Xtratime Community banner

1061 - 1080 of 1118 Posts

·
G☆☆ner Ѧ ♥
1,139 Posts
''Things are gonna change now! Thanks to our new commercial deals''

Sorry to rant but how many of you actually believe this?

Firstly, that money will got into the squad? We've had money, we have over a hundred million tucked away, that's a whole lotta gervinho's that were never bought

As for getting giddy over our commercial deals...Puma 30 mill a year? Sounds good, even though Puma sucks

But the emirates deal? Awful. 30m is not good considering we have stadium naming rights as well. Man U is getting 45m just for the main shirt. They are getting an extra 10m ( I think) for training shirts from DHL. That makes its 55m – almost double amount without stadium naming rights, which by the way is like a 15 year contract! By which time our rivals will be able to get better deals and we’re stuck with them again exactly like our last deal with Emirates & Nike! So much for ''business model''

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
A very very good article extracted from the book written by my idol :star: Dennis Bergkamp :star:....

Gonna buy the book ! :)

===========================

What motivates you, Dennis? "I think about this a lot, especially now I'm a coach. You see players who have a hunger to succeed because they had a difficult childhood. You know, people often say: 'You have to be down in the gutter to understand what it means in life.' You're always thinking about which of the young players has the drive to have a great career. As a coach you're looking for that hunger. I know I had that drive."

You weren't in the gutter. "No, no, not at all. I had a very secure, happy childhood. We could just about manage. Maybe you could say: 'Then money is my drive.' But it isn't."

Is it just passion? Is it something within yourself? You're very shy and modest but deep down inside you want to be the best in the world and that's your goal, your aim … "That's me. Sometimes you hear of people having drive because their parents divorced. My parents weren't divorced. Perhaps it was significant that we didn't have much money when I was a child. It doesn't explain my drive but maybe it formed me in some way. Perhaps it made me feel that, if you have a chance, you go for it and keep going for it."

What do you look for in the youngsters you coach now? "Well, you see straightaway who has drive. But it can come from different things. Let's say this kid wants to be a millionaire when he's 18. That's drive. Is it bad? 'By 28 I want to have three sports cars and the only way to get them is to win trophies and play good football.' If that's his conclusion, maybe it's OK. But if he thinks: 'I'm making one million each year now and if I play for five years I've got five million and that's it, I can retire,' that's different. Or: 'I'll stay in the reserves and just keep training as long as I can put gas in my Lamborghini.' I'm not sure that's drive at all. It's not a passion from the soul. And that's what you're looking for: the real passion that comes from inside."

And, in the end, perhaps the striving to improve becomes almost spiritual. Patrick Vieira says that with you it is both artistic and spiritual. "Well, you set yourself goals, targets. And once you've got there you want to move on and go further. You keep raising the bar and therefore it's never good enough. You want perfection. It's never good enough but it's within your reach. You climb one mountain and see the higher one. And I want to do it, I want to do that. But I like what you say that it's a passion – something within the soul, isn't it? It's deeper. Whereas ambition, for money or whatever, is more calculating. It can be satisfied. But passion is … no … you keep … you want to grab it. You do the hard thing, always go for the difficult thing, and then you have to go for the next thing."

Arsène Wenger has an interesting view about this. He says: "It is a spiritual thing. I am convinced of that. I believe you have two kinds of players who play football. Those who want to serve football like you serve God, and they put football so high that everything that is not close to what football should be is a little bit non-acceptable. And then you have those who use football to serve their ego. And sometimes the ego can get in the way of the game, because their interest comes before the interest of the game.

"Sometimes the big ego is linked with what we call strong personalities, charisma. But most of the time what people call charisma is just big ego. I believe that Dennis was one of those who had such a high idea of the game and such a respect for the game that he wanted that to be above everything. I believe that the real great players are guided by how football should be played and not by how football should serve them. If it becomes spiritual, it's endless and you're always driven to going higher and getting closer to what you think football should be."

Then Wenger gives the example of a player who knows he ought to pass but takes a massive gamble and scores. "If he really loves the game he'll go home and worry about it. He'll know he really should have passed to set up an easy chance for someone else. But he was selfish and got lucky. If he doesn't care about the game he'll go home and think: 'That was great – I'll do the same next time.'"

And he says that's the difference. "That's why you have to teach the kids to respect the game and treat the game a little bit like a religion, that is above you, where you want to serve the game."

Would you talk about this sort of stuff with Arsène? "I remember when Arsène talked about players, sometimes he'd say: 'Oh no, he doesn't love the game …' This is quite a big statement from him. But I know exactly what he means. There are some players who, as soon as the whistle went at the end of training … boom! … They went inside, got changed, then straight in the car and away.

But the real liefhebbers (the literal translation is "love-havers", the guys who really have love for the game) stayed behind to practise. And not only players. David Dein and Massimo Moratti are people who really love the game too. At Arsenal it was always the same players, eight or nine, who stayed behind to work after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player."

Freddie Ljungberg would stay? "Well, yeah. And Thierry was always there. Robert Pirés would stay. Others would stay and go to the gym, which is working as well."

And you competed with each other? 'That as well. It's part of being a successful team. But I like what you said about pushing each other, challenging each other, in training as well."

When you arrived at Arsenal you told everyone: 'Don't give me these soppy little passes, give me fast, hard balls because I can deal with anything that comes at me and playing faster is playing better.' By the time Pires and Ljungberg are in the team, a few years later, it's moved on a long way, it's at a much higher level. "Yes, always give me a strong pass because I want to challenge myself by controlling a difficult ball. You have to keep pushing and testing each other. Like you test your pace and strength against Sol Campbell. He's your team‑mate but in training you're against him. If you can beat Sol, who can't you beat in the Premier League? And if he can stop me or he can stop Thierry Henry, who can't he stop in the Premier League? That's the challenge: always trying to improve yourself. But it can only work when everyone is giving 100%. Like having goalies who try in training.

At Inter they didn't try and it was so frustrating. But Jens Lehmann? David Seaman? Fantastic! Jens couldn't stand to have a single shot go past him. And if I tried to lob David Seaman … woaah! If it worked, it was a fantastic goal and he was like: "Great, well done." But if it didn't work out, he got hold of the ball and smashed it two hundred yards away! He'd just kick it away and say "Get that!" and I'd have to go and get it. David is a nice soft guy – but not when he plays. That was his drive: "You're not going to fool me! Now get that ball!" I loved that attitude."

There seems to be a critical mass. You have to get a certain number of people doing this, all with their different motivations and talents. Get the right number of the right kind of people together and somehow it works.

"It starts somewhere. Maybe, as the players say, it started with me because I was like that. I wanted to give everything and when training was finished I would go on and I would keep practising and going and going … and suddenly there's goalkeepers staying on as well, saying: 'Wait a minute, I'm going to have some of that.' And then others would stay behind, too."

(c) 2013 by Dennis Bergkamp. Extracted from STILLNESS AND SPEED by Dennis Bergkamp to be published by Simon & Schuster UK Ltd at £20 on Thursday

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
compare last seasons results to this years so far

last year

beat sunderland away ---- same this year
west brom away beat them------drawed this year
stoke at home won-------won this year
tottenham home won-----won this year
swansea away won----won this year
fulham away won-----won this year
aston villa home won----lost this year

actually dropped 2 results this year compared to last year

i get ahead of myself sometimes but it is too early. and if there is one discouraging sign its definiely this. we cant lose points like this against these teams...

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
West Brom are better than what they were last year.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
compare last seasons results to this years so far

last year

beat sunderland away ---- same this year
west brom away beat them------drawed this year
stoke at home won-------won this year
tottenham home won-----won this year
swansea away won----won this year
fulham away won-----won this year
aston villa home won----lost this year

actually dropped 2 results this year compared to last year

i get ahead of myself sometimes but it is too early. and if there is one discouraging sign its definiely this. we cant lose points like this against these teams...
Arsenal weren't top of the league October 2012, and that is all that matters to me.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I would rather be top come end of the season.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
a point at WBA is a good result if only we didnt lose to Villa in rd1 it would have been a perfect start to the season..

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Being top of the league means nothing right now. Apart from Spurs (who aren't even deemed as title contenders), who have we faced where we haven't been the clear favourite? There are still twelve teams who we have not faced and they include the top three from last season.

Since we were one goal down against WBA getting a draw is good, but consider the result in isolation it's two points dropped against a team that will be happy if they just stay up.

If we are top after the X-Mas fixtures then we can start believing but it is way too early to get excited yet.

·
Registered
40,564 Posts
For Zhuge. Just read an interview with Bergkamp. He stated he wants to stay on at Ajax a few more years before he comes back to Arsenal. He doesn't have the ambition to be a manager but prefers a staff role instead and finally he's spoken to Bould (already there I believe), Vieira, Henry and Adams about doing the same thing.

Could be quite the ol' boys club in a few years. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,816 Posts

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/we-cant-match-financial-power-of-manchester-city-and-chelsea--arsenal-commercial-chief-tom-fox-9063316.html

And there was me thinking the Ozil signing was the beginning of getting some more big signings in the not too distant future :rolleyes:

Unfortunately we heard from Fox yesterday some of the shit that had been hoped had been put away.

Things like can't compete at the top end.

Talking about the fvcking global economy.

Make superstars not buy them.

Self-sustaining.

All the shit that we had to hear over past years from Wenger and Gazidis.

What is going on? We were told and informed that the club were now making money, serious money, money that would be available for signings that would excite according to Gazidis last summer. So it's Ozil and that's it is it? Did it fvcking kill Wenger to buy a ready made star footballer with serious money?

Now it's back to the old speel from previous years.

I can't believe how any Arsenal fans fall for this. This is done purely again for the suits to fill their pockets. They would rather turn a very big profit than see Arsenal get into the elite level. Greedy bastards. And many deluded Arsenal fans go along with it seeing it as noble. What a fvcking joke. They are being taken for a ride and can't see the shit for the trees.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
I suppose this was put out to dampen any expectations of Arsenal fans to see a big name, big money signing this coming summer.

And they revert back to type because they are sitting pretty atm at the top of the table and don't seem to have any worries now of a top 4 place. That's all it's about with these people. Not seriously wanting to win the big trophies, but hoping that Wenger can pull a rabbit out of the hat competing against those nasty mega rich clubs while of course lining their own pockets.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
We shouldn't be surprised Maturin, its still Wenger and the same board. I thought the Ozil signing was just a one-off, to kill the pressure on Wenger so there wouldn't be much of an uproar when he signed his new contract. These are businessmen we are dealing with afterall, strategic snakes.

However, nobody is asking us to match the financial power of Man City or Chelsea fs. Where are they getting this shite from. All our fans ask is to spend well and in relation to our revenue, nothing over the top. We spend like a ****ing midtable club. And even a midtable club wouldn't be caught dead with just 1 fit, dependable striker.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Exactly.

I do not know of a club that will not spend resources if they are available to them to improve the squad. Arsenal have those resources now. Ok if the team were winning continuously and winning trophies every other year then there is the case not to invest too heavily. But this isn't the case with Arsenal. Why shouldn't the fans demand that any money that is available for transfers be invested in the squad. Instead we have silly fans that go along with this crap and see it as a fight between good and evil. How pathetic. Fans are being duped. Board must be laughing their heads off at the silly fans.

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Relax guys. Iv read the article nowhere does he say we won't spend money. Our budget should be realistically about £50-£70M. Man City and Chelsea could spend £100-150M easily, unless FFP becomes effective.

Fox was just stating the truth. Nowhere did he say we won't spend £50M in a summer. I expect Draxler coming in for BIG money this summer. £30M plus.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
We don't want to hear it anymore.

He clearly states unable to compete at the top end, sustainability, make superstars not buy them and even does the old Wenger quote about talking about the global economy.

What's all this crap about fighting against nation states? Such a dramatic statement. This club and who run it need to stop whinging. It's depressing to hear and it's defeatist talk all the time. Instead buckle down, spend and put into the squad what is available (don't sit on large transfer kitty when you haven't been a successful club, show more will to improve) and you can acquire a team that can win things.

Fox should only have talked about Arsenal, not bring Man City and Chelsea into discussion yet again.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Read the tweets from Arsenal fan ben dean and weep.

Not the most recent ones where he is having a go at a Daily Mirror journo, these journos are fair game to have a go at but look at his earlier ones.

Such as:

"football is dying as it has been wrecked by unsustainable spending bankrolled by uber-elite investors"

"City and Chelsea have net spends of over 1/2 a billion pounds in recent years"

"no other clubs can compete unless they wish to become bankrupt"

"football is becoming more and more boring, as it is more and more predictable, based on financial outlay"

How can Arsenal ever get to winning the big trophies again with this mindset. Far too many Arsenal fans have these views.

Idiots like ben dean are giving the money men at Arsenal an easy ride. Idiots like ben dean are the reason the club sit on stacks of unspent transfer money. Idiots like ben dean are the reason Wenger can year after year fail to build a proper squad.

Idiot = ben dean.

He talks as if financial investment in squads and the amount relating to success is a new thing. Idiot.

1061 - 1080 of 1118 Posts