Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article pretty much sums up Mr. Pippoman.

============================

Italy fuelled by 'SuperPippo' power

By AFP, 2000-06-26

Filippo Inzaghi has a mixed time in Euro 2000 but he is still Dino Zoff's preferred key striker.
BRUSSELS, June 26 (AFP) - Love him or loathe him, Filippo Inzaghi is the key figure in an Italian attack which has taken Dino Zoff's men all the way to a place in the semi-finals at Euro 2000.

The tournament has probably seen the best and the worst of Juventus' lanky centre-forward, who was widely accused of diving when he earned - and then converted - the penalty winner against Turkey.

Inzaghi has a reputation in the Serie A as being tumble-prone and even he admitted after the Turkey match, "It was the kind of penalty that a referee could have given - but might not have done."

However, Inzaghi's other speciality is the predator's sense of being in the right place at the right time, and it is no coincidence that he is a self-confessed admirer of Gary Lineker.

The man from Piacenza, dubbed "SuperPippo" by his fans, has poached an average of 25 goals in each of his three seasons for Juventus between league and Cup duty, and was the Serie A's top scorer in 1996-97 for lowly Atalanta.

Curiously, for one of the most prolific strikers in the world's toughest league, Inzaghi can't shoot the ball from any distance, he can't dribble and his heading ability could be generously described as limited.

However, he can do two things better than anyone else in Italian football - the blind side run to the edge of the six-yard box, where he scores most of his goals, and jumping the off-side trap by one centimetre.

Inzaghi offered a rare insight into his game as he prepared for Juventus' Champions League semi-final first leg against Manchester United in 1999.

Asked about his fondness for living on the wafer-thin line between on - and off - side, he said, "It's true, my presence keeps the linesmen extremely busy for the whole 90 minutes. But that's the way I play."

"I'm always at the very edge of the off-side line waiting for a defender to make a mistake, to lose me for a split-second or to stay one step behind his teammates and keep me on-side."

"For me, the important thing is not to get demoralised," he said. "I might be caught off-side 10 times in a match. But in the end, something almost always goes my way. The thing is to wait for it and believe it will happen."

That belief is also shared here by Zoff, who has stuck by his number 9 despite a mixed time at Euro 2000.

Inzaghi could easily have scored a hat-trick in open play against Turkey but fluffed every chance that came his way.

It was little different in the 2-0 over Belgium with the 26-year-old missing two clear chances - offset though by working the one-two which enabled Stefano Fiore to hammer Italy's second past Filip de Wilde.

Zoff stuck by his man and although the Italy coach never discusses team tactics, he has evidently told Inzaghi to keep just on-side and instructed the midfielders to keep trying the long ball forward for him.

AC Milan's Demetrio Albertini managed it three times against Romania, with an encouraging result - one goal, one shot deflected onto the post by the goalkeeper and one shot rifled narrowly wide.

Inzaghi had waited a year to score for the national side in open play and Zoff admitted on Sunday, "I hope the goal helps him to move forward."

Hours earlier, Inzaghi had been basking in the glory of victory and trying to win over the hearts of Italians even further, deflecting his personal success onto the team, saying: "The important thing is that Italy won... the dream continues."

Inzaghi's public image certainly needed a lift.

Just four months earlier, he was castigated in the national press for having selfishly converted scoring chances that he could have passed onto struggling teammate Alessandro Del Piero, who hadn't scored in open play since October 1998.

"Inzaghi is the most opportunistic and egotistical goal poacher in the league," said the Corriere dello Sport, while the Gazzetta dello Sport headlined: "But Ale needed a hand, to help him out of his goal nightmare."

Inzaghi may not be everybody's favourite footballer. But at Euro 2000, he has shown what's he capable of doing - and it's taken Italy into the semi-finals.

All rights reserved. © 2000 Agence France-Presse.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Filippo Inzaghi finally scored the long awaited goal that he has been expecting since he hit two back in March – and what a relief it was.

“This goal means so much to me - I feel alive and full of enthusiasm. When I found myself face to face with the Romanian goalkeeper I just tried hard to stay calm,” he explained.

“The goal was important because it gave the entire team confidence at a time when we really needed it. Now I just want to score more and Italy’s way of playing suits me perfectly.”

As to his future with Juventus, Inzaghi simply doesn’t want to think about it.

“At moment all I want to think about are the European Championships and the semi-final in Amsterdam. We’ll talk about my future with Juventus some other time.”

M

·
0 Posts
I still don't rate him very highly. That goal was so easy that even inzaghi couldn't miss it, and a goal that a SerieC player could score.

I hope he scores a couple more easy goals just for the fact his price would increase, and be demanded by other clubs.

Forza Juve

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
i would rather get litmanen
your inzaghi is a real huge loser if he was getting sold for a penny i would not buy him

do you know what sport he should play in gymastics he is good at jumping like a monkey

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yeah, like Inter isn't a team full of monkeys!!!:D Please, get lost and don't come back before Inter has won "lo zoo-detto"!:D

·
Registered
374 Posts
ZOO-DETTO!!! :D
That's the best one I've heard in a while! Great work, Lazia! :D

It seems that Pippo is turning into Italy's Beckham. Even when he does good he gets bashed! Sheesh...

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is taken from italian-soccer.

Vieri "No one feels goal like Pippo!"

In an interview released on Tuesday to 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' Christian Vieri confirms his great respect and friendship for Filippo Inzaghi.

"To criticise Inzaghi, just to think to do that, because he missed some goals, it's totally absurd! More, it's a shame! It means to blame one of the best forwards world wide!"

"And Zoff was really great to never miss the trust in Pippo! But I never had doubt about that, a coach finds always a reason to stay near to the strikers who solve the match by themselves! And great were others Azzurri as well. This is a great group, able to not suffer pressure and to protect one of the team if it needs!" Vieri explained and added "Pippo showed his value in all the seasons he played, he always left a mark in each championship!".

"Inzaghi has a special power, and I never see the same elsewhere: usually a striker looks for the ball and run toward it. With Inzaghi it's different, it seems it is the ball to look for him! He born with this skill, to score is his job and even if he plays a bad match, he could always score in each moment!".

Vieri bet Inzaghi could be the top scorer of Euro2000, but Patrick Kluivert is far now. After the three goals scored to Yugoslavia the Dutch leads 5-2. But who is the best one in Vieri's view "Well they are different, but I can say this: no one feels the goals like Inzaghi, Pippo is the best in that. Even more than Kluivert who is a great striker for sure. But in the box, there is not competition, Pippo is the best one! And when he scores, I am happy like if I had scored!"

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's important not to forget Inzaghi's strengths despite his weaknesses. He has excellent vision of where the ball is going to be and that's why he scores scores of goals. People may think he's

1. A Loser
2. A Diver
3. An A$shole
4. Selfish

Don't forget what he has done for Juve, however much you may hate his guts.

:)

bye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts