Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Arsenal players in the World Cup.

Well with the World Cup only days away, I thought I would set up this thread where we can talk about how the Arsenal players perform in the biggest football competition in the world and make updates on their progress with their International teams.

Here are the players;

Cameroon- Lauren

England-- Cole, Seaman, Keown and Campbell

France-- Henry, Wiltord and Vieira

Japan-- Inamoto

Nigeria-- Kanu

Sweden-- Freddie Ljungberg

I would also like to congratulate Patrick Vieira who has set a new record for France over the weekend when he made his 36th consecutive international appearance.
The amazing statistic proves how influential our midfielder will be for France at the World Cup Finals.

I was also wondering, Gareth or Wakky, if this thread could be made sticky once the competition has started.?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only worry I have with Arsenal having so many players in this years World Cup is the effect on them when they return next season. I'm thinking back to the last time we won the league in 1998, we started the following season very slowly due to tired legs and fatigue. Hopefully history won't repeat itself.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Freddie in a training ground bust up!!

Arsenal midfielder Fredrik Ljungberg and Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg tried to hurt each other physically after a poorly timed tackle by Mellberg on todays Swedish training.

The Swedish World Cup squad had been training for over an hour when the incident occured.

Swedish FA spokesman Mats Engqvist said: "We are not used to this, but it is close to the World Cup and they are getting competitive. I am sure that our national coaches will sort this out."

See the Bust up here
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/real/ram/0,3256,m0sp020523training,00.ram

What was Melbeg thinking?
He could have put Sweden's best player out of the World Cup with that type of challenge and Freddie had every right to fight back.
It looks to me Freddie won!

:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
It now appears Roy Keane is on his way home from the World Cup after slagging off the teams tactics

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's right, Roy Keane has been sent because he was causing too many problems.
He complained about the facilities, the players and the coaches so I think McCarthy was right to send Keane home.
Keane may be Ireland's best player and most influential player, but if I was **** McCarthay I would have sent Keane home, because he feels he is superior to everyone and he is special but with Ireland it has never been about one player Ireland play with a team and it is that collective spirit that has brought them so far, so if a plyer is disrubting that spirit he has to go!
Great shame for Ireland and I bet Keane lives to regret this, Stupid Tosser!:mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel sorry for the Irish fans who have spent thousands of pounds to get over to watch their side, maybe saving up for years. Only for this little whinging cry baby to through his toys out of the pram at the slightest thing and run off home to his mum. Ireland will be better off without him

Good luck to the rest of the Irish team who feel privialaged to play for their country in the best and biggest football tournament in the world

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Does anyone think an Arsenal player will win the WC this time?

I still think France can do it, but Brazil are my dark horses - I'm backing Ronaldo for the Golden Boot.

GoonerMC, I've made the thread sticky so it'll be there for the duration of the tournament.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think it`s great news that Roy Keane has been sent home, I will now really support Irland, It would be so great if they could make a great tournament and Keane would be seen as a poor little loser :D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GarethUK said:
Does anyone think an Arsenal player will win the WC this time?

I still think France can do it, but Brazil are my dark horses - I'm backing Ronaldo for the Golden Boot.

GoonerMC, I've made the thread sticky so it'll be there for the duration of the tournament.
Cheers Gareth! :D

I was thinking Ronaldo as well for the golden boot. He seems to have come good at the right time.
But I wil be different and say Trezeguet to win the Golden boot.
I think France will win the World Cup, but Cameroon are my suprising Darkhorses. Don't ask, I just have a funny feeling about them.I mean they have won the Olympics, the African Nations Cup and I have a weird feeling the world Cup is next.

I will be supporting all the Arsenal players and I hope they all do well and more importantly don't get injured.
I wil mainly be supporting England and Ireland. I just hope Ireland can prove Keane isn't the only good Irish player, and that they can manage without him.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i think freddie had the right to fight back. i knew i would of hehehe.....

keane? oh wells i guess. i dont know what happened there. but gonner said he got sent home cose he was complainging? then he deserves it. its a honour to play at WC anyway, shut your mouth and play ball.

out of all the arsenal players. i think the most with the chances is france. england, i just dont think they can do it with the injuries. sweden, never is a contender for the winners. cameroon, get close but not the final. nigeria, hard group along with sweden and england. japan, no.

i hope sweden, nigera and england wont get into fights or anything expecially arsenal players. good luck to all the teams.

hope henry gets well soon in time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
goonermc - i too think the boys from cameroon could do well, not win it but semis maybe.
for anybody who wants to earn money fast listen up and listen good.
- england are 7/4 to be knocked out at the group stage and 7/4 the stage after the group stage.
if you put £100 on both, you will return with a profit of £75! unless england reach the 1/4's.
i dont mean to be such a bastard, but the injuries will catch up the players and i cant really see us beating the argies. meaning probably second place and a certain date with THE WORLD CHAMPIONS - france!
trust me it's a dead cert;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think the chance of our player to win WC is pretty small.
Look at the groups.
Kanu, Freddie, and England players are all in the same group.
And Argentina is so strong.
I hope its England to qualify with Argentina, even though I have a strong feeling that Nigeria is going to qualify.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It`s now a week until the WC starts, I think it could be funny to write a World cup 2002 dream team now and than see how many changes we have done when the tournament is finished. My team:
Seaman

Cafu Campbell Cannavaro Lizarazu

Vieira Zidane Ljugberg

Raul Agahowa Ronaldo

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
haha Gunners is right
world cup has got all the gunners fighting against eachother with england, sweden and nigeria

do you think its rigged?
;)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My team;

------------ Buffon
-Campbell--Samuel--Carlos--
--Ljungberg--Vieira--Ballack-----
-----------Roanldinho--------------
--Eto'o---Trezeguet---Gomes--

·
Registered
6 Posts
my team:

--------------- seaman
-- lauren -- keown-- campbell -- cole
- wiltord - vieira - edu - ljungberg
--------- bergkamp -- henry

any good? :tongue:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well mate #7 ure a nut though i have to say that that team is fantastic!

I supoort england but dont think they are cut out for big things!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
pires7 said:

trust me it's a dead cert;)
Famous last words! :D

My breakthrough star will be:

Owen Hargreaves (England & Bayern)

He has improved so much since I first saw him last season. He has been our best player in the warm-ups and I'd start him as Gerrard's replacement.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It would be fab if we could get Hargreaves!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts