41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Lazing in a hammock
2,451 Posts
We've learend how to keep the ball?? LOL. :D

· Registered
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Gallas saves the day.

Vital victory but the January trasnfer window can't come soon enough.

· Registered
893 Posts
Poor again but at least 3 points to show today... we just lacked any creativity and had to rely on a David James error to give us the goal. We just didn't look like scoring today from open play and were so narrow, was quite clear Pompey came to get a draw and frustrate us and it almost worked.

· Registered
20,024 Posts
Thank you David James. And this is the England goalkeeper:howler: He was dodgy all afternoon.

Every game is a struggle for this side. There was not much creativity but it's a win and this side will take anything atm.

Positives were we kept a clean sheet, the crowd were good today in getting behind the players. They didn't turn or get negative when it stayed 0-0 going late into the match and Spurs lost to those footballing giants West Brom :D

· Registered
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
what a terrible game. somehow i dont believe we deserved the 3points. a draw would be more fair imo. well 3 points is 3 points i guess.
Unless we add more quality this is exactly what we can expect for the rest of the season. What we have at best is a squad with a lot of potential but in terms of the consistent quality needed week in and week that is required to excel in the PL we are simply not up to it.

I keep hearing the media talk about confidence and leadership but facts are the most important aspect in any squad is quality. It's damn easy to be confidant when you have a GK like Mad Jens, a CM duo of Vieira/Edu and Henry, DB and Pires terrorizing the opposition. I know it's highly unlikely but signing the likes of Arteta, Inler, another winger plus the return of Theo and Eddie should surely see us nick 4TH from Aston Villa.

· Gooner
6,780 Posts
Get in! James messed up by coming for the cross from Nasri and getting nowhere near it. He was making silly mistakes all afternoon. It was another average performance from us and only got a bit better after Ramsey and Vela came on. Eboue in midfield, Denilson at the moment and Bentnder in general (he will never make it unlike Denilson who has some potential) just are'nt good enough if we want to win the title any time soon.

Think we will have enough to nick 4th from Villa and Everton though.

· Registered
5,228 Posts
I don't like Diaby as a play maker. I like him better further up the pitch. Ramsey looked a hell of a lot better this game. Denilson was completely and utterly invisible. Maybe it was because he was holding, but he provided no spark. Can't really complain about the rest of the team as it was the midfield which caused us to look so lethargic. If Wenger gets a quality DM, I think the team improves by about 60%. We still lack width though. These were the most unlikely three points we've earned all season.

· Registered
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I don't like Diaby as a play maker. I like him better further up the pitch. Ramsey looked a hell of a lot better this game. Denilson was completely and utterly invisible. Maybe it was because he was holding, but he provided no spark. Can't really complain about the rest of the team as it was the midfield which caused us to look so lethargic. If Wenger gets a quality DM, I think the team improves by about 60%. We still lack width though. These were the most unlikely three points we've earned all season.
It's why AW drives me nuts.

It's what you get with kids, Ramsey was sub par against Villa at best but today we saw a different player, Denilson and Diaby on the other hand while both good against Villa were total non factors today. Look at Sagna game in and game out the man is class just pure unmitigated class, it's what you get from top players between 24-30, they have the quality, experience and grit to get the job done no matter what the circumstances. I truly feel bad for this squad, they truly are giving everything thing they have esp since the Man City debacle but they need help and it's up to AW to provide the squad with an injections of a few more Sagna's.

· Registered
5,228 Posts
Any player who hasn't featured in the side would struggle against Villa. Especially if he hasn't featured in the first team all too often. I see your point in terms of having a man for man, or as close to it, replacement on the bench, whenever we make a substitute or we lose someone to injury, but then there's the thing. Do you buy a player to slot into the midfield or do you give the youngsters a try and give them the time necessary for them to develop into good players?

We all saw Theo stumble through his first full season hoping that he'd become good and he did so at the beginning of this season. For a while he became our main threat because of his speed. Diaby, Denilson and Ramsey need that season to acclimate just like Theo did. Diaby hasn't been healthy for about three straight seasons so it's natural that we're seeing him on patchy form. So far he has gone on a good vein of form only to get injured two weeks later. This is Denilson's first real season as well. And Ramsey is just starting to get a taste just like Wenger does with all the kids.

Let me explain to you what I think Wenger's philosophy is. Take someone like Denilson. With him you've got a player who knows the system and you're confident that he has enough ability to be a well rounded player once he catches on. So why invest on another midfielder when you know that this one may be ready soon? Personally, I think Denilson hasn't panned out and we need a good DM immediately. This being said, though, maybe this playing time he's getting helps him become a crack and Wenger proves us all wrong. It's not like he hasn't done it before.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Right now, the most scary line still remains at the defense. I was panic attack borderline towards the end of the game. Everytime Pompey would cross the ball on crouch I was feeling we might pull a Villa or Spurs.

I am pretty sure we need a CB, a very good one, and unlike some other positions, there are simply no young world-class prospects at our academy.
I like Djorou, but it's not enough with him.

· Registered
10,838 Posts
I don't know why Vela and Rambo don't play more often, they were great when they came on.

· Registered
20,024 Posts
Personally, I think Denilson hasn't panned out and we need a good DM immediately. This being said, though, maybe this playing time he's getting helps him become a crack and Wenger proves us all wrong. It's not like he hasn't done it before.
Agreed. Didn't think Denilson had a particularly good game today. Got caught on the ball a few times and gave some bad passes as well. He can only get better and he may get that time to improve as I just can't see Wenger paying big money for a DM.

Maybe it's time for a gamble but not one that will hurt so much in the pocket and could be an investment not just for what remains for this season but for many years to come. Wenger should be taking a look at this:

Mohamed Diame.

Position: Defensive midfielder

Current Club: Rayo Vallecano

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Betis and Liverpool have already been linked with Diame. He has had a fantastic season so far at Rayo Vallecano. It appears that he can be one of the best defensive midfielders in europe.
Diame is a strong and true fighter, an aggresive, tireless worker in the centre of the field. He can control with both feet which makes it easy for him to escape pressure and send accurate long balls to the attack. His greatest ability is his aerial domination as he has a very good natural jump. He has a buyout clause of 6 million euros.

Ok so the write up is over the top and there is a question mark about maybe his technical ability but if clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid are after him there must to something to this player. He sounds like that destroyer, animal we need in the middle. Maybe Wenger could get a steal on the others by guaranteeing him first team football. He is French of Senegalese descent. Wenger could woo him :smileani:

· Registered
16,485 Posts
That guy just sounds like Song tbh. I don't really see the point in buying a player like that i.e. young and not guaranteed to perform.

You should be looking at players who will slot straight into your starting 11, that much is obvious. Who knows who that is, though.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.