Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about who Arsene Wenger is going to buy with his 'war chest' in the summer?

Well here it is in his own words on Arsenal.com:

“Everybody wants me to buy players,” he said. “But if you look at the names we had out at Blackburn and the quality of the young players we had then it is both a very big chance and a very big problem.

“There was no Ljungberg, Campbell, Henry, Edu, Gilberto, Pires and Bergkamp. If you add all those to our young players it makes for a very interesting mixture.

“We have to find the right way to build a great team. To put [new] players in front of Senderos, Fabregas and Clichy just because they have a name would be a mistake. That is why we have to add one or two players. We must be wise and not destroy what we have built up with our intense work.”

To some the above may not reveal too much but in fact it's a message to many people on many levels.

Arsenal News
First of all he's telling Senderos, Fabregas and Clichy that they are in the first team squad for next season and that he won't be buying players in their positions. So for all of you who thought or hoped Wenger would be buying a defender i.e. Ledley King, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

You can expect Senderos to partner Sol Campbell at the back next season.

Kolo Toure will take Lauren's place at right back, with Emmanuel Eboue as his back up. Lauren will get to play in midfield again, especially away from home where a slightly more defensive approach will be adopted.

There is a message too for Ashley Cole and his agent. He's basically saying he's happy to play Clichy at left back (as he has instead of Cole even when the England left back is fit).

It's not that he doesn't want to keep Cole, but he's not going to be bullied into giving him a Chelsea-size contract.

It's shame that it has got to this stage with Cole, and I do think the board could have dealt with it far better, but I also think Cole's agent has possibly pushed for too much.

Persoanlly I like the combination of Cole and Clichy on the left side. It's like playing with two left backs when we're defending and two left wingers when we have possession.

It's a tactic I can see Wenger employing on away trips, especially in Europe.

That statement also rules out buying in any of the the midfield positions, even though we're going to lose Edu.

We've all see how well both Fabregas and Flamini have done and both have played outside of their normal central positions.

Gilberto Silva and Patrick Vieira will be the first choice pairing next season. But the two youngsters will get plenty of games next season as they've already proved they can cut it in the Premiership, allowing Wenger to rest his 'big two' for the Champions League.

Robert Pires' future is in doubt. He's put out signals in the press about wanting to stay for the rest of his career, so far Wenger hasn't responded.

It's not that he doesn't want to keep Pires, far from it. But he has to look at the future and make a decision on Jose Antonio Reyes.

I think Wenger has decided that Reyes isn't going to be Thierry Henry's strike partner, so I reckon Wenger will make Reyes first choice left midfielder next season (assuming he stays). And he will then give Pires the option to play as back up or leave. It's the Wenger way to be fair and honest to his squad players even though he has served us so well.

Those who you who have been getting excited about Shaun Wright-Phillips joining is I'm afraid wll also be disappointed unless Wenger is set to perform one his alchemist tricks and turn him into a second striker. A lthough that is highly unlikely.

So that leaves just two positions, and two players to buy. A striker and a keeper.

That's the message he's sending to agents wanting to do business with Arsenal this summer. But he's also telling them I don't want anything but the very best for the last season at Highbury.

Far more subtle approach than the 'tapping up' routines employed by some, but you'd expect nothing less would you.

I don't think Wenger will recruit from the Premeirship, or bow to media pressure and go for an Englishman.

My hope was that he'd buy Stuttgart's Timo Hildebrand who was out of contract at the end of the season. At 25 years old he has at least 10 seasons ahead of him as a top clas keeper.

Wenger has tried to get Chelsea to sell Carlo Cudicini. But they won't play ball. However the Italian isn't happy as a number two and wants a move. If my sources are correct he will be at AC Milan next season (which is why those two clubs are so cosy-cosy right now). But I don't see how Cudicini is going to displace Nelson Dida, but that's his problem.

However, this may prompt the Italians into let Christian Abiatti go. We made a big bid for him two years ago but he was convinced to stay by Milan, but has since warmed the bench. At 27 years old he's still young enough to be our long-term keeper, but after two years of fairly uncompetitive football does respresent somehting of a risk. But it's definitely a Wenger-type buy, much along the same lines as his move for Marc Overmars all those years ago after everyone in football had written him off.

As you've probably figured out by now the 'big, big' player the boss is going to buy this season is going to be a striker.

I can recall Wenger describing only one other opposition player as a 'big, big' player in the past and that is Roma's Francesco Totti. He almost moved to Real Madrid last summer and he may well decide the time is right to move on now as his side are going nowhere in Serie A and have no money to spend to arrest the slide.

British Eurosport commentators, during Roma's 2-0 loss to Milan, said that there were rumours in Italy that the player is going to move to Highbury.

He's the closest player to Dennis Bergkamp (which would make Thierry Henry very happy who has made his own subtle preference about the type of striker he prefers playing with) and is not afraid to mix it up with anyone. However, he is also capable of getting himself sent of very stupidly (which some might say makes him even more ideally suited to Arsenal, although we have addressed that problem of late) and at his age should have got past that stage in his career.

It's definitely one to watch out for if it gathers pace.

The target that most of the english and spanish media will tell you is coming to Arsenal is Michael Owen. But that is very unlikey.

Wenger was offered him last summer, before he moved to Real Madrid, and turned the move down. Whether that was more to do with his wage demands or whether he didn't fancy him is for you to decide. But as it was the player himelf who wantd the move I think it would have more to do with the latter. I persoanlly don't think he style suits Arsenal and it would force Wenger to play Henry behind him, something that I'm sure Henry is loathed to do.

The player I'd like to see Wenger sign is one who we nearly bought four years ago, Zlatan Ibrahimovich.

When Wenger made his frist approach he was still playing in Sweden, and he was even pictured in the Daily Mirror with an Arsenal No.9 shirt with his name on it allegedly given to him by Le Boss.

He turned down the move, prefering to go to Ajax where he was virtually guaranteed a first team place (at the time Wenger had Henry, Bergkamp, Kanu and Davor Suker).

He went to Juventus last summer and has coped with the demands of Serie A well. Never a prolific striker, what he does is act as an excellent target man, holds the ball up well, has great movement and is as good in the air as he is with his feet.

I'd go for him over Totti because he's be as effective in the Premiership as he would in Europe whereas Totti, I feel, has yet to prove his worth on the European stage.

Of course Wenger may yet surprise us all as he has done in the past, but whoever it is he signs expect them to be on the scale of player when the club brought Dennis Bergkamp from Inter Milan.

For once it's going to be a great summer for us.

--------

I found this to be a good article, written by someone at ArsenalAmerica.com. Although the parts about Totti are scary, because he is an idiot who should just be sent off for being Totti. Here is my opinion on Francesca Totti ;):

A few pro's and con's, in my eyes.

+ He's a player of undoubted quality. In fact, he's one of the only players in the world REALLY capable of playing in the Bergkamp role, both scoring them as well as creating.

+ He's at Roma. Roma need cash. We have cash (especially if Reyes goes). Might make sense.

+ It's be a big F**K OFF to the likes of United and Chelsea. It would demonstrate that we ARE capable of drawing massive stars to this club. It would piss them off, and scare the shit out of just about everybody else in the premiership.

- He dives more than van Nistelhorsefacedcunt and spits more than El Hadj Poof. He gets booked in stupider ways than van Persie, then again his idiotic sending offs/bookings in high profile matches probably would make us love him instantly ala Freddie ;)

- Monster ego. What on earth would he do to the dressing room?

- Roma may need the cash, but he still wouldn't be cheap. And then there are his wages!!! Plus, if it emerged that he was on the move, Real and Chelsea would definitely be sniffing around.

Verdict?

If we were offered the chance to sign him, I'd probably go for it. You can't really turn down talent like that. On the other hand, we probably couldn't afford him after the inevitable bidding war with Chelsea and Real. A non-starter, if you ask me, almost no-chance we'd get him. But hey, we can dream.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Here my response to the article on the Arsenal America site.

Good article but I disagree with regards to AW buying a CB and SWP.

Firstly it's very clear teams who are serious about winning must have three World class CB's and a quality back up on the bench. Right now we have only one World class CB in Sol and at best two if we count Sendo, and even than that a stretch as he's still a kid. Toure is a quality CB but will never be World class and Cygan........ Well we all know about him. Facts are as sad as it is to admit Sol will never play more than 30 games ever again, much like TA in his last three years AW will use Sol stratigicly which means AW will sign a CB. I have no clue on whom that maybe but if I had to guess Chivu or Meztelder fit the bill.

As for SWP AW said earlier in the year that the Wright family is a part of the Arsenal family and would love to sign SWP at the right price. Freddie's good but even this season AW was hoping Pennant would give him a real run for action on the right. Also Freddie's not getting any younger.

As for Reyes I would be surprised if he's a Gunner by the start of next season, I'd love to see him remain a Gunner but London is too much of a culture for the kid from Seville. My guess is after we sign SWP Fedddie and Bobby will play the left wing.

As for a striker we may sign one but there's no guarantee it will be this Summer, IMO AW will sign DB 10 for another season and give RVP the chance to seal his spot on Henry's future.

As for Totti a few things the article gets wrong

1. Arsenal have between 20-30 million pounds to spend, Totti will cost 40-50 million as Roma are in massive debt and will only sell their prize assest for insane money. The only clubs with that kind of cash are Chelsea and Madrid.

2. AW won't sign a malcontent. never has and never will. You think AW would stand for a Totti like personality? not in a million years. If AW was going to sign any malcontent from AS Roma it would be Cassano.

Back to the striker situation, the realiity is it's not only up to AW but Thierry Henry. Since it's Henry who will play the vast majority of games with any new striker AW will surely consult Henry on any possible signing.

Henry likes Owen even if AW is not a fan, if Henry feels Owen and him can work well together than Owen will be a Gunner. Also don't rule out a move for David Trezgeuet.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Okay, I have one thing to address. Totti.

He will never leave Roma. If he leaves Roma, it will be for Milan or Real Madrid. Why?

He has rejected thoughts of a move before to Real or Milan. Why would he do it now?

Also, Italian players like to stay in their countryland b/c of NT and relation reasons.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Okay, I have one thing to address. Totti.

He will never leave Roma. If he leaves Roma, it will be for Milan or Real Madrid. Why?

He has rejected thoughts of a move before to Real or Milan. Why would he do it now?

Also, Italian players like to stay in their countryland b/c of NT and relation reasons.
Francesco Totti has never rejected a move to Real Madrid.

In fact, he has left that door open for a possibility in the future whenever asked, and states that they'd be the _only_ club that would compare to AS Roma in his heart.

And there's no way that Totti of all people would move to England.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
FigoIsGod said:
Francesco Totti has never rejected a move to Real Madrid.

In fact, he has left that door open for a possibility in the future whenever asked, and states that they'd be the _only_ club that would compare to AS Roma in his heart.

And there's no way that Totti of all people would move to England.
All of that is spot on Figo.

Totti has said he'd prefer a move to Real Madrid for two reasons

1. Totti as a Romanista does not want to enrage Roma fans whom would never forgive him if he moved to another Italian club.

2. Madrid would give Roma a ton of cash for his services there by helping his beloved club ease their massive debt.

Also Figo is right Totti will never play in England.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
what a load of bollocks all this is! Here are my thoughts:
1. Pires could be asked to take a stepback and be offered a subs role! Wenger would leave it up to him!
2. SWP i feel in all probability will be coming...
3. i still have a feeling pennant could be coming back if we do not get SWP.
4. totti i don't want to see at THOF!
5. reyes should be going to real!
6. if he goes... we still have henry,berggy, RvP, ali, quincy, lupoli, smith to count on as our strikers! a bit young yes but i feel this could finally be the coming of age of ali and RvP. also with SWP there he can play as the 2nd striker!
7. we could be in the market of a left winger if reyes goes. do not know who it will be or alternatively AW will play cole and clichy on the left!
8. if henry says he can play with owen then owen could be coming to THOF! as part of the exchange deal though i do not see this happening but that said you never know!
9. the goalie we get is going to be a shocker.... mark my words on that one as we all know wenger buys some of the strangest goalies. this is the 1st year we are not talking about any english goalies so my guess is expect someone like Green or Hoult to be our number one next season!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Totti? hands off. :irritate: :stuckup: :tongue:
like you's i don't see it happening either, but not for the following reasons:

Tunis4life said:
1. Arsenal have between 20-30 million pounds to spend, Totti will cost 40-50 million as Roma are in massive debt and will only sell their prize assest for insane money. The only clubs with that kind of cash are Chelsea and Madrid.
Not so much this one, but still i don't think the price would be so insane. A few years ago Roma could have maybe tried selling Totti for 40-50m pounds. they'd never get that now though, not even from RM or Abramovich. Yes the club is in debt and it will probably work against us too.

Totti makes noises about leaving every year (like Vieira) and turns 29 this year (also like Vieira). the main difference between the clubs is that Arsenal at least seem to be able to hang on to key players, while Roma looks less ambitious than ever. If Totti decides to walk out the door, Roma may have to settle for less than you'd think.

Tunis4life said:
2. AW won't sign a malcontent. never has and never will. You think AW would stand for a Totti like personality? not in a million years. If AW was going to sign any malcontent from AS Roma it would be Cassano.
This is not really the case. I think that AW will sign a malcontent and always has. From unsettled stars (Bergkamp, Wiltord) to young, unproven temperamental players (Vieira, Henry) and players with obvious discipline problems (Van Persie, Quincy) and the odd starlet who criticises his teammates and would dearly love to go back home (Reyes). Basically, Wenger knows he is good at getting respect from his players and has taken gambles with a lot of questionable charcters.

Totti imo would probably not cause that much trouble in your team anyway, but i still wouldn't sign him if i were running the Arsenal. Cassano has been mentioned as another option and i agree that he is quite possibly the better option for AW to take.

Cassano is only 22, and no worse behaviourally than many of the players that Wenger has brought to the club. Plus it's almost a certainty that he will leave us this season. For now Juventus and Real Madrid are the main suitors. Moggi seems to think he can brush us off with Mutu (even though they got himfor free, and lifestyle wise is more suited to the Juve pharmaceutical approach to training ;) ) and a few million Euros. Perez so far has been fairly cagey about making an offer.

If Wenger put an honest 20m euros on the table, i think there would be a good chance of you lot getting him. it would certainly be more popular with the Roma fans since we won't qualify for the CL again any time soon and wouldn't have to face him. Cassano unfortunately seems to prefer Juventus ( :yuck: :nono: ). Cassano would have to be a better player than Reyes so if you could make back most of the cost of this transfer by sending JAR back to Spain it's faily sound business.

I reckon the best move would be just to send JAR to Spain as a partial exchange for Owen, who can't be happy about the way thing are going for him there. i don't know how things are between the 'Pool and the Arse, but at least Owen is familiar with the EPL, speaks English and so on
and will be more or less a gurantee for you if he can stay fit. Totti has never even bothered to learn how to speak Italian properly yet so i'm not sure how ready he'd be to embark on the mission of learning a foreign language.

Also i'd hang on to Cole (if this is possible) simply because you would have money in the summer and it would be ridiculous to let one of your quality players go under those circumstances to a rival. also Arsenal would be left with limited options on the left since AW would be too tight to replace Cole and would just play Clichy instead. This problem will be especially obvious, of course, if Reyes does go and Pires is even further over the hill in a year from now.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I promise to myself and GOD..if tottinaMERDA come to highbury i wil never ever to support Arsenal and watch Arsenal match anymore...this kind of player just bowling and ****ing your brains around...and in the past..when i went to the rome derby..and spend a few hour to see him in training ground with friends just because we want to terrorising him..spat around his car and i got one to throw with one (£2 coin) to his car..he just a bit luck that day his head' safe...**** that bloodyy player..

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
TO ARSENAL FC BOARD and ARsene Wenger..TOTTI is always FUKCep up as players and he is idiot... :nono: :nono:

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I only have one thing to say about all this - don't bring that fak Totti to the Arsenal. :finger:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
the article writer is reading too much into Wenger's statements, he always uses bluff and double bluff in his statements.

and who'd to say Fred won't be sold and Cygan got rid of back to France ?

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I am a huge admirer of Totti's football talent, but obviously not his personality and his attitude. Wenger is not stupid enough to sign someone like him for his team.

Besides, I think everybody is correct, Totti will never play in England.

If there's someone I want from AS Roma, it'll be Christian Chivu.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't wanna totti to come. Our discipline already have problem. The last thing that i ever want is a diouf in the team. There is no doubt that he has talent but he would not come cheap. Besides that he is too old to be of any long term investment. I dont think that AW would want to get anything that is'nt long term in nature. Davor Suker aside although.

I would really die praying for him to sign Van Der Vaart. Sure he may be a little like Beckham in off field, he is way better than beckham and that he would be an excellent player to understudy our Bergkamp and play a big role in time to come for Arsenal.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
you guyz are wasting your breath talkin about totti because he wouldnt even come to arsenal.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
So are you suggesting us to make no single post and keep our disagreement to the content of the article in our heart ? You forget that this is a...forum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts