Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has revealed that the club may consider seeking a full listing for its shares on the London Stock Exchange.

Speaking at the Soccerex football business forum in Dubai, Dein said a full listing was "one of the options" for funding after the club moves to its new stadium.

The club - which is currently listed on the smaller Ofex share exchange - is due to move into its new 60,000-seater Emirates Stadium at Ashburton Grove for the start of the 2006/07 season.

Mr Dein also warned the current level of TV coverage of the Premiership may be reaching saturation point, with signs that match attendances have been dropping off in the first few months of this season.

When Arsenal move to their new stadium it will see its proportion of turnover from media earnings drop from 52% this season to 34% in two years' time.

The club is hoping to increase matchday earnings from 29% to 40% of turnover, and has not ruled out other money-earning measures, including a full share listing.

"When the new stadium opens we will go through a thorough financial review," Mr Dein said.

"Listing would be one option, but we are flexible and no decisions have been made on that issue yet.

"We want to be in the best financial health - maybe clubs can do it [listing], Manchester United have been a success."

Mr Dein admittted that, although television money and coverage had driven the English game forward in the past 10 years, he feared there might now be too many games being screened.

"Television has been the driving force over the past 10 years... but we must constantly improve if we want to remain as the world's leading league competition.

"We must monitor the quality of the product and ensure attendances do not decline, and we must balance that with the quantity of exposure on TV too.

"I think we have practically reached saturation point... sometimes I think less is more."

The club is funding its move to Ashburton Grove through a number of sources, including borrowing from banks, cash reserves, revenue due from sponsors, and from the sale of surplus property, including its Highbury Stadium.

It is also looking to create new revenue streams from overseas markets, including Asia.

"We have two executives travelling round Japan and China at the moment building relationships with organisations and clubs, and we know our supporters clubs are growing there too, as they are around the world.

"We have got a very good product, so it is very important we go and look at these markets, and make sure we are on the case.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
of course it's about money, who started it though ? :finger:

we are about the only major team who doesn't drag our squad half way round the world in pre-season for a few million though, so we at least never compromise the sporting side of the club for money like others do.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
we should become a plc

·
Registered
74 Posts
No I dont thin it would be great to go PLC. When you move to your new ground you should have enough money to compete with likes of Man United, Chelsea and Real Madrid.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Not Chelsea but United and Madrid yes.

No club in the world can compete with the fortunes of Chelsea and thats an unfortunate fact!:sigh:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I don't remember who said it (may've been Capello), but: "there are two transfer markets. One for every club in Europe, and one for Chelsea."

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
khimik said:
I don't remember who said it (may've been Capello), but: "there are two transfer markets. One for every club in Europe, and one for Chelsea."
Erm..... many people have been saying that. :eek:

·
63,337 Posts
we won't need to compete with Chelsea, as long as we have enough money to buy players when needed that's all we need, we certainly have no wishes to go out and spend £24m on a player of Drogba's calibre.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jern Lizardhous said:
of course it's about money, who started it though ? :finger:

we are about the only major team who doesn't drag our squad half way round the world in pre-season for a few million though, so we at least never compromise the sporting side of the club for money like others do.
Jern, if a bloke starts kicking a another bloke, and one more joins in, does that make the second bloke innocent cause he didn't start it :pp (not the bloke on the ground you understand ;) ) anyway, enough of the metaphors :sleepy:

Basically, you've been telling me how Arsenal are above avarice, yet here we are :D I expect to see Arsenal playing in America sometime soon....say the next 3 years or so. I'll be you a plate of welks down at your local chippy taht it'll happen :lick: :pp

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I don't think we'll go to America as long as Wenger is in charge. He doesn't like it and doesn't want to take the team there, so we won't.

If anything, we'll go to Dubai.

·
63,337 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
Jern, if a bloke starts kicking a another bloke, and one more joins in, does that make the second bloke innocent cause he didn't start it :pp (not the bloke on the ground you understand ;) ) anyway, enough of the metaphors :sleepy:

Basically, you've been telling me how Arsenal are above avarice, yet here we are :D I expect to see Arsenal playing in America sometime soon....say the next 3 years or so. I'll be you a plate of welks down at your local chippy taht it'll happen :lick: :pp
that's a crap analogy, better one would be if one guy starts stealing all the food from the village and everyone turns a blind eye is one man entitled to go and steal just a bit of bread to feed his poor little family, oh and i forgot they have a sick child who hasn't eaten for a week because of the lack of food.:D

this is not decided yet anyway, and even if it is it might just be the property side of the club, i don't think it is of any detriment to the supporters though anyway, more the detriment is the huge amount of corporal tickets at the new stadium, but if that's the only way we can compete it's something we have to do, as long as there is some new season tickets at the same price it's better than it is now.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
As long as they make the crap tickets relatively cheap (30quid range) I'm happy. I wouldn't care where I'd sit there.

·
63,337 Posts
yeah there will be more cheap tickets than before i think and with better views, shame that so many tickets are going to the prawn sandwich brigade, we could have done with an extra 10,000 capacity in order to sort more people on the waiting lists out with tickets though.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Have to admit though, the Prawn Sarnie areas look bloody nice. Well worth the money spent on the joint if you ask me.

·
63,337 Posts
of course, it's the best thing that's ever happened to the club, i am just greedy and 70,000 would have been better for me, that would have taken 10,000 loyal fans off the waiting lists.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts