Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Spaletti took over, we have seen three different sides of Roma:

The good: A whooping 10 or 11 consecutive wins, some magical and excellent football, and a team that is joyful to watch.

The bad: The start of Spaletti, a series of silly results like the one yesterday.

The ugly: Man UTD 7-1, inter 4-1, inter 4-3, etc

As much I like Roma to win seriea this season, I just can't be sure what side they'll show up in the remaining games.

How do you rationally explain this? I don't think it is lack of quality players for sure.

Discuss :angel:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Have some Respect for Cagliari ....

Didnt you know that Relegation Battlers are super good during these time of the season.... you dont ! Just following tables and talk shows arent good enough.

and respect Roma too.. even if you stopped Believing in your team, (which costs nothing) :googly:

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Our players flib a coin before every game and based on it decide which side they will show.

On a serious note, the reason of that extreme inconsistency is Spalletti's weird tactic that has never been seen in football before of 4-2-3-1 with no real striker. There is a pseudo-striker (Totti) who acts as holding AM, and an attacking DM (Perrotta) with some defensive duties but mostly forward runs coming from the back. It is highly demanding tactic both physically and mentally. It requires specific type of players and it requires them being in top shape every game, wich is obviously impossible. It depends on many factors some of which are related to how the opposite team is playing.

If all these factors are present it is joy to the eyes. If not, then it is simply awful.The sad thing is, we have no alternative when things go bad. In almost 3 years we have fielded the same damn tactic over and over again in every single game, which I believe is a world-record. Every coach we play against knows every move for us by heart.

That's why I believe we will never win anything.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Yes, it's the tactics fault alright. ;) You never give up. ;)

Don't you remember how we played before Spalletti came? We were just as inconsistent under Capello.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Yes, he only had Montella, Totti and Cassano as his options upfront apart from Carew, poor guy, how did we not get relegated is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2003-4 was a good season for Roma however. I remember Capello declaring that he has the perfect squad, and that he can play 4-4-2, 4-3-3, and 3-4-3.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I just hope in both games v Man U we turn up. I cant see us winning Serie A because we just lack the mentality to kill the smaller teams.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Capello begged for a decent striker for 3 years and ended up with Carew. Gives you a hint how competetive squad he had at that time.

I never give up because I am right.
Capello signed Cassano and Batistuta FFS. Spalletti has asked for a striker but we haven't had the funds to purchase one yet, besides Vucinic.

Your stupidity and ignorance has no bounds.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Capello asked for 3 players to deliver a scudetto for a medicore mid-table Roma and delivered his promise after a f**king 20 years without a title.

Then he asked for one of Cannavaro, Zlatan, Buffon, Davids or C.Zanetti if we want another scudetto and all he got was sh*t. We spent the last 3 seasons with him without signing a single player, and started selling our team superstars.

Your stupidity and ignorance has no bounds.
I hope you grow up and learn how to disagree with someone without using personal insults. Your lack of respect has been getting out of control lately.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
we havent had depth to the squad for a long time, now we have some and are still fighting in all 3 fronts ... which is going to drain us to death. Marcotti said today that we can win the scudetto if we leave the CL... I am a dreamer myself

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Damn, fiery arguements between Roma fans about Roma in World Football....

Priceless. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Capello asked for 3 players to deliver a scudetto for a medicore mid-table Roma and delivered his promise after a f**king 20 years without a title.

Then he asked for one of Cannavaro, Zlatan, Buffon, Davids or C.Zanetti if we want another scudetto and all he got was sh*t. We spent the last 3 seasons with him without signing a single player, and started selling our team superstars.

I hope you grow up and learn how to disagree with someone without using personal insults. Your lack of respect has been getting out of control lately.
Those weren't exactly the most realistic targets, were they? :googly:

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Wrong again as usual. Capello got Cassano, the best talent at Italy a time. He got Panucci, one of his favourite players. he got Chivu in the summer in 2003. During the whole of Capello's period in Roma we didn't sell any of the players and spend way more money on transfers and salaries than in any other period in Roma's history. We started selling when Capello left.

Anyway, the point is we've been inconsistent since forever, for as long as I can remember, and according to people who's been fans for much longer, even the famous Roma team of 1980s was inconsistent. So it's somewhat ridiculous to explain everything with just the formation we play now.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Why the feck are you talking about Capello anyway? :D

Let's face it, virtually every team not used to fighting for titles tends to choke a lot whenever it finds itself in title-deciding matches. I remember us having a team that probably bankrupted Cragnotti's corporation (Vieri, Salas, Boksic, Mancini, etc), yet losing a scudetto to a Milan team with players like Gulielminpietro. It's a mental issue, not a tactical one for fu ck's sake. Think Inter in 2002. ;) And that's even a team with way more glorious history than Roma. Blackburn in 1995 choked in the last round only to be gifted a title by West Ham. The examples are endless and they tell me tactics have very little if anything to do with this issue.

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
Indeed, Deportivo have choked a couple la ligas in last rounds, the famous Sociedad one of years ago when they lost it at the very end against Real.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I agree with AR, its as if the club's and some players within it have a mental block at times, that said, I believe we can still win Serie A after a day of thought. I dont think we will win it, but we can... and as I said after the last round... when there is hope, there must be belief. Not only retards like GO12 who seemingly cant wait to trash talk the players he dislikes and Spalletti.

·
Premium Member
24,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Real Madrid chocked twice against Tenerife.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts