Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have next weekend off because of World Cup qualifiers, so after that we entertain/annihilate Norwich at Highbury. Expected to be back are Thierry Henry ( :D ), Robert Pires, Sol Campbell, Dennis Bergkamp and possibly even Gilberto Silva to get some playing time ( :D:D ).

So:

Lehmann
Lauren Senderos Campbell Cole
Ljungberg Vieira Fabregas Pires
Bergkamp Henry

SUBS: Almunia/Taylor Toure Flamini Reyes Gilberto ... or something like that.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
MOre or less the same with one change....

Lauren to be replaced by Kolo if Sol is fit.

Probably even Flamini for Cesc

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Norwich is simply the worst team in Premiership this season, there's no way we can't win this match. In this match, we have to score as much goals as possible to raise the team spirit and also to increase the goal difference between us and Man Utd. so that we can still finish 2nd if in case we have same points with them.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Norwich may be the worst team, but i still respect them as they are not just a team of runners, they do try and play a bit even though they lack quality.

I'd play Reyes on the right for this one, drop Fred who is only ever useful in away games, Pires and Reyes on the wings is the way to go at home.

i'd also play Kolo for Ralph, he needs to get used to that position with the emergence of Sendo the GIANT.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
lol why was my post deleted?? never mind....

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I deleted because I wrote an inappropriate reply, so I deleted both. I can just as easily undelete if I have to.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
ok...

why do you think that in 2 weeks time, after wenger has already said fabregas has played too many games, and after flamini has been 2nd choice centre midfield for a while now, and after gilberto and possibly edu have returned that fabregas will start in centre midfield?

just because its norwich, it dosen't mean that we are def gonna win

·
Registered
293 Posts
Norwich can't attack. Their defence is not that good when compare to first half of the season. It would be good if we can get as many goals to increase the goal difference as possible.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Petros said:
ok...

why do you think that in 2 weeks time, after wenger has already said fabregas has played too many games, and after flamini has been 2nd choice centre midfield for a while now, and after gilberto and possibly edu have returned that fabregas will start in centre midfield?
Because I want him to start, duh. :rollani:

·
63,337 Posts
so do i, i want Fabregas to start every game, he is my favourite player to watch, i went round my Uncle's the weekend who is 71 and he said to me "I hope i live long enough to see Fabregas grow up" that is what the boy means to Gooners. :proud:

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
he adds that taste and spice, did u see the run he made in the begining minutes of the 2nd half, amazing for his age, i just hope he starts in the midle, rather than the right.

·
63,337 Posts
Twayka said:
he adds that taste and spice, did u see the run he made in the begining minutes of the 2nd half, amazing for his age, i just hope he starts in the midle, rather than the right.
yeah that was a great run, a bit like the one he dif versus Sheffield. :star:

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
I just love his attitdude, simply no fear.

One mistake AW made was leaving him of the bench in both games vs the Mancs, anyone who thinks Fab can't or won't get stuck in is blind.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
if i am not mistaken he took the mickey out of the great roy keane in cardiff in the community shield!

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
gunner4ever said:
if i am not mistaken he took the mickey out of the great roy keane in cardiff in the community shield!

That when the famous Fab song was born

HE'S ONLY 17,

HE'S BETTER THAN ROY KEANE

FABREGAS

WHOAHHHHHHH FABREGASSSSSSS

WOAHHHHHHH FABREGASSSSSSSS

And repeat.

·
63,337 Posts
khimik said:
That song will need updating soon :pp he turns 18 in May.
as long as his age ends in teen it will be alright, so another two and a bit years :lala:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Pain game holds no fears for Fabregas

AS THE BENTLEYS, PORSCHES AND Ferraris sweep into Arsenal’s training complex every day, one first-team regular is dropped off at the gates by his landlady. Francesc “Cesc” Fàbregas is not quite so youthful as to require a packed lunch in his satchel but, yet to pass his driving test, he needs a lift to work.

“He’s only 17, he’s better than Roy Keane,” is how Highbury hails its young Spaniard, the positive face of what has been a deflating season for the defending champions. Plunged into the hurly-burly of the English midfield because of injuries to Patrick Vieira, Gilberto Silva and Edu, Fàbregas has shown why Barcelona were so upset when their youth-team captain was spirited away for a nominal amount in compensation.

If his performances have dipped since Christmas, it is worth remembering that he is 18 months younger than Wayne Rooney. More than 30 first-team appearances are bound to have taken their toll on a 17-year-old who is so unassuming that he blushes when he admits to having a girlfriend. Still, you will not hear him complaining about fatigue. José Antonio Reyes has not looked the same player since he was kicked around Old Trafford last October but, watching from the bench, another Spaniard claims that he was itching to join in that infamously bruising encounter.

“That was the toughest game I ever saw,” Fàbregas said. “It was bad luck to lose but it was fantastic to watch. You could really feel they didn’t like each other. That is why we are footballers, to play these type of games. I was so jealous. My team-mates were in there fighting for every ball and I wanted to be out there helping them. Yes, even when José got kicked.

“When I was younger I had to play against kids who were two years older than me. We would play on hard pitches, like concrete, and I was small, but I always kept trying even if I got hurt. That is part of my character. I like physical matches and it does not always matter how strong you are but how intelligent. If you are quick in your mind, that is the best thing because you can move the ball on quickly. I think I have already shown that I can adapt to the English game but, obviously, I can improve.”

Fàbregas learnt not to take a touch too many on the hard grounds of Catalonia. His family are fanatical supporters of Barcelona, his grandfather taking him to the Nou Camp for his sporting baptism when he was nine months old. His father was rejected after a week’s trial but Fàbregas was to become one of the stars of Barcelona’s youth system. In the summer of 2003 he went to the under-17 World Championship. Spain lost the final to Brazil but Fàbregas was top scorer and player of the tournament.

It is hard to believe that a Catalan lad could want for more but, asked how Arsenal lured him away from his family and his boyhood club, Fàbregas explains that it came down to personal ambition rather than financial inducements. He feared that his promotion through the ranks was too slow.

“I was enjoying it at Barcelona but we were winning 30-0 sometimes,” he said. “I was playing well but not being pushed. The year before I came to Arsenal, I nearly went to Espanyol because I was told I could play for their reserves at 15 years old. I spoke to the Barcelona president, Joan Gaspart, and I stayed, but then Arsenal came in and offered more opportunities. My dream was to play for Barcelona but I had the feeling that if I came here I could do something special. It was the opportunity of my life to come here and demonstrate I could play in the first team, although I could never have imagined that I would play so many games so young.”

Fàbregas claims to have no regrets despite Barcelona’s re-emergence as a power under Frank Rijkaard. “I didn’t think about whether they were good or bad when I left,” he said. He remains a committed fan but knows that, had he stayed, he would be a long way back in the queue behind Xavi, Gerard, Deco and Demetrio Albertini for a place in midfield. At the Nou Camp he had been groomed in the position of his hero, Pep Guardiola, just in front of the defence.

For Spain’s junior teams, including the under-21s, he plays farther forward, where he can clip the final balls around the penalty area. It is not a position he is likely to fill with Arsenal unless Arsène Wenger changes his system from 4-4-2, which requires two tireless engines in central midfield.

Fàbregas lacks power but his manager believes that it will come with time. “I am convinced he will be a great player,” Wenger said. “He just needs to mature physically. He just needs to get the zip on the pitch that you get when you are a little bit more mature. I admire his intelligence, his attitude and the way he plays for others. His workrate is tremendous. You know when you play football it can look very complicated, but the best sign of an intelligent player is making it look simple.”

While speculation continues about Reyes’s future in London and subdued performances point to a parting, Fàbregas shows no signs of pining for La Liga. His family visit him once a month, dropping by the digs he shares with Philippe Senderos, and his relish for combat was demonstrated in a feisty clash with Michael Ballack in the recent European Cup tie with Bayern Munich.

The only troubling news is that, having bowed to dressing-room pressure and cut off his mullet, he is threatening to grow it long again. Some of his team-mates should have a word.

Fab facts

Born: May 4, 1987 in Vilassar de Mar, Spain. Barcelona trainee. His father, also Francesc, had a trial for Barcelona but was turned down and played for a third-division team.

August 2003: Top scorer and voted best player of the Fifa under-17 World Championship in Finland. Spain were runners-up.

October 2003: Signed by Arsenal for a nominal fee. At 16 years and 177 days was the youngest player to appear for Arsenal, against Rotherham United in the Carling Cup. Thirty-five days later becomes the youngest player to score for the club, against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the same competition.

August 2004: Imposing performance against Manchester United in Community Shield. Makes league debut against Everton. At 17 years and three months, scores first league goal for club against Blackburn Rovers.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts