Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS Roma are ready to try and sign Brazilian striker Mario Jardel form Sporting Lisbon.

Jardel has talked up a move to Valencia in the summer but Roma are prepared to beat the Spanish champion's offer for the player who hit 34 goals last season for the Portuguese double-winners.

The 28 year has also top-scored with Galatasary and FC Porto and admits he is considering his future:

"I have a release clause and I may leave. We will see. I cannot say anything at the moment and will only talk when I have a serious offer.

"I can't deny that there has been contact with other clubs. I would like to go on vacation with all this sorted out and a lot can happen before Thursday."

·
Registered
188 Posts
The thing with Jardel is that he is not proven in Italy. What if he bombs in Serie A? I'd rather see someone like Massimo Maccarone or Filippo Maniero instead in Roma.

·
Registered
197 Posts
In every place that Jardel played,he was the top scorer!Ithink he can do it in Rome too!FORÇA SUPER MARIO!!!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
That wouldn't be too bad a buy. He is ripping it up in Portugal and won the title with Sporting. I say go for it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jardel being signed...........means 1 of the big guns will leave.............batigol,montella or delvecchio maybe 2 of em.......coz roma r after cisse 2 !!delvecchi linked with inter and montella with lazio,milan and real madrid!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Roma chase Jardel

Brazilian striker Mario Jardel is being targetted by Roma.
The prolific forward, who has enjoyed successful stints in Turkey and Portugal, was surprisingly left out of the Brazilian squad for the World Cup finals.

Jardel is considered a suitable replacement for Argentine veteran Gabriel Batistuta who may leave Roma - destination England - according to reports out of Italy.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think we better get someone that plays in Italy, i have a feeling that he would bomb in serie a.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
If you look on how he scores his goals you see that 90 % of the goals he scores are from crosses. The other 10 % is penalties.
In sporting, the team is formed around Jardel. He doesn't create anything on his own, or take a big part in the game when the ball isn't in the opposite penaltybox.

If you look on how attackers in Italian teams play, they have much more defensive duties then in other leagues. This is the big reason why many attackers (Savo, Claudio, Kovacevic etc.) fail in Itay. They have a hard time getting into their new role as "defenders" as they like to call it.

I have a hard time seeing Jardel succed in Italy, and especially in a team like Roma, since they are so defensive.
And most of their attacks comes from behind (Totti) instead of from the sides as Jardel is used too.
There isn't a better penaltybox finisher then Jardel and he can smell where the ball will land before the cross is made.
But I can't see him working in a team where he'll have to change everything in his playingstyle.
He'll have to go deep to meet the ball, create space and time for his teammates (normally it's the opposite) and also meet the nice defenders in Serie A, who are much tougher then the portoguese ditos.
In spain he would probably work, but not in Italy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In other words, Jardel is what is known as a cherry picker and that means he would not work in a defensive team like Roma.

·
International
6,519 Posts
You guys just don't think a lot now do you ? enola wrote the truth and the truth only. 90% goals from Jardel come from crosses, and 60% of his goals are headers. The other 30% are penalties, and he rarely scores from a chance with his foot other than tap in.

Defenders in Italy are strong in air, and there is little amount of goals scored from crosses and converted with head. I am pretty sure Jardel would fail in Italy. I think the best choice for a striker at Roma is a segunda striker, someone who would fit with Montella, someone like Lopez at Lazio. He has to pass the ball to a finisher, and create the chances for him.

·
Registered
309 Posts
When Roma will play home with teams like Torino or Atalanta with 8 or 9 player on defence JARDEL WILL BE JUST PERFECT!
This year Roma couldn't score easy goals at Olimpico with "small" teams(Udineze,Brescia,Torino,Venezia)and with Juve,Inter and Milan scored only one .Maybe he isn't the best attacker as a starter(for a team like Roma),but coming from the bence when Roma want a goal is the best choise!

Forza Roma!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
No please, no more brazilians...

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Though mario Jardel is a good player, I don't see him fitting into Roma. Roma's main supplier is Totti i.e. from the center. Jardel scores goals mostly from headers from crosses. I understand u have a great Cafu to that job. but is it enough?

for example, he could fit in a team as Chievo.

I respect Don Fabio a lot and believe in his capabilities in picking the apt players for his game. I don't see Jardel coming to Roma, while Capello is there.;)

Ciao

·
International
6,519 Posts
PAOK AND ROMA said:
Maybe he isn't the best attacker as a starter(for a team like Roma),but coming from the bence when Roma want a goal is the best choise!
...yeah, play Delvecciao instead :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts