Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click

Martin O'Neill certainly seems to think so.

For those that watch the Premiership regularly, how good (or great) is this lad?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
He's good, but nowhere near as good as Neill is saying lol

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
He's not that good, but when it comes to wide players in the Premiership he's easily one of the best. IMO he'd start in any of the "big 4's" sides. After Ronaldo and Robinho I'd say he's right there for best attacking wide players in the Premiership.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
He's nowhere near that level, but is a good player. He'd get into most sides outside of the champions league in the big leagues. I guess I'd put him alongside players like Ibagaza and Mancini.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
He's not that good, but when it comes to wide players in the Premiership he's easily one of the best. IMO he'd start in any of the "big 4's" sides. After Ronaldo and Robinho I'd say he's right there for best attacking wide players in the Premiership.
I don't think he's good enough for the top 4 teams to be honest. He's a good player but not really anything special. He doesn't possess game intelligence or vision to be exceptional. For his role as a wide attacker for a top "mid-level" club he is one of the best but the quality and requirements of charactertistics to excel at a top club is what he lacks. He is good for counter attacking teams and for exposing space but not really someone who will open and create problems in close condensed games where the midfield and defence saturate space and require your thinking, vision, technique and application need to be exceptional he would not stand out in IMO.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Good player for a club like Villa and their tactics but a question whether he could be anything more than a filler at a top 4.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I really rate him. Not top 4 material yet, but he's only young, and I can see him getting better and better all the time. I think he'll become one of the top players in the league, personally.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
I don't rate him that highly. He's doing well but he's just one dimensional.
One dimensional? He's got pace, he can shoot, dribble, he can take set pieces, he can cross the ball and he can pass the ball. In fact I was surprised at some of the passing I've seen him do and his touch.

I don't think he's good enough for the top 4 teams to be honest. He's a good player but not really anything special. He doesn't possess game intelligence or vision to be exceptional. For his role as a wide attacker for a top "mid-level" club he is one of the best but the quality and requirements of charactertistics to excel at a top club is what he lacks. He is good for counter attacking teams and for exposing space but not really someone who will open and create problems in close condensed games where the midfield and defence saturate space and require your thinking, vision, technique and application need to be exceptional he would not stand out in IMO.
So you wouldn't take him over Babel or Riera? I know Riera is the sort of player that Benitez goes for, but I think Young brings more and he's a better player. I also think he'd be better than Park Ji Sung, Nani (for now at least), Malouda and Kalou. In fact the only team I don't know that I'd give him the nod in is Arsenal. Of course different tactics and formations with some of those sides.

I agree with you to an extent with what you wrote at the end, but not entirely. I think he has some football sense and he's got some technique too. Also, when I apply that same sort of logic to some players currently in the top 4 sides I don't see any better really.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Babel and Young are on the same level, but obviously Babel never gets a chance to prove himself.
Isn't Babel more of a striker than a winger, though?

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So he's the English version of Capel. Only probably better, I gather.

Interesting.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I rate him pretty high, but still not close to where Ronaldo and Messi are. It's not disrespect to him there aren't many players close to their level when on form. The best thing he has going for him is that the English media aren't hyping him up like they've previously done with promising youngsters.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
i do rate him high too, he has been doing impressive games and prove himself as the 1st and best option for aston on the pitch. he impressed me too much last game vs everton. if he keeps this show, then he will be a great addition for the three lions and capello. he a fast player, can score in every game, passing.. etc

regarding to a dribbles and skills generally i see him still not as messi or ronaldinho or even robinho.. etc

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Rugby.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Great player. Not anywhere near the two you mention in the title but I reckon he can make the step up. Only J.Cole is a slighly better wide player then him as far as English wingers go, should have had alot more caps but for some reason Cap doesnt think so.

I think he could easily make the step up, I know I'd take him ahead of Malouda in a heart beat, Rieira at Liverpool isnt better then him either.

I don't think Aston Villa would sell him thought;

MON knows he has a gem; but otherwise he is an idiot. I rember how he said he would take Carew ahead of Ibra during the European Championship.

·
A true hero
31,428 Posts
He is the best English wide player, and should be starting every game for England with J Cole moving across to the right. Fantastic player, has pace, skill, brilliant crossing, out of this world set piece delivery, vision, really everything you want in a wide player. Such an effective player, too.

Any top 4 club should want him on the basis that Ronaldo is the only wide player who's playing for a top 4 team who's better than him (not considering Robinho a wide player at Citeh).

Actually, on a world level I would only take Ronaldo, Messi (if we're calling him a winger), Ribery, Arshavin and a fit and in form Robben over him. He is that good.

And <3 TGO but same level as Ibagaza and Mancini = major lols.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts