Xtratime Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
20,024 Posts
Portsmouth are on a lousy run. The team needs to try to put in a confidence performance, a shut out and show no panic like they showed against Wigan. If they don't the crowd will show their displeasure again and the gloom will continue around the club. It would help if the crowd at the Emirates get behind them positively from the first whisle.

· Registered
20,024 Posts
Team:

Almunia (c)
Sagna - Gallas - Silvestre - Clichy
Eboue - Denilson - Diaby - Nasri
Adebayor - Bendtner

Subs: Kolo Touré, Robin Van Persie, Carlos Vela, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Lukasz Fabianski, Kieran Gibbs

No place for Toure. Bendtner upfront with Ade. Diaby continues as the attacking midfielder. Clichy returns.

· Registered
20,024 Posts
Thank you David James. And this is the England goalkeeper:howler: He was dodgy all afternoon.

Every game is a struggle for this side. There was not much creativity but it's a win and this side will take anything atm.

Positives were we kept a clean sheet, the crowd were good today in getting behind the players. They didn't turn or get negative when it stayed 0-0 going late into the match and Spurs lost to those footballing giants West Brom :D

· Registered
20,024 Posts
Personally, I think Denilson hasn't panned out and we need a good DM immediately. This being said, though, maybe this playing time he's getting helps him become a crack and Wenger proves us all wrong. It's not like he hasn't done it before.
Agreed. Didn't think Denilson had a particularly good game today. Got caught on the ball a few times and gave some bad passes as well. He can only get better and he may get that time to improve as I just can't see Wenger paying big money for a DM.

Maybe it's time for a gamble but not one that will hurt so much in the pocket and could be an investment not just for what remains for this season but for many years to come. Wenger should be taking a look at this:

Mohamed Diame.

Position: Defensive midfielder

Current Club: Rayo Vallecano

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Betis and Liverpool have already been linked with Diame. He has had a fantastic season so far at Rayo Vallecano. It appears that he can be one of the best defensive midfielders in europe.
Diame is a strong and true fighter, an aggresive, tireless worker in the centre of the field. He can control with both feet which makes it easy for him to escape pressure and send accurate long balls to the attack. His greatest ability is his aerial domination as he has a very good natural jump. He has a buyout clause of 6 million euros.

Ok so the write up is over the top and there is a question mark about maybe his technical ability but if clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid are after him there must to something to this player. He sounds like that destroyer, animal we need in the middle. Maybe Wenger could get a steal on the others by guaranteeing him first team football. He is French of Senegalese descent. Wenger could woo him :smileani:

· Registered
20,024 Posts
That guy just sounds like Song tbh. I don't really see the point in buying a player like that i.e. young and not guaranteed to perform.
Song is a bit of a prissy though. Doesn't have a lot of presence.

He sounds just like the type of player Wenger would buy. Has he had any type of involvement with the national side? Wenger likes French players that have been through Clairefontaine, so if he has then it would be even more likely that he would sign him. Him playing in Spain's second division is also promising as AW likes that particular league when it comes to the development of players.
No this player doesn't have the national or Clairefontaine credentials. It seems he had a setback in his early development. If you want that Matuidi of Saint Etienne is your man. Wouldn't say no to him either. Being from Clairefontaine is not a necessity though. Think Wenger has signed more french players that are not from that school over time.

Lots of people are demanding certain players but all we hear is the same old tired names being trotted out. This player is just an example of what I hope Wenger can come up with. One of his classic slightly off the radar purchases.

· Registered
20,024 Posts
Not really. I think Wiltord & Cygan were the only non-Clairefontaine signings but I may be wrong. Diaby, Sagna, Clichy, Gallas and Nasri are all involved with Clairefontaine. Before them Henry, Pires and Vieira were all Clairefontaine products. I don't think the academy players are the only ones Wenger will sign but going by his pattern of signings, it is more likely that he will. He also likes ex-Auxerre players because of their academy.
There is a list here of notable Clairefontaine products. Don't know if they have missed out players but you would think it unlikely because they list players that are not household names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairefontaine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.