Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal board refused to fund Wenger recruiting plans

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was snubbed three times by his board as he sought funding for new signings during last month's winter market.

The Sun says Wenger asked for the funds to buy specific targets during the transfer window - one player was up for Ј5million.

But on each occasion he was told the club could not provide the finances. Arsenal are tightening their belts because of the new Emirates stadium and that has led to frustration for the Frenchman.

=========================================

And we all know the outcomes.... :sob: :sob:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has hit back at claims that Arsenal had no cash to spend in the transfer window , he said "That is absolute nonsense. Arsène has plenty of money to spend and we offered it to him"

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think Wenger is that stupid to reject money when we clearly have problems. I know, even then we would probably go for some 17-19 year old kids. But at least we would have some cover for our defence and probably a goalie...

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
No, quite the opposite. Wenger does not just buy for the sake of it, i firmly believed he was offered money but he felt that there was no one he was after at the right price at the moment.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Wenger was constantly talking about how players are more expensive in January and how he prefers to buy in the summer anyway,.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
How many big January signings has Wenger ever made? Really there's only Reyes, so why should anyone be shocked at the lack of activity this Window?

·
Registered
398 Posts
This is no internal rift mate. It's just the Sun talking a load of bollocks. Hill-Wood is telling the truth, we do have at least £10 million in the transfer budget. I remember an official club statement confirming this a while ago (around the time we confirmed the Emirates deal). From Hill-Wood's statement, it does sound like he wanted some players to be bought in though. Hmm..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think Wenger is that stupid to reject money when we clearly have problems. I know, even then we would probably go for some 17-19 year old kids. But at least we would have some cover for our defence and probably a goalie...
yeah you defiantly need a new goal keeper. i dont know who to suggest, cudichini would be a good signing but i dont think mouriniho would let him go to another team in the premiership.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
i think he should have 20 million to spend next season ATLEASt, we lost players like (kanu, wiltord, GVB, seaman, parlour, shabaan, jeffers) we will lose Edu, and we didnt spend allot this season, so we should have a good amont

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Money was there for Wenger to spend

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has dismissed claims that the Highbury board refused to give Arsene Wenger any money to spend in the January transfer window.
It was reported that Wenger had been turned down three times when he asked the club to finance transfer deals, with the Gunners committed to spending over £350million on their new stadium.

However, Hill-Wood said: 'That is absolute nonsense. Arsene has plenty of money to spend and we offered it to him, but he said that he was not going to buy for the sake of it.

'He would only act if he could find someone to add to the team.

'It is important to say that the new stadium finance does not impinge on Arsene at all.

'The cash is totally separate and it is not affecting our ability to buy new players,' quotes The Times.

Tuesday's loss to Manchester United all but ended Arsenal's hopes of retaining the Premiership title, but Hill-Wood is refusing to press the panic button.

He added: 'We've had bad luck with injuries. You are bound to miss someone of the quality of Gilberto. He is a World Cup winner.

'We have lost a few games, but we are still in third place. We're also in the knockout stages of the Champions League and
www.soccernet.com
-----------------------------
supports many people's arguments that arsenal is not poor but just tight...

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
the team hasnt done too bad by being tight. you would rather be tight, still have a very good team, win trophies each season instead of having to sell your best players and going bankrupt. ;)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
hehe sowz i seriosly didnt see, put the post in that thread if you wish, i really didnt see it.

edit: omg i just saw it now relocate my original post or delete if u like.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Wenger - Why I didn't buy in January

- Arsène Wenger -
By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger has explained why he decided not to strengthen his squad during the recent transfer window.

The Arsenal manager's resources have been stretched by injuries to key players this season but he opted to keep faith with the Club's youngsters rather than dip into the market.

"Last summer I had some money but I thought we had the quality to win the championship with the players we had," he reflected. "The same players had just won the league unbeaten.

"We lost Kanu and [Sylvain] Wiltord and bought young. We didn't plan to lose Gilberto and Edu but suddenly we didn't have them and we had to bring the youngsters in.

"Now they have gained experience and we also have Edu and Gilberto coming back. So if I bought someone [in January] where would I play them? I would be buying players just to buy players."

Wenger believes the current crop of youngsters will benefit greatly from the experience they have gained.

"In August, Fabregas will be a much more mature player than last September. The same goes for Flamini, Reyes, Van Persie, Senderos, Eboue and Clichy.

"We have the quality but we have to give them time to mature. We will not be capable of buying a player for £25million, so we have to fight in another way."

Link

1 - 20 of 21 Posts