Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've got the Carling Cup in midweek but we've got a LOT to talk about the first team in the mean time. I think Vieira is suspended for this game so we'll see Flamini start. I'd drop Reyes, he's been awful for nearly two months.

I fully expect Birmingham to come and play 8-0-2 and bore their way to a 0-0 draw or something. This isn't what we need to get our form back, playing the most defensively dull and quite frankly one of the most apalling teams in this league.

:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
pires has been worse the nreyes

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
pires assisted the goal vs liverpool , scored the winner against totenham, scored the only goal against WBA , so how has he been worst than reyes?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
khimik said:
I think Vieira is suspended for this game so we'll see Flamini start.
isn't Vieira suspended for the Chelsea game. Andy Gray was saying it takes 7 days for the ban to come into effect and the Birmingham game is 6 days away so he's gonna be out for the next game which is that against Chelsea.

But as for this game, teach them the same lesson you taught us, but make it 5-0 or something :thmbup:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Viera's suspended for the Chelsea game.He'll be there to see henry grab a hattrick against the relegation candidate for the season!;)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes he is, I forgot we played on Sunday and it'll only be six days. Won't matter anyway, 0-0 is as predictable as Everton playing boring football.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
2-0 Arsenal

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
yeah Vieira is out of the Chelsea game, so fuk knows what our midfield will be against them ? can we register Emmanuel Petit before that match ? :D :googly:

as for this match Reyes has to be left out, Bergkamp will be back and i'd also give Pennant a try who played really well last time.

this week in training we should be working on passing, passing, passing, moving, moving, moving, we need to get pur spark back, fuk the set-pieces i want to see our confidence with the ball return.

-----------Jens
Lauren--Kolo---Sol---Ash
Pennant-Fab--Paddy--Bob
--------Den
------------Henry

if Pires and Dennis don't do much, take them off for Fred and van Persie at HT, don't wait til 70 mins for Fred or til 88 mins for RvP. :fero:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd prefer to let Fred play as Pennant has been injured I think, and will probably play Carling Cup. I'm not sure if I'd play Pires to be honest. Every time I call for him to start after he comes off the bench as a super-sub, he disappoints greatly. I don't know what Wenger should do with him at the moment, so I'd go with ...

Lehmann
Lauren Toure Sulzeer Cole
Ljungberg Flamini Vieira van Persie
Bergkamp Henry

Fact is Flamini needs to get some games under his belt and I think this is an oppertune time to rest Cesc as he'll play against Rosenborg on Tuesday and then against Chavski on Saturday. Nine days off for him would be good and Flamini needs to get 90 minutes under his belt as one Carling Cup game is hardly match fitness. I'd also like to see van Persie get a start for a change and he's done the job at left midfield for Feyenoord on the more than one occaision so I guess he'd swap it around with Dennis a lot.

·
63,337 Posts
Pires needs a run of games for me, he won't get back his sharpness by leaving him out, Fred has run himself into the ground all season, i think he needs a rest, i'm sure Pennant can handle two games in three days.

i'd send Reyes back to Spain for a week to recharge his batteries.

but whatever the team it's all about motivation and instilling confidence this week for Wenger, it doesn't matter who we bring in , if the team isn't playing well with the ball they will look bad anyway.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree completely. Yesterday that was probably the worst we've passed the ball in years so we really need to get some passing practice in. I hope Wenger adopts an Attackers vs. Defenders match type training session where he sends the four main attackers (Henry, Bergkamp, Fredrik and Pires) agains the six defenders because the passing really lacked sharpness.

We desperately need a result but Birmingham are not ideal opposition. They won't come at us at all, they won't attack us and will sit back as far as they can. Our best hope is that they're shit anyway, but we aren't much better.

·
63,337 Posts
it's all about time and condifence, one good result with a good defensive display and some sharp passing and we will be out of this rut, it's just how long it takes before we get that one good result and performance.

I am amazed our confidence can be shredded so easily, Mike Riley has got a lot to answer for. :fero:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
what jern's said is rite, in training we need more practice passing, passing,and passing , moving, moving, and moving...but apart from that we need to score,score an score, am i rite? :D

·
63,337 Posts
yes lazindo, i think you have found the answer there. :D

look at this ...........

A list of the players that have served both Blues and our next opponents, Arsenal.

Barclays Premiership
Arsenal v Birmingham City
4th December 2004 at 15:00
Played For Both Sides

Caesar Jenkyns Birmingham 1892-95 Arsenal 1895-96

Charlie Hare Arsenal 1894-96 Birmingham 1896-98

Jack Aston Arsenal 1899-1900 Birmingham 1899-1902

Harry King Birmingham 1907-10 Arsenal 1914-15

Archie Roe Birmingham 1919-20 Arsenal 1922-23

Len Thompson Birmingham 1921-23 Arsenal 1927-32

Billy Blyth Arsenal 1914-29 Birmingham 1929-31

Jimmy Bloomfield Arsenal 1954-61 Birmingham 1960-64

George Johnston Arsenal 1967-69 Birmingham 1969-70

John Roberts Arsenal 1969-73 Birmingham 1972-76

Pat Howard Arsenal 1976-77 Birmingham 1977-79

Paul Gorman Arsenal 1981-84 Birmingham 1984-85

David Seaman Birmingham 1984-86 Arsenal 1990-2003

David Madden Arsenal 1983-84 Birmingham 1989-90

Alan Miller Birmingham 1991-92 Arsenal 1992-94

Chris Whyte Arsenal 1981-86 Birmingham 1993-96

Anders Limpar Arsenal 1990-94 Birmingham 1996-97

Isaiah Rankin Arsenal 1997-98 Birmingham 1999-2000

Christopher Wreh Arsenal 1997-99 Birmingham 1999-2000

Matthew Upson Arsenal 1997-2002 Birmingham 2002-04

I never knew Christopher Wreh played for Birmingham :eekani:

i wonder where he is now, he's George Weah's cousin don't you know ? :D

·
63,337 Posts
khimik said:
Did you know it's been 20 years since Birmingham scored a goal against Arsenal?
it will probably be another twenty now they've bought Heskey :tongue:

seriously they are going to be a tough nut to crack i think, i would stick Lupoli on the bench for his foxy skills late on.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They have to be one of the jammiest sides for a club of our stature to play. They're shite against everyone else but as soon as they play a top club they're unpennetrable. I hate sides like that.

·
63,337 Posts
yeah at Highbury they are always tough to beat, different at St.Andrews where we normally thrash them.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts