Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS Roma rode the waves of calcio's rough seas in 2003, only to rise above the whitewater and recover their serene beauty.
This past year has been tumultuous for us. We ended 2003 as a fractured and unsettled squad. Sensi argued with Italian officials and refs, made accusations that cost us on the field. A pile of conspiracy theories, rotten refs, just plain bad play, bad coaching, bad defense, no depth, all this led to a bad feeling among fans, players and the press. But we entered Europe's UEFA Cup by making the Coppa Italia final. Incidentally, we lost that final to MIlan, but progressed because Milan made the CL. In all, we ended with a lowly 49 points. We came in 8th place, which was better than 12th like 1996 (?), but still very difficult for our high wages and great players.
It was the year we bade farewell to two great Brasilians that gave their hearts and souls to our club: Aldair & Cafu. :star: We took a chance and replaced one of them with another Brasilian, a young one that warmed the bench at lowly Venezia. And that man, Mancini, has payed off as much as most.
Mancini was one of four big signings Sensi promised in the off-season and ended up delivering. We acquired Chivu from Ajax Amsterdam, the best defender on the market and a terrific addition to the club. We added Carew from Valencia. D'Agostino and Lupatelli returned.
It was our summer of discontent. Empty from the previous year and having to deal with major financial problems that we still don't know the true seriousness of, the summer seemed to go on forever, each day bringing with it a new nightmare story or scenario from the press.
Then we took the field in Sept. and all the negativity swung like a pendulum to pure positive. After Christmas, we've earned 36 points; compared to 49 ALL off last season. We're in first place alone. We've allowed 4 goals in 14 Serie A matches. We're progressing in the UEFA Cup and Coppa Italia. Our players just now received their Sept. wages, yet most of them have fought harder and more noble than ever. Capello has returned to his very best. Did you know that over the last 12 Serie A seasons, Capello and Lippi have won 10 of those scudettos (5 apiece). He's great again this season.
Totti looks great; Chivu & Samuel worked out perfect; Zebina outplayed even himself; we've stayed away from injuries; Sensi's has kept his mouth shut; Cassano is developing beyond my expectations; Peli is setting records.
In calcio, when you suffer, there are usually rewards waiting for you on the other side (if you stick by your club's side). I like to think we are reaping the rewards of all our struggles and hard work. We just have to maintain things. What are your favorite memories of the year? :star:
FORZA ROMA, THE HEART OF ITALIA
:star:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Nice one Primo. Not much to add only that my favourite memories have gotta be making a mockery of Juve on the market in the summer and Mancini's sublime goal against lazio. I think 36 points is a record in the history of the Serie A for this stage. We are on the right path all we need to do now is keep walking.

FORZA ROMA:proud:

·
Registered
59,336 Posts
Great piece of writing, Primo. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
My fave memories from 2003:

1. The 3-0 destruction of Spanish Champions Valencia, in their stadium! Totti scoring 2 goals with an assist to show the Spanish media how truly great he is.

2. Knocking out the dreaded laziale in the Coppa Italia semifinals.

3. The comeback draw at the San Siro with Inter. Down 3-1 with 10 minutes remaining, and having an own goal and a strike by Montella to escape with a draw was memorable.

4. The 2-2 draw at Juventus. Down 2-1 in the second half, Roma dominated the Italian Champions for 45 minutes and Jonathan Zebina's first ever Serie A goal gave Roma an important point from the Stadio Delle Alpi.

5. The 2-0 win over the lazio merda. Mancini's brilliant back heeled goal that has put him in the hearts of all Roma tifosi for eternity!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
great review Primo

my highlights are the defender transfer saga

first we had Legro then we didnt
the we had Lucio but he pulled out at the last minute

Then we had Chivu, but Ajax pulled out, but with hardly any time remaining we manage to pull off a loan deal, and ultimately a month or so later, his signature!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Good post Primo...btw....I cant say much about Roma now...they are absolutely strong in Every Department.......

Hey Primo..arent you suppose to do a Thread for all the Classic Post for Roma??

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
Narentino: The Hall of Fame thread lived a short life. ;) It was cool for a while tho'. :star:

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Primo said:
Thanks guys.
Narentino: The Hall of Fame thread lived a short life. ;) It was cool for a while tho'. :star:
Bring it back to life bro!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts