the Inter family."
The 34-year-old is the third Englishman to play for Inter following on from Hitchens and Ince: "Paul Ince is a legend. If I could follow in his footsteps that would make me very happy. My message to the fans is that success is coming back to the Club. That’s why I’m here, I want to help the team reach its objectives.
"Everything’s in place to do well. We hope to make the fans happy and win lots of trophies," he concluded.

·
Registered
57,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

ASHLEY YOUNG IS A NEW INTER PLAYER

The English full-back signs for the Nerazzurri from Manchester United on a permanent basis and has put pen to paper on a contract lasting until 30 June 2020 with an option to extend for a further season.
17/01/2020

MILAN – Ashley Young is officially an Inter player. The 34-year-old English defender arrives from Manchester United and has signed a contract lasting until 30 June 2020 with an option to extend for a further season.
“I want to become a professional footballer.” Ashley Young certainly had no need to repeat himself. He was just 16 years old, but readily admitted to his teacher at school that he had no plan B. Instead, his whole life was football ever since he joined the Stevenage Colts aged five, his local football team in the same town where Lewis Hamilton grew up, with both stars attending the same school.
But fast cars weren’t a priority for Ashley: for him it was all about football. Whether that was playing on the street with his brothers until it got dark, or in the living room, using the sofa as a goal. He used to dream of being as great as Ian Wright, the legendary Arsenal centre-forward. When he was ten, he jumped at the chance to train with Watford’s youth academy. Every day, he’d travel 40km there and 40km back, right up until the age 16. This was his first real test as a player and adolescent. It was also his first taste of being a part-time footballer, as he would attend school in the mornings before then training in the afternoon with Watford’s Under-16s and Under-17s. All the while, adults tried to explain to him that he should think of alternatives to football, although Young was determined throughout – a characteristic that has set him apart throughout his career.
This soon led to him making his debut at Watford, sealing promotion to the Premier League before then becoming Aston Villa’s most expensive signing in 2007. He was relentless, whether that be on the wing or in attack. Sir Alex Ferguson soon came calling in 2011 and since his move to the Red Devils, he made 261 appearances and scored 19 goals. His United honours’ list also includes one Premier League (2012/13, Sir Alex’s last league title), one FA Cup, one League Cup, three Community Shields and one Europa League.
As a speedy and skilful winger, he’s good at crossing and can beat a man. However, as he’s matured, so has his game, as he’s become increasingly defensive. An example of this has been his time spent at wing-back in a five-man midfield – a role embraced to such an extent that he was named as the best left-back at the 2018 World Cup.
Young now becomes the third English player to ever play for Inter, following in the footsteps of Gerry Hitchens and Paul Ince. The former played for Inter as a striker from 1961 to 1963, scoring 20 goals in 43 appearances while also winning one Scudetto. As for the Guv’nor, Ince spent two seasons at Inter from 1995 to 1997, making 73 appearances with a goalscoring tally of 13. As for Young’s international career, he’s scored seven goals in 39 matches for the Three Lions.
As a keen campaigner against racism, Young has led from the front for Manchester United – recently wearing the captain’s armband for the past three seasons. However, he’s now ready for a new adventure and on behalf of the entire Nerazzurri family, we’d like to wish our new signing all the very best.
#WelcomeAshley!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts